Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Announcing the new Rorty R16 Shotgun.
    The word "shotgun" has been used since coaching days to describe the seat beside the driver where the shotgun-wielding guard sat. This is the sixteenth non-contracted two-seater buggy I've designed and in view of it being aimed fairly and squarely at the American market, I thought it fitting to give it the name Shotgun.

It looks just like the R82s, right? Well maybe on the surface it does, in the same way that all BMW and Porsche cars look the same. The Shotgun doesn't share a single item with the R82s with the exception of the optional R5 type cassette drive.

The main structure of the Shotgun's chassis is constructed from 1.5" tube as opposed to 1.25" tube of the earlier buggies. This provides an immensely strong chassis and surprisingly (and more importantly to most), the material is actually cheaper than 1.25" tube. The larger diameter tube will make the Shotgun eligible to enter a variety of race series in the US and other countries too.

I'm still in the process of preparing parts and materials lists and writing the instructional text for the manual, but keep an eye on this thread for the release date of the new Shotgun manual.

I've included some pictures of the new design for the members here as promised. I have omitted items such as the fuel cell, bulkheads, floor and steering wheel so you can better see the guts of it.

You'll probably notice the RPM FNR in the rear end. This is the first time I have designed the rear end of a car around Dan Roberto's excellent reverse box. There are also options of the R4 (non-jackshaft) type cassette and the R5 type cassette which will allow people to choose a drive system to suit their budget. Full mounting of all three drives will be covered in the manual.

I have cut down on custom manufactured parts which will make it easier for those without metalworking machinery to assemble their buggy. For the diehard machinists out there, drawings of all the "off-the-shelf" parts are fully covered in the manual so they can be fabricated by the average hobbyist too.

The front hubs for instance are a type of "combo" hub which are available from a number of sources, but they can also be made from the drawings in the manual. The rear hubs are what have been causing me (and to an extent, bugpac) a lot of grief. There are many "930 micro stub and hub kits" on the market, but when examined carefully, their usually custom parts which monopolises the market and drives up the component prices.

With the lighter duty stuff, what are widely suspected to be Chevy S10 hubs are in fact, custom ordered hubs, virtually identical to the S10 units, but with some little detail altered so when a replacement is wanted (or someone wants to purchase a hub for their buggy at eBay prices), they'll get a nasty shock when the stock S10 unit wont fit. I didn't want my customers to be stung with pricey custom parts, so I eventually managed to source a supply of 930 micro stubs and stock S10 hubs. The rear wheel adapters and hub caps are the only parts of the drive train that can't be bought over the counter.

There are of course inevitably going to be a number of custom parts in a vehicle such as this and to that end, I'm working to have all the custom parts produced in the US for purchase. All the details will be contained in the manual.

I'll announce the full specs, pricing and the actual release date of the manual very soon.

Last edited by amergin; 07-04-2008 at 01:53 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Announcing the new Rorty R16 Shotgun.
    nice, very nice. *when will the manual be available? *what engine would you recommend for this? *do you know roughly what it may weigh? how much will it cost to build? *how much are the plans?
    you do good work, rorty. *good looking buggy. *

3. Collapse Details
    no offence intended rorty but it looks very heavy. Especially with 1.5 in tubing. * * * * * * * *

4. Collapse Details
    Outstanding! Love the suspension. Also I percieve a bit of inward tilt at the sideof the car to the top of the cage. This will have Dune drooling like Pavlov's dog.

Vanet, larger diameter tubing does not necessarily mean heavier since it depends on wall thickness and where you use thin vs thicker material.

Rorty - what is the projected weight difference and will it have 1.5 suspension components too?

I want one . . . gonna have one . . . or at least a set of plans!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanet\";p=\"27642
    no offence intended rorty but it looks very heavy. Especially with 1.5 in tubing. * * * * * * * *
    1.5" x .093" wall tubing is lighter AND stronger than 1.25" x .12" wall tubing.

6. Collapse Details
    Rorty--
    got any basic specs for us, like wheelbase, track & length?

I like it...can I pre-order?

7. Collapse Details
    Wheeeeee, fun with paint! Since Yoshis busy, I'll play devils advocate.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tenaja\";p=\"27647
    1.5" x .093" wall tubing is lighter AND stronger than 1.25" x .12" wall tubing.
    You will journey far, Grasshopper.

Nominal 101.5" wheelbase
    Nominal 75" track
    Overall length 140"
    18" - 22" suspension travel (depending on options)

9. Collapse Details
    Ooops! Tenaja, thanks for the offer, but there's no need to pre-order. I think the price will be pretty close to that of the R82s, but all will be revealed shortly.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene\";p=\"27643
    Outstanding! Love the suspension. Also I percieve a bit of inward tilt at the sideof the car to the top of the cage. This will have Dune drooling like Pavlov's dog.

Vanet, larger diameter tubing does not necessarily mean heavier since it depends on wall thickness and where you use thin vs thicker material.

Rorty - what is the projected weight difference and will it have 1.5 suspension components too?

I want one . . . gonna have one . . . or at least a set of plans!
    Thanks for the kind words Gene. I haven't done any weight differential calcs yet, but I will have it all in the specs soon. I don't predict it will be any heavier than the R82s.

Suspension is all 1.25" tube.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast