Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    First time buggy builder
    hey i'm 16 yrs old and me n my dad are about to start building our first mini buggy, we saw this one, and liked the design, wut plans did u build this one off of? what are some of the specs? how long did it take to build? how much money did u put into it? ( we're not wanting to spend a ton of money) what kind of engine are u using on it? what kind of engine would u recommend we use on ours? do you have any recommendations for a first time buggy builder?

I know these things take time to build...BUT i really want it for the summer to race my friends and their souped up gocarts, this will deffenantly blow them away! haha

and i dont think my dad realizes that this project isnt gona be cheap. so any suggestions on how to make a nice buggy like rowycoracing's buggy in the first pics, but cheaper? because i'm sure that thing cost a pretty penny

i'm not quite sure yet, but i think we're going to build the frame ourselves, my dad also doesnt think we need to buy plans, he thinks all i need to do is get him some pictures (front, back, side, angle shots) and build it from that, is that even possible? i told him i think it would be a lot harder.

thank you very much!

(and a special thanks to those who have already started helpin me out on rowycoracing's thread!)

2. Collapse Details
    Research ,research and more research.
    http://www.yellowdogracing.com/
    http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/ind ... owforum=49
    http://www.rorty-design.com/content/rorty_racing.htm
    http://www.hotbuggy.com/HotBuggy.htm
    Check out the videos on hotbuggy (the long one) to get you inspired(and show your dad how cool these things can be).

Go to the tech. sections of the sites i listed and read,read,read.
    HTH
    Hammer
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

3. Collapse Details
    I see not to many people are offering yet, here is some of what i know and or am doing on my car, doesnt mean its the right way just my way.

My car is 9'2" long overall

Wheelbase is gonna be about 89-92 +/- havent got it set in stone yet.

My frame is .120 dom tubing, .095 works well but i got a deal on the .120, it is about 2x the price of hrew, if you were to use hrew, i believe i would go with the .120.

My car has 25/12/10 rear wheels, 22/8/10 fronts, cost about 500.00 with the douglas red label wheels,

My rear stub axles and hubs are from desert karts, i will not use them again

my front hubs and snubs are from desert karts also, probbaly wouldnt use them again either.

Front suspension is a arm, bushing mounts to frame, delrin.

Rear suspension is 5 link, has 20 3/4" heims and 20 tube inserts, 350.00 with what i am using, Trailing arms may be better for you. I know you can build cheaper, and if built like yoshi does probbaly easy also.

Suspension seat, race trim, knockoff off a beard and 1/3 cost less.

Engine, 02 gsxr 600, fuel injected, have about 900 in it buying fuel pump, header, etc. bought on ebay.

I figure after redoing some stuff, i will be at about 4500-6000 for the build, and about 500 hours labor. designing, imagineering, redesigning, etc. etc. If had everything probbaly could build in 50 or 60 man hours.

I would strongly suggest buying some plans, i tried the picture build the first time, cost me about 300.00 in tubing, i have fabbed up alot of stuff, i am surely no pro, but its not the same looking at pics, you may be disapointed, if you wanted a single seater like girard builds, i will give you a set of plans, they are the originals, and i have never built.
    And i dont believe they have a legal resale agreement so i can give just wouldnt copy them.

Any more questions, feel free to ask, but i claim not to be an expert by anymeans.

4. Collapse Details
    JUst a couple of questions.........

1) Do you have a tubing bender?
    2) Do you have a tubing notcher?

If either of the answers are NO...you may want to think about buying a pre-made frame. We looked into bending up our frames from scratch...and I will say, I am glad we did not attempt it ourselves....I am not sure where you live, but Girard has a couple of nice frames that you can weld together and change as you go.....we probbly would have been in Bugpacs shoes wasting hundreds of dollars on metal....looking at pictures is soo much different than looking at the plans, then bending each frame rail exactly the same......you and you dad may be more handy, but check out the metal prices compared to the pre made frame and shipping.....call ALAN at Girard, he is a great contact......GOOD LUCK

5. Collapse Details
    we're thinkin of square tubing for main frame and round tubing for rollcage
    and we're trying to figure out how wide to make the rear axels since we cant find deminsions on rear axels, we were thinkin of using 260z rear axels since we already have them, would that work? and modifying the axels as needed rear axels and hubs and letting that set the wheelbase demensions.
    did you build your own rear drive assembly and break or did you buy it?

and that would be great if you could get me the plans, maybe that would give us an idea on rear axel deminsions.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ReinIse
    we're thinkin of square tubing for main frame and round tubing for rollcage
    and we're trying to figure out how wide to make the rear axels since we cant find deminsions on rear axels, we were thinkin of using 260z rear axels since we already have them, would that work? and modifying the axels as needed rear axels and hubs and letting that set the wheelbase demensions.
    did you build your own rear drive assembly and break or did you buy it?

and that would be great if you could get me the plans, maybe that would give us an idea on rear axel deminsions.
    the plans are for the chasis only, like i said not that great, try to talk him into buying the plans from desert karts they are like 70.00 and it shows you how to build everything. the 260 z is a toss up not sure how well they will work for you, i believe that car has a fuji differential, ask your dad? or just talk him into getting on the forum and doing some reading hisself, you guys will learn a lot.

7. Collapse Details
    well again, if u could send us the plans, that would be great.

we went to home depot tonight and got wood and all that stuff to make the table out of so we should be starting soon.

i asked him about the 260 axle and he said hes not sure.

oh, and what is "hrew"?

8. Collapse Details
    hrew is a less expensive tubing grade, dom is more expensive, do a googl search on "steel tubing". pm me your email address.

9. Collapse Details
    is DOM better? is it worth the money? or should we just go hrew?

10. Collapse Details
    1) Do you have a tubing bender?
    2) Do you have a tubing notcher?
    no we dont have either..."yet" my dad says
    and he hasnt told me yet if we're going to build the frame ourselves or buy a kit.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast