Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: R16 Shotgun Project
    Standfast, that sounds like good advice. Another tidbit I have found helpful is to cut and notch the longest parts first. That way when something isn't just right, you can probably still use it for a shorter tube elsewhere.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.- Ferris Bueler

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys for the tips. I knew about the effect of too much heat. I had a buddy come over and asked to help. He is a pretty good welder. While I went to get some supplies, he took it upon himself to finish welding the tubing together. Surprise, surprise, surprise!!!

I might try using a little heat underneath the back end of the bow tubes just to see if I can nudge them down a bit. Then I think I will take Standfast's advice and clamp everything down until the entire frame is tacked together. And yes, I will lock the garage and keep the well-meaning friends away.
    Having a smoking area in a restaurant makes as much sense as having a peeing area in a swimming pool.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm sure it will work out for you. I don't have too many friends that fab or weld so when anyone comes by the shop to help, I usually get less done than I would have without their "help". Funny how that works. They always mean well and I appreciate that.

Keep up the good work, you're getting there.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.- Ferris Bueler

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by N8ball View Post
    I'm sure it will work out for you. I don't have too many friends that fab or weld so when anyone comes by the shop to help, I usually get less done than I would have without their "help". Funny how that works. They always mean well and I appreciate that.

Keep up the good work, you're getting there.
    Same here... I'll let them do small projects, but it always seems that something is not quite right. It's not their fault because they don't really know what a part needs to confrom to or how it needs to fit, but sometimes it is nice to have a friend there, even if all they want to do is stare at your work.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

5. Collapse Details
    As far as the friend thing most just come to stare or see how the project is going and to chat and shoot the s*** for a while maybe a beer or two or three. It's all fun but you do not get much accomplished.
    Have fun with it and keep posting pics
    Sodman

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sodman View Post
    As far as the friend thing most just come to stare or see how the project is going and to chat and shoot the s*** for a while maybe a beer or two or three. It's all fun but you do not get much accomplished.
    Have fun with it and keep posting pics
    Sodman

I don't have it that good yet. Another year and a half before I'm legal. That's pretty much all we do around my place too. Ride the motorbikes around, shoot clays, build jumps, potato cannons, and so on.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

7. Collapse Details
    Last evening, that project friend of mine came over to see how things were progressing. I told him of the suggestions (the nice ones) I got from you guys about only tacking the frame together until it was all up, squared and any necessary modifications made. I also told him of welding only 1/2" at a time at each joint. Thanks again guys. We both tried to come up with ways to fix the bow tube problem. Nothing we tried solved the warping. I was called into work so our efforts were cut short.

I was up last night around midnight after delivering a baby and figured out how to fix the bow tube problem. I had tried heating the tubing and shrinking the long side. It didn't seem to work like it does on other shapes of steel I have used that trick on. So, I clamped the transom tube to the table frame with some C-clamps. I then placed a 2 x 3 inch tube under the frame right where the bow tubes meet the rest of the frame. Lastly, I used some pipe clamps to pull the bow tubes toward the table. IT WORKED !! The frame sits perfectly on the table.

I still couldn't sleep so I decided to draw out the second layer full-scale on the work table. I can't emphasize how important I have found this to be not only on this project but also on other furniture projects I have built in the past. I found another error in the plans which was easily adjusted at this stage. Today, if I am able to get some time, I will build the second layer. And yes, it will only be tacked together. Pics will be forth comming.
    Having a smoking area in a restaurant makes as much sense as having a peeing area in a swimming pool.

8. Collapse Details
    Sounds great! Are you communicating the errors back to Rorty?

9. Collapse Details
    Well, I've got pictures of the progress I made this weekend. For all of you Shotgun builders, let me give you a few areas where I found measurements not accurate (or at least on the build I am working on). I don't know if it is because my measuring skills are off but here is my experience nonetheless.

To give you a little background, I drew both layers directly over each other at full scale on the MDF top. My thinking was that when I went to position the middle layer over the bottom layer, I could use a carpenter's square to accurately position them in three-dimensions.

1. Drawing 06B--notice that the bow tubes on this middle layer have a different length if you look at the upper drawing (27 inches) and compare to the lower drawing (24.9 inches). I had to tear these tubes off and lengthen them to the 27 inch size. Even at this, I was still off by about an inch. I would make these bow tubes 28 inches. In the first picture below, the edge of the square should be at the back line on the mdf. This picture was taken after I lengthened the tubes 2 inches.

2. Drawing 07B--notice the tube that appears to be at a 90* in the middle of the upper drawing. This upright tube is supposed to join the middle and lower frame at a bend in these frames. To join the frames, I had to make this upright tilt at an angle of 75*. When superimposed on each other, this bend was not on top of each other. See the second picture below.

3. Drawing 07B--The upright at a 97* angle towards the back end was how much wider the middle frame was over the bottom frame. The angle I got to attach the transom tube to the middle tube at the bend was 107* (and this was when the bow tubes of the middle layer were 27 inches instead of 28 inches where the middle frame would have aligned with the full-scale drawing).

By the way, I ordered my Ecotec 2.2liter from Jim's Auto Salvage and Sales. Their address is: 1707 George Street, Sandusky, OH 44870. Mark is the guy who offered to make this deal to others. His direct phone number is 1 (419) 602-1304. Be sure to ask for Mark. I got my motor for $348.00 with harness, electronic distributor, ignition switch, title. He said everything needed to make the engine run would be included. Mark says he is unable to sell these engines and will sell them for the same price I got mine for.

To ship this motor, I went to uShip.com. This is a website where freight companies bid for your cargo. My cost was $148 to have it shipped from Sandusky Ohio to Nampa Idaho. Both Mark at Jim's Auto Salvage and Tanya at uShip were extremely helpful and coordinated everything from their end. It will be picked up tomorrow and will arrive next week.

In the third picture, it appears everything is lining up fine. I couldn't do without my "The Beast" notcher from JD2. After getting the hang of the Model 4 tubing bender from JD2, I am very pleased with the quality of the bends I have been getting. I like that the bends are repeatable when making similar parts.
    Last edited by gibberogill; 02-10-2009 at 06:14 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Oh yeah, my motor is a 2008 with only 1000 miles on it.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast