Thread: tube bender

1. Collapse Details
    tube bender

2. Collapse Details
    Re: tube bender
    Junk junk junk junk junk junk junk junk junk and they have been called crap as well.

The common name for them is the pipe kinker..... Guess why!
    Also if your gonna mess with one and live near a Harbor Frieght thye sell them for MUCH less that that crook.

For the tubing you will waste kinking it and all the trouble you will go thru to get a fair bend (I'll expalin some below) you can work those hours at your job and buy a decent bender that will be quick and easy to use.

The Kinker you liked to can be made to bend OK at best but you have to modifly the dies a lot and some people have got it to not kink by packing the tubes with sand and capping the ends off. But the time and effort to do all this is again easyier to work a extra week or so at work and buy a nicer unit. Sometimes you can finda good used one for a fraction of the price. Get a PT-105 or a JD-2 or build a gottrikes bender and sjut buy the dies for it. PT also makes a few simple stand alone benders that are easy to use and do not require a lot of space

Tube_Bender

Lotta people built this Gottrikes above or a version if it and like it.

Tube Bending Machinery, Pipe Benders, Tubing Notchers, Bead Rollers

The HMP200 is decent if you are short on space and do not want to be anchored to one spot. Its not super fast but for the hobby builder its dang handy.
    The PT 105 is nice (Its what I have) but its gotta be bolted to a concrete floor to use the handle (and that handle take a lot of strong pulls with bigger tube) or you need to build a stand and add hydraulics and thats usually not cheap.

But the one you posted is made for something other than buggy building.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

3. Collapse Details
    what would be the best tube bender for under 300 ?

4. Collapse Details
    Honestly there is not a good one for under $300.00(That I have ever heard of). Unless you shop around and find a killer deal on a used one. But that might take a while. The little extra sent on a nicer bender will be eaiser to work and save you money in the long run.

But The Pro-tools HMP200 is the cheapest on I know of as long as its dies can make the bends you want. You need to go look at its die list to see if they can.

I have see a couple buggies built with no bent tubes. Just notched tubes. This makes a unique looking ride but it can add a tiny amount of weight in the extra welding.

The other option is to have someone local to you bend the tubes up. If you know what you need a person with a bender can bend it up pretty easy and usually pretty cheap. You just gotta have the tubes marked for them.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

5. Collapse Details
    here is what you should get.This is what I would get If I had the money
    TUBE SHARK - TubeShark portable hydraulic tube benders

6. Collapse Details
    You can get the plans for the HPM200 for free according to their site. You will still have to buy the dies you need. Dies alone are a couple hundred bucks. Lucky for me I know someone with a JD2 hydraulic bender with all the dies I could ever need. Spend a little more now and save a lot later, just my opinion. Rorty has some bender plans as well that you build everything yourself if you have all the tools including the dies. I don't know how well they work, but if they are anything like his buggies they should work great.

No.1 Tube Bender.
    No.2 Tube Bender Manual.
    No.3 Tube Bender Manual.

7. Collapse Details

8. Collapse Details
    I like this thread I was just about to start the same thread. I have bought 2 tube kinkers one from harbour freight and took it back and bought another one from tractor supply ( thinking, maybe I was doing something wrong or that you get what you pay for) nope they both suck. lets get some feed back on the ebay bender.eBay. I would consider getting one of these can they be modified to exept a a pnumatic jack?
    DOES THIS LOOK STRAIGHT OR ARE THE FUMES JUST GETTING TO ME?

9. Collapse Details
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

10. Collapse Details
    buy a JD2 for the price of the ebay one with shipping. Proven, common dies etc. Try not to reinvent the wheel. The JD2 is probably the least expensive for what you get.

OR, if this is just a hobby, some of the better tool rental places (NOT HOME DEPOT), I'm talking the places that rent real back hoes etc, they sometimes have tube benders for rent.

Unless your making more then one buggy, measure out what you need, go to a shop, spend 150 bucks, and have someone else make your bends. Or talk to you buddies and go in on one. Thats what we're doing. I'm buying the bender, my brothers buying one die, and our other friend another.