Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    a couple more ?'s for the machinests
    Since the machining I do is strictly for fun, I tend to buy cheap tooling. *Such is the case with the boring head I just got a while ago. *I went to use it for the first time today and realized that all the boring bits were pointing to the right when stood on end and looking at the flat part of the bit. *Not sure if that makes sense or not, but the problem was I wanted to mount the bits in the holder horizontally, but to do it I had to point the cutter on the bits up, and cut from the bottom side of the material up. * If I had mounted it so I could have cut downward it would have unscrewed the boring tool. * * I haven't taken the time to go look at the tool sites yet, but the question is, ...... is there bits that point the other way so you can cut downward and not unscrew the tool?

Next question *if you are still with me * *I need to cut a .050 wide snap ring grove. *The thinnest thing I have for the late is the cutoff too that is about .100. *So do you grind a piece of high speed steel down to *.05 wide, or do I need to buy some special tooling? * I am guessing I can grind down the high speed still bit or else grind down a cut off bit, but I am a complete newbie on grinding tooling. * Any hints or pointers appreciated.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: a couple more ?'s for the machinests
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Grind away. *If you're just going to do a couple grooves, do the grinding method for the tool. *Don't forget to give a tad of relief to the sides of the cutter so they don't drag in the sides of the groove as you cut it.

3. Collapse Details
    You can get correct boring bars pretty cheap. Lots of places cary the China cheapy's. Try McMaster carr, MSC.

4. Collapse Details
    Kwik can you post some pics of your boring setup?Be easier to help you out.Should be able to work with what you have.

like was said you can grind either a parting tool or a standard tool insert.After a while you'll have so many odd tools ground up you wont be able to find the one you need. Try to start with the smallest tool bit you have so theres less grinding.Quench it often to keep it cool and as K said grind any shape you want and add some relief.(top of the tool is wider than the rest)
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

5. Collapse Details
    Bullnerd

Not very good pictures, but it is just a basic boring head. * When looking at the bits in the holder, the brazed on carbides all point to the left (I might have said right before??) * *When looking at the boring head, notice I have the carbide pointing up. *If I turned it so it was pointing down, I would have to reverse the mill and it would unscrew the bottom half of the boring head from the R8 Adapter. *

I still haven't taken the time to go to the tooling sites and see if they make the bits so they go both ways or not. *It was just more of a curiosity thing since I got what I needed done by cutting from the bottom up.

6. Collapse Details
    Good god what are you doing?

Takle that thing out and put it in the far right hole facing down. They are on the correct side and will work fine. You only stick them out the side when you are trying to cut a very large hole.

7. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    I agree to move the boring bar, but I am not familiar with the R8 adapter. *Your saying if you run it counter clockwise it will unscrew?? Is this a home made or custom adapter?
    I know boring heads can be a few$$$ but if it were me I would make the your R8 adapter a perminent part of your boring head (weld)
    It may be cheaper to buy another adapter than going thru all the cutting tools

8. Collapse Details
    First of all those boring bars are for using in the bottom holes of the boring head only. They will not work correctly in the end hole at all.For that you need a different style bar and cutters/inserts. The boring head is designed to run in a clockwise (forward) rotation only. Btw take the head off the r8 adapter ,clean the threads of the adapter and the head with brakleen,throw the adapter in the freezer for an hour, put the head in a very warm spot.Use red loctite assemble snugly and you're done with the correct assembling of the unit.Even then they are not designed to run in reverse. I also use those cheap boring bars for non-critical stuff.If you break one who cares? But you will be amazed at the far supeior results that come from a quality bar.Tha thing that I have found to be true is that cheap tooling and a great machine gives decent results.However you can get great results with a cheaper machine with high quality tooling.If you gotta conserve on money do it by buying quality tooling and save money elsewhere.There's nothing wrong with the boring head you have ,you just need the proper tooling.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoDie\";p=\"34902
    I agree to move the boring bar, but I am not familiar with the R8 adapter. *Your saying if you run it counter clockwise it will unscrew?? Is this a home made or custom adapter?
    I know boring heads can be a few$$$ but if it were me I would make the your R8 adapter a perminent part of your boring head (weld)
    It may be cheaper to buy another adapter than going thru all the cutting tools
    DO NOT WELD ON IT !!!!!!!!!!!There is NO reason to do so and a few dozen reasons not to! They are designed to screw on only.Please see my previous post.

10. Collapse Details
    I was cutting a hole larger than could be done by sticking it out the bottom. *I realize it is a little unorthodox, but it worked just fine for what I was doing. *

So what do the tools look that are for sticking out the side of the bar?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast