Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Latest rage steering rack
    I purchased a Latest Rage end load steering rack, haven't mounted it in a car yet, so I can't yet comment on it's functionality ( though it looks like it should be ok).

But I can tell you the spec's promoted by the sellers are wrong.

It's claimed to have 2" of movement from centre to lock, but straight out of the box mine had 1.75". .25" is a fair amount of steering to loose.

I only post this in case other people design their buggy on CAD to suit sellers spec's while the parts are on their way, like I did Probably better not to rely on sellers websites for accurate dimensions and wait for the parts to arrive before cutting any metal.
    Last edited by intfit; 02-20-2011 at 01:07 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Latest rage steering rack
    which part number?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sandparts.com View Post
    which part number?
    Sorry Sandparts, don't know how I missed your question.

14-425152
    Rack & Pinions - Page 3

Depending on the amount of rotation (where they've been tightened) The hex jam nuts hit on the aluminium block housing limiting travel at at less than 2". If you were to slightly grind the points off the jam nut or open the housing a little you'd get 2" of travel.
    Last edited by intfit; 02-20-2011 at 01:07 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Most Lateset rage products are Low quality China made. It may hold up on a light mini buggy and that about it. I suspect it will get sloppy rather quickly. IMHO.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Odyknuck View Post
    Most Lateset rage products are Low quality China made. It may hold up on a light mini buggy and that about it. I suspect it will get sloppy rather quickly. IMHO.
    I initialy bought a bunch of parts (from a yet to be start Cheetah builder) off ebay. They included one of the very light 11inch racks. Looked so light I couldn't bring myself to use it. So I purchased the one above from the US over the net. I was a little surprised to find it wasn't "servicable". The steel rack runs straight on the the aluminium of the body.
    But as you said it should be OK seen as I'm using it on a mini buggy. In fact it actualy seems reasonably solid, but wear is inevitable I just hope its years and not months.
    Because I live in Australia I have to order virtualy every part sight unseen over the net and hope for the best
    Last edited by intfit; 02-20-2011 at 02:15 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Even the SACO rack I have on my Woodsbuggy has wear. As with the LR the rack rides in the aluminum housing with no way to adjust it. You can however buy replacement parts for the SACO line. I don't know if their Magnam line has adjustable gibs or replaceable ware surfaces or not.

7. Collapse Details
    This is what you need.
    Rack Snuggy for all 425152 Rack and Pinons

Let me know. I have received nothing but positive feedback from people using these.

8. Collapse Details
    Do they make one for the center load Saco rack?

9. Collapse Details

10. Collapse Details
    Link? As i recall on my rack the sides are worn on an angle so forcing the rack up into the housing with a gib plate will only do so much for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast