Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: SII buggy - My first Build
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    Two buggies! My goodness! Most builders have trouble finishing one buggy, let alone two!!

Regarding the engine, you shouldn't have any problems with the Honda clone engine. They're ubiquitous these days and they seem to hold up pretty good. After you get everything settled in, you'll want to check out affordablegokarts web site. They develop Honda clone engines for racing. You probably don't need a full blown racing engine, but there are some modifications that you can make that offer a lot of bang for the buck. Removing the governor is the first step and that costs nothing. They show an easy way to reroute the throttle linkage to remove the governor.

You'll also need to decide on a torque converter setup. There are various options, but none of them are cheap, in my opinion. You'll want to avoid the Comet 30 TorqueVerter setup since it won't hold up to a 15+ horsepower engine, but everything else is fair game.

2. Collapse Details
    Darwin
    Thanks for the advice. I have looked at affordable go karts and they have some great ideas for engine upgrades. I will definitely incorporate some of the options into my buggy. As for the torque converter, I wish I had know this two days sooner as I found two new unused torque converts in the local adds at a great price so I bought them. They are Comet 500 torque converters. Does anyone know how these compare to the comet 30? I am hoping that a 500 is better than a 30. Also does anyone know a good source for belts for these? Is. This something a local auto store would carry?

3. Collapse Details
    I have finally had a chance to do some research on the Comet 30 vs. Comet 500 torque converters and I believe the Comet 500 will work just fine for my buggy using a 15 hp motor. The Comet 30 looks as though is is only rated for 8 hp max and the 500 is rated for 16 hp if it is 4 stroke motor (23 hp if it is a 2 stroke). I have attached a picture showing the Comet 500 Torque Converter I am planning on using. I still need to procure a motor and have decided that, unless something better comes along, I will be using the 15 hp Horizontal shaft home depot motor. Also, when I took the driven pulley out of the box I found a belt in the bottom of the box. I don't know if it is the correct length, but at least it's a start.

4. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    I use the Comet 500 torque converter on my minibike with an old Tecumseh 8hp engine. You'd be surprised how fast it can go and how well it climbs. The 500 clutch is definitely a better option than the model 30. It is also very reliable.

Manufacturing Supply has a handy chart that shows the center-to-center distance for the clutches, depending on the belt. Look under Go Kart -> Clutches -> Comet 500 -> Replacement Belts. The chart is at the bottom of the page.

5. Collapse Details
    Darwin,
    Thanks, based on the SII Drawings, it looks as though the belt I have will be too short. The good news is that Manufacturing supply carries belts for the Comet 500 Torque Converter. So Once I figure out the exact length I need I now know where to find them. Also, I have been thinking about the design of the SII Buggy and have make a sketch of what I would like to change. See below. I am planning on making a small cargo area above the motor with side rails and Diamond Tread Aluminum panels and Deck. I just want an area big enough to carry a cooler or an extra gas can or fishing pole. Also, I just like the way it looks better.

6. Collapse Details
    I like the look too.

7. Collapse Details
    The drawings i have are calling out a 1" bore keyed sleeve for use on my primary drive shaft. I also need some 1" non-keyed sleeve material. Does anyone know where to find this material? I have been unable to find these. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your updates! I'm in Utah also and want to build a shredder. Helps to see all the ideas etc...

9. Collapse Details
    I always check NPS I found 4' of 1-3/16" keyed axlefor scrap price. I spent like 3.00 bucks on
    It.

10. Collapse Details
    What is NPS? I tried doing a Google search but didnt find anything that looked like the right thing. Also, I already have the drive shafts for my kart. But the plans are calling out a sleeve that slides over the drive shaft and acts as a spacer between the bearings and/or sprockets. The drawings are calling out both a sleeve with a keyway and a sleeve without a keyway. I have not been able to find the sleeve with the keyway. I think it is possible to use a 1.25" tube with 1/8" wall thickness for the non-keyway sleeves. If anyone know where to find the sleeve with keyway I would love to know.

Also, I have spent the last couple fab sessions building a shed to store my karts in. With winter fast approaching I want to make sure my wife can park in the garage and I will need a place to work where it's dry. I am hoping to finish soon so that I can get back to working on the karts.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast