Thread: Rorty R6 Plans

1. Collapse Details
    Rorty R6 Plans
    I received my Rorty R6 plans today and - WOW! :lol: Best by far.
    As I mentioned before, I have most of the commercially available buggy plans in my drawer - ST2, Shredder abd SII, Piranha (Also very good), dunebuggy.com "plans", etc. (yes, all purchased legally!!!).

Now, this may bore some, but I live in Sunny South Africa and even getting my hands on the correct size rod ends is a project in its own right. Let alone finding misalignment spacers and tube adapters. That's a mojor factor why I'll be building the R6 first. The plans include every conceivable part that I would have had difficulty with otherwise.

Here's my first question to Bob, or anyone with experience in this field.

In SA our metal sizes are slightly different to what the plans call for. What do I do, if the plans suggest say 31.8 x 2mm CDS, and I have to choose between 1.6mm and 2.5 mm available locally? Sacrifice a bit on strength and go for 1.6mm, or sacrifice a bit on weight and opt for 2.5mm? I know 1/2 mm either way sounds like splitting a short 'n curly, but I want to be sure.

Cheers

2. Collapse Details
    Glad the CD arrived safely.

Given the choice, I would definitely opt for 2.5mm wall tube; it will be much easier to weld and as long as you don't oversize too many other parts, the extra weight won't be too bad.

1.6mm tube really isn't suitable for this chassis.

3. Collapse Details
    Grinding to a halt for 2 weeks
    I've ordered the cassette plates, tensioner and brake disks from the local laser cutters, and they will be ready in about a four days or so.

However, I just got word that I have to go to Rio for two weeks, so there goes my enthusiasm!

I'm also expecting the first samples of the ferrules to be complete soon. I'm having these made, as I have not been able to source them locally and I certainly do not have the skills, or tools, to make them myself.

Hopefully the parts will arive soon so I can post some pics before I leave. I was hoping to start making the jigs, etc. as well, and I will probably be able to finish that before I leave and post pics.