1. Collapse Details
    Kids Electric Dirt Bike Build
    In keeping with my tradition, I went ahead and built something and am now going to share it on the forum as opposed to keeping everyone hanging with weekly/monthly update . Recently my daughter expressed interest in having her own electric dirt bike, which I thought would be fine. Having looked at the options that are available for purchase it was clear that if I wanted to avoid spending $3k or so on a quality machine I would simply build my own.

Luckily, friend of mine was selling a pretty well thrashed KTM 50sr - which I picked up for a small fee. After selling the complete engine on eBay I sourced a few lower power electric components - a 500w chinese scooter motor (model MY1020), a 1500w Kelly controller, snagged a 1kwh lithium module I had laying around and started laying it out. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make everything fit so I just cut the frame and made my own frame section that held onto the battery module nicely that only requires a velcro strap to hold the battery in. Since my daughter is a beginner, I was more interested in run time than performance - the bike will no joke run for 3-4 hrs with normal riding as this 1kwh battery module is overkill. I'm not running any kind of battery management system since this battery is 6S, it can be charged on a hobby style charger (takes 24hrs...). In situations where it needed to be fast charged a person could just charge it at the proper voltage and the cells would likely remain in balance for a few cycles before needing to go back on the slow charger/balancer.

Lastly in the build I 3d printed an instrument bezel to house the watt meter which is not needed but nice for Dad to see how the battery is doing, and I also printed a chain guard to tidy things up. Overall the bike turned out nice and she is very happy with it!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Kids Electric Dirt Bike Build
    Here are some additional Pictures showing the build and one happy kiddo riding it!

3. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    I love it!
    Very ingenuitive. Nice work.

4. Collapse Details
    Yup, very cool, just like the rest of the stuff you built.

Is that your yard? I remember seeing farm buildings in the last vids?
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

5. Collapse Details
    VERY COOL!! My daughter is wanting a dirt bike now too. Probably will be a PW 50 or 80 though.
    NICE grass BTW. Makes my OCD relax. LOL

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

6. Collapse Details
    Good observations, it is my yard! I bought a house a little less than a year ago that was repossessed and needed a little work (more work than the average person would likely want to do to a house built in 2007). Fortunately I still have the other property where my shop is, which is only a couple miles from the new place. I also recently picked up a china-polaris rzr 170 that will be undergoing the electric treatment as well for the kids (engine blown up). As is tradition I probably won't post anything about that until it's done either Thanks for the compliments on the build, my daughter was riding it around more yesterday, she loves it!

7. Collapse Details
    Nice work. I seem to be going the opposite direction...trying to do away with the battery toys and switch the grandson to gas power.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_J View Post
    Nice work. I seem to be going the opposite direction...trying to do away with the battery toys and switch the grandson to gas power.
    There's a difference between a Power Wheels, and Dain putting real power to the wheels