Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: bajaBrothers Rorty R16 finished (well almost)
    Quote Originally Posted by bajatex View Post
    I heard you guys won the last race. My friend Jeff talked to you about your car this weekend. Where is the race report?

bajatex
    A belt driven Rorty car wins a race...that answers some questions.

Congrats!

I like the action shots.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

2. Collapse Details
    Go
    Yeah we won 2 races this last Sunday. This was in San Jose del Cabo at the "Loco Sandoval" track. The track is about a mile long with some very very tough terrain. I raced my R16 about 4 weeks ago at another track and lost the sportsman buggy class on the last turn becouse of a blown belt caused by a badly located engine breather. That spewed oil on the belt and it broke. We fixed that and raced again in class 10 but ended up blowing a tire becouse I did not have innertubes in the fronts. Luckily we were able to finish that race.
    So this other race comes up and it is the final race for the Mexican National Championship that was to be held 2 hours from my house. So we decided that it would be a good oppurtunity to race against the guys that are going for the national championship.
    Oh yeah becouse of a mechanic error I seized my motor 4 days after that race. We changed the oil and blew out the external lines that go to the oil cooler, But my mechanic did not hold the line side of the AN fitting and twisted the line three times. It is in a hard to see spot behind the RPM box so neither he or I noticed. Needless to say, after 15 mins. the motor seized. The result was a seized rod bearing on piston 2 and a bent crank. Luckily I have been collecting honda blocks and stuff so I had the parts I needed to rebuild. This was my first rebuild by myself and it was a great learning experience.
    So with 6 hours on this motor we did an oil change and took her for a Race. The other Issue I had at the other race was mud flinging onto the belt on the Right hand turns causing slippage as well.
    So we built a belt deflective shield that swings open to provide access to the belt and clutches.
    Ok so now we head off to Cabo San Lucas for the mechanical revision and pre-party. Check out the photo of the hottie.
    Didn't get to sleep till one that night.
    Wake up time was 5:30 to get to the track early and try and get a good spot and acouple of laps before the race. Got to the track by 6:30 but it is already packed and they are not letting anyone on the track. Oh well.
    My first race was in the sportsman class. They allow anyone with a roll cage and a harness to race this class. So we raced against a mix of 14 cars (class 7s, 5 unlimited, 8s, a couple of 16s, 12s, a subby powered prerunner and a class 1 car. I was a little intimidated by the class 1 and some of the bigger trucks. Since I had just sighed up the night before I started in 12th position. They lined us up in three rows of five. So I was in the back center position. The take off was crazy cars all over the place bumping into each other. One car in particular kept on going for the holes I was going for and we bumped 3-4 times. Very exciting. I was able to get through the main crowd by the second corner. By the last corner I was in first place. So i started in 12th and by the first lap I was in 1st place. by lap 3 I was 1/4 lap ahead of second. My pit let us know that we were winning by lots and not to push the car to hard. So we just ran at a good speed and easily won the race. Since this was the sportsman class they only gave us 5 laps.
    After that race everyone wanted to know what was up with this funny looking short car that sounds like a mosquito. So that was cool to explain the CVT to very seasoned racers and mechanics.
    There were a total of 156 vehicles that raced that day, lots of action.
    Our next race was at 3 pm. It was soo hard not to drink beer while waiting. I switched out a fresh belt and lined up to race against the boys that were fighting for the National championship. There is one pilot in particular that is very good and was competing in 5 classes that day. 5 unlimited (in a cool porsche 911), 12, trophy truck, 1 and 10. His name is Flavio Navarro and he is a very good driver. One thing that I will say is that his car was not very modern, it is a single seat class 12 style car with a souped up vw motor.
    So now we lined up with the big boys, 7 cars total and I am in the number 5 slot on the front line. This race they gave us 6 laps. The class 10 is a fairly new class here.
    The green flag drops and we are off. By the mid point of the first lap
    I am in third. By the end of the first lap I am in second. Of course Flavio is in first. I stick with him for the next 2 laps. The first curve of the track is a very tight left hand turn that has a 10-15 ft. elevation change from inside to outside. So you basically have 2 choices: go low and in the hole or go high and into the loose stuff.
    Flavio opted for high so I go low. we emerge from the turn with me in first so I just punched it and really gained some speed through a very rough area. After that he was not able to overtake us and by now I was getting into a good groove. I finished in first place by a good 400 yards. Woo hoo.
    It was such a good feeling to not only win one but two races. So there is my race report. Kinda scatter brain but there it is. Oh yeah I had to drive the 2 hours home in the dark on one of the most dangerous roads around here pulling a very wide trailer. NOT FUN.
    I'll post some photos
    ________
    Portuguese Recipes
    Last edited by bajaBrothers; 02-23-2011 at 10:40 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Go
    here are a couple of pics of the track and the action
    ________
    DODGE ARIES SPECIFICATIONS
    Last edited by bajaBrothers; 02-23-2011 at 10:40 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Go
    a couple more of the jump and landing.
    ________
    Building
    Last edited by bajaBrothers; 02-23-2011 at 10:41 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Really cool!

It's a really nice buggy!
    Mostly i don't like the 2 seaters but this is an exception
    I'm building my personal Badland's ST2 Long Travel

6. Collapse Details
    VERY WELL DONE!!! Didn't you guys have a v-twin powered Rorty as well??

Justin.
    Nowhere near the desert.

7. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    Very cool & great write up.

I hope you guys keep on kickin Azz

8. Collapse Details
    man that looks like fun!! I hope my R82 looks that rad! great job

Clay Watson
    Kustom Kar Audio
    Boulder,CO
    alt.6000'

9. Collapse Details
    To bad about the motor.. but great you were able to fix it yourself.. man little things
    suck and even worse that is all it takes to make big things go wrong. Glad everything
    worked out and you were able to come back for some nice victories.
    Awesome! Congrats on the wins!

10. Collapse Details
    Found this video which has a quick shot of the baja bros. Rorty R16...

Lcdc 2011- video trailer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3