Thread: R16 from Canada

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: R16 from Canada
    It's crazy that Ontario is that big. You up by the Manitoba border or something?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by daaboots View Post
    It's crazy that Ontario is that big. You up by the Manitoba border or something?
    I would think around Dryden

3. Collapse Details
    Put some time in on one of the trailing arms today..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Collapse Details
    Small update. Plate kit came in awhile back allowing me to continue with the frame. Been making slow but steady progress.
    Plan is to get the last tube in the front end done and get all that tacked up and have a good start on the a-arms before the seats show up which should be in about a week.

5. Collapse Details
    Awesome build so far. Keep up the good work!

6. Collapse Details
    Build is looking good! Nice to see some Rorty action.

I've been away for 2 months so haven't caught up with MBN for a bit. That was one of the reasons things didn't go smoothly for Devin. We have sorted most of it out now - just waiting on a few small parts that should be on their way now.

It is difficult to do cutting and shipping remotely as you're relying on others, it is a lot cheaper though than shipping from Australia so I gave it a try. Unfortunately I was let down by my USA contact who was too busy at the time with his paying job. Still he's made promises and I have 2 more kits on the shelf there and he's certainly learnt how to pack a little better!

I may have to revisit the DXF file supply - I know Bob ran into problems with copying of parts so I have been wary about distributing them. Cutting in Aus is a bit cheaper than the USA but freighting heavy stuff is relatively expensive.

One thing you can count on is I will always make good on orders one way or another. Things don't always go to plan or fast sometimes! I'm always happy to help through your builds as well as I hope Devin can attest.

I'm getting final machining done on front hubs and wheel centres so they will be available soon to suit a new Wilwood brake package that I've been speaking to Devin about.

I have some detailed build photos and descriptions from Kevin Downing and Roc (older build threads are here I think) both with ecotec engines; one transaxle the other is CVT. Details will be on my facebook page and rorty.net

Looking forward to more pics

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks Christian, all is going well now. Seats finally showed up a couple days ago and I started on the top layer today.. I have been using Facebook messenger to contact Christian with any questions I have. It's a excellent way to do it with the time zone differences, I ask a question during the day and most times wake up to a detailed response. Keep me updated on the front hubs we will get them on the way as soon as they are ready. I would imagine shipping across the pond won't be quick.

8. Collapse Details
    No worries, its good to be involved.
    The 5 x 205 front hubs are on their way back to the machinists for some lightening and minor mods. They are not very heavy so shipping should be okay via airmail. I'll let you know. It will be a few weeks before they are done.
    Im also doing a custom set of wheels. These have the right off-set for the r16. This can affect the steering. Kevin installed power assistance for his as he was getting too much feedback through the wheel and the steering was heavy. Too much negative off-set can do that.
    if you want Wilwood brake parts I can organise that anytime, they drop ship from Wilwood CA. I can give you a good discount too. Same goes for Latest Rage where I get a lot of stuff. I also have a steel supplier in the USA who does good prices but I think you're pretty set there.

9. Collapse Details
    FYI
    I'm speaking to another interested USA distributor who has machine shop and plasma/waterjet cutting equipment and experience. I'll post up in Rorty news once we finalise things. My original helper and I are parting company.
    Hubs are being machined along with the wheel centres and ding rings for my wheels. Hope to have them back in a few weeks. I'll post some pics to give you some ideas. Attached is what they are supposed to turn out like!

10. Collapse Details
    I'm not very good at keeping up with the build thread but here are some update pictures

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast