Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Flyerrider's Garage/Shop Makeover
    Hey! Some actual updates from me! Between the multiple shoulder surgeries I've had over the last year and a half, several house projects, helping my parents move to the local mountains, and playing in the mountains and dez in the golf cart, I haven't been doing much MBN related. For the last 2 years I've been renting a shop with 3 friends. While initially this seemed great to have all the tools and projects in one spot, it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Having 3 friends with constant projects and one of them needing to have an episode of "Hoarders" about him, translated into having a shop space that was far from organized, pretty chaotic, and the environment provided countless distractions and interruptions. The simple "Hey could you hold this tube while I tack it" request often turned into me pulling the "you're doing it wrong" card and spending the next several days working on a friend's project. The shop is also 25 minutes away. What I failed to realize is just how much work I got done in the evenings when my projects were in the garage and how a 25 minute drive killed my motivation. Also, having to spend 30 minutes moving other people's shit around just to work on my car is super annoying. So, with this much being said, I'm super over the shop, the expense, the drive, and the cluttered chaos. So a few months ago my wife and I started talking about getting out of the shop (which she more than supported). I then decided to take advantage of her support and convince her that I REALLY needed to redo the garage. And when I say redo the garage, I mean transform it from an open studded, non insulated, no electrical, POS into my dream shop space with climate control, insulation, nice cabinets, a big TV and sound system, multiple air drops, a 175psi compressor in the attic, and tons and tons of outlets. So many outlets that I won't ever need to use an extension cord. I HATE extension cords!

The project started by ripping down the existing drywall on the wall that needed to have the sub panel installed in. The drywall looked like it was done by a drunk 6 year old.

I then mounted the sub panel. Initially I was hoping to not have to upgrade my main panel to 200A but this didn't prove to be the case

Then I got hot so instead of shaving my head and running for class president I went to home depot to get an 8" T. BEST UPGRADE EVER!

Then I started the long process of running electrical. Apparently I didn't take any pictures of this process. I installed 12 20A double gang outlets, 3 20A single gang outlets, and 3 50A 220 outlets. The 3 single gang outlets are for a side mount garage door opener and high track system, the compressor outlet in the attic, and lighting for the attic. There are only 3 outlets per circuit so running multiple tools at the same time shouldn't be a problem. The compressor is on a dedicated circuit as well. I also ran 12/2 in the rafters for 6 48" flush mount troffer lights.

Then I started the super fun process of patching several large holes that were from the repipe and hanging insulation and drywall

Then I started framing. I had to bring the wall out (on the left side of the picture) for a few reasons. First, I needed to cover the main water pipe that was brought outside the wall since the plumber couldn't solder a 90 inside the stud. The second was that the wall was far from square. The third was that I needed a wall to wall dimension of 84.25" for the two permanently mounted US General 13 drawer 44" tool boxes that will serve as the base for the work table. The boxes measure 42" wide. I also built the platform for the tool boxes. The jack and 4x4 were to jack up the sagging beam 1.25".

Then I finished framing around the water heater and HVAC. I brought the framing outside of the platform to provide clearance to mount french doors.

Hanging drywall. The garage and foundation are far from square which proved to be fun... You can also see how I routed the water heater pan drain to outside the garage.

Framing out the lights and hanging insulation. With the R30 in the ceiling, my garage is now better insulated than my house

Up until this point I had done everything by myself. With my shoulder being the way it is, there is no way I could hang the ceiling with or without a jack. So I called a friend and he gave me the number to his drywall guy. For $950 in labor he hung the ceiling (yesterday) and is doing all of the tape and mud. Since I was going to hire someone to do the $500 in tape and mud work anyway, I figure the net cost of having someone hang the ceiling was $200 if I bought a drywall jack..

So, other than the initial tape and mud work being done as I type this, This brings us up to date. Saturday morning the garage door, motor, and tracks are being taken down. While it is down I am drywalling the garage door wall. Saturday afternoon the side mount garage door opener and high track garage door system is being installed. The tape and mud work will be done by Tuesday and then it's on to paint, hanging the first round of cabinets over the work bench, and installing the two tool boxes. The ceiling will be semigloss white and the walls will be semigloss gray. While gray is bad for light reflection it is much better at hiding scuffs and grime from fabricating. Semigloss helps with wiping down grime. The tool boxes, cabinets, and garage doors (two entry doors and the french doors on the water heater/HVAC) will be gloss red doors with black bases/trim. I am going to use 3 of these cabinets over the work bench and probably 5 on the wall with the TV. The doors will be taken off and powdercoated red.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-29-...W-US/206288225

More updates to come!
    Last edited by flyerrider; 10-12-2017 at 11:35 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Flyerrider's Garage/Shop Makeover
    Blog Entries
    What, no stilts? That guy ain't a real drywaller.

3. Collapse Details
    Awesome dude!

Did you measure the outlets over the boxes from the floor or the base? I could see me sliding the box in and it covers up the outlet!

How old is your house? I am suprised at the look of those studs. I thought the house was much newer.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    What, no stilts? That guy ain't a real drywaller.
    LOL. We were actually talking about that. They are no longer OSHA approved and there are big fines if caught using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    Awesome dude!

Did you measure the outlets over the boxes from the floor or the base? I could see me sliding the box in and it covers up the outlet!

How old is your house? I am suprised at the look of those studs. I thought the house was much newer.
    24.125" to the bottom of the outlets. I received conflicting code information as far as the height requirement. One electrician said 18" and the other said 24" so I went 1/8" over the higher measurement. My house was built in '87 but we are close to the beach and it can get fairly humid. That or they used recycled studs from the 40s.
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

5. Collapse Details
    I meant the outlets over your tool boxes? I hope they are more than 24"

I use my framing hammer, put the handle on the floor and scratch the claw on the stud, done! No idea how high it is. LOL.

Yeah the studs look way older, actually it just looks like that one wall.

did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

6. Collapse Details
    I dont know much about remodeling or electricity... but i always like watching garage builds, etc. Looks good so far.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    I meant the outlets over your tool boxes? I hope they are more than 24"
    Oh! Yeah they are 4" above the table top if I remember correctly. I'd like to go with a butcher block work top but the 84x30 measurements would make it pretty expensive. For now it will get the finest MDF Home depot has to offer!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I dont know much about remodeling or electricity... but i always like watching garage builds, etc. Looks good so far.
    Neither do I! I have a few friends that are contractors and electricians though so I've been bugging them with questions.

The first round of mud went on today. He focused on the corner bead and mud on the draw bridge (as BDKW calls it) stair case and stair case opening. Tomorrow morning I am going in to work late so we can get the staircase rehung and out of the way.
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

8. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Shop sounds great!! I click photosuckit to see pics, and got to see a few before I wanted to put on my hockey mask and take a machete to all the damn popup ads. That place not even lookable anymore.

9. Collapse Details
    Does anyone know of a photosuckit alternative?

10. Collapse Details
    Yesterday i could see all your pics on standard google.

Today installed chrome on my laptop (different computer than gooogle one) and was able to easily post one of my pics from PB to MBN.....but now I can only see one of your pics with chrome.....and none on google!?

Did you do the chrome ad-on thingy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast