Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    05 Tazcar, just showing it off
    This has been a good ride but Im going to have part with it soon due to some back problems I cant seem to overcome. Its a 2005 Tazcar made by ATV Motorsports, formerly ATV Racing, in Arizona. It was born with a 2 stroke snowmobile engine but now has been transplanted with a Yamaha Apex (RX1) 1000. It screams across the dunes. It has the RPM F&R gearbox, Team Tied driven clutch. Its just a dream to drive in the sand, turns on a dime for a mid size sand car. Has about 170hp. Anyhow not ready to sell just yet and I have a friend who has a Redline Revolt that I might be trading with. Enjoy the pics!!

P1010368.jpgP1010384.jpgP1010352.jpgP1010355.jpgP1010371.jpg

2. Collapse Details
    Re: 05 Tazcar, just showing it off
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Awesome! Killer machines, I have thousands of miles behind the wheel of them.

Do NOT trade for a Redline - they are junk. You’ll be exceptionally disappointed if you do.

3. Collapse Details
    Hey Kfab, been reading your post for years...Ive heard all about the Revolts shortcomings but I need a sand car that has a good ride in the sand when the sand is choppy. I have demoed several cars at the dunes and the one with the best performance suspension wise, I mean the smoothest over choppy sand (thats what kills my back), and the revolt was exceptionally smooth. I tried the Wildcat, the new Can Am X3, countless RZR's, old school long travel Pilots and the Revolt. Now theres a guy in Tulsa, OK who built the medic buggy for Little Sahara Oklahoma and hes great with suspension. He told me that the bypass shocks would make for a better ride. But Im not sure if I should invest anymore into the Taz. I dont know? Im on the fence. I just know that the Revolt would be a "jump in and ride". If the Taz still rattles my back in the choppy sand after I install the bypass shocks then Im screwed, cant afford that

4. Collapse Details
    It’s not the car or suspension it’s the shock tuning you need to fix. It can be made as supple as you want with the correct valving.

What seat do you have in it and how leaned back is it? Seating can make a large difference too.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    It’s not the car or suspension it’s the shock tuning you need to fix. It can be made as supple as you want with the correct valving.

What seat do you have in it and how leaned back is it? Seating can make a large difference too.

Ok Im listening ... First let me say that my back problems are caused by two degenerated discs in my upper back, so the rattling around in the cockpit aggravates my upper back and neck. Anyhow the pic I just posted shows the angle of the seat. Im pretty green when it comes to shocks and valving so I dont know where to start when it comes to shock tuning. I would like to be able to send them(shocks) off to Neil or someone and tell them to dial them to the softest ride for my make and model Taz, Is that possible?

P1010367.jpg
    Last edited by stix; 03-24-2018 at 11:38 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Seat position looks pretty good. Moving the steering wheel towards your chest will help with lessening back fatigue. You go from using upper back muscles to the muscles in your chest. That alone will help. Mine is always within 8-10” of my chest with my arms bent at the elbows 90 degrees. It also gives you more leverage in holding your upper body in place.

Where are you located?

Get in touch with the guys at Fodrill’s over off Olive and the 101 and talk to them. Tell them what you’re trying to accomplish. They know their stuff and are very reasonable.

Hit up bdkw1 here on the site and see what he has to say.

There’s not going to be a known “setting”, you’ll ask for, it’s going to be more of a description. You have a starting point: valving in the shocks, spring rates.
    Start working from there. You can make it work very well.

7. Collapse Details
    How much air are you running in the tires, they look pretty plump.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    Seat position looks pretty good. Moving the steering wheel towards your chest will help with lessening back fatigue. You go from using upper back muscles to the muscles in your chest. That alone will help. Mine is always within 8-10” of my chest with my arms bent at the elbows 90 degrees. It also gives you more leverage in holding your upper body in place.

Where are you located?

Get in touch with the guys at Fodrill’s over off Olive and the 101 and talk to them. Tell them what you’re trying to accomplish. They know their stuff and are very reasonable.

Hit up bdkw1 here on the site and see what he has to say.

There’s not going to be a known “setting”, you’ll ask for, it’s going to be more of a description. You have a starting point: valving in the shocks, spring rates.
    Start working from there. You can make it work very well.
    Ok great, looks like I might just be able to keep my Taz. Ill put the Revolt on the back burner for now. Im in Oklahoma so I might have to ship them to Fodrills if they can help. Thanks Kfab for the help!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    How much air are you running in the tires, they look pretty plump.
    Good eye, They are plumped up just for storage as they tend to get flat rather quickly. I usually run 8 lbs plus or minus depending on sand conditions

10. Collapse Details
    If chop is the issue, adding more bleed will work wonders. Opening up a bleed hole or 2 will smooth it right out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast