1. Collapse Details
    Rorty R16 Shotgun Plans
    I figured I would do my part to contribute to MBN......I've harvested so much information from these pages I want to put a little back......Before I begin....a little background is in order. Ever since I could carry tools I've been building stuff from gas powered bicycles to an ice boat to multi-level elaborate tree houses.....About 8 years ago for my son's birth day we built a single seat car from my own design....a mixture of AutoCad/full size drawings/trial and error it's still running and being modified to this day!........... I've wanted to build a 2 seat car for awhile now and when Rorty Design came out with the R-16 Shotgun I really liked the looks of it and from everything I read here I was impressed with Bob's knowledge and his willingness to help out after the sale.
    * * * *I paid my money and received the CD within two weeks from Australia. I was not disappointed. The Drawings , which there are 96 of them, come in PDF format which can be viewed by a variety of programs and printed to 11" x 17" paper. The CD included a 64 page Build Manual that covers everything from what tools you'll need to building a work table to setting toe-out to finial testing. The manual is written in a easy to read style and covers major components in chapters along with a list of materials and suppliers for the various components that you will need to buy. The first thing I did was go to Kinko's and had the Manual printed and bound with a plastic cover......that was under $5.00. I didn't pay to have the plans printed because I have a printer that can print 11 x 17 and I've been printing them off as I need them...not all at once. I have found a few errors in the plans but a quick email to Bob and all was sorted out and corrections where made to the master files so anyone buying plans after me gets the corrected set....
    * * * *My car is going to spend some of it's life on the street so I had to follow Virginia specs to make it street legal.....one of which was I needed to run DOT brakes and Tires at each corner...the easiest way to do the brakes was with rotors and hubs designed for trailer use....yes they are heavier then what is spec'ed but they are DOT approved and lighter then car parts! Bob was very helpful in redesigning the front end to use my choice of brakes and was also able to eliminate the rack adapters for the front steering rack in the process. One less thing to build!
    * * * *The Shotgun has a fair amount of parts that can be laser cut and Bob can supply you with the DXF files....25 in all that you can send directly to the laser cutter to have your parts cut for you...
    * * * *Almost every part on the car can be fabricated by the builder from the drawings except for the steering rack and the rear hubs.........you even get drawings to fabricate the seats and a chain drive cassette if you don't want to spend the money on a F-N-R box. You should be able to build the car to the drawings for between $10,000 - $15,000 US which for what you end up with is a bargain!
    * * * *Would I buy plans again? You bet.....I know what kind of time I spent on the first car in design and parts searches .....and I do plan to do it again....... After I finish the Shotgun I'm going to build the R-15 Race Car! To read more about the car go here: [url=http://www.rorty-design.com/content/rorty_design_home.htm:1p76d8d5]RORTY DESIGN[/url:1p76d8d5]

2. Collapse Details
    Go
    DITTO
    Rortys plans have made it possible for me and my brother to build our "Dream cars".
    We are sooo close to finishing it hurts.
    Updates soon to come.
    Great job Pacman on the write up.
    ________
    New jersey medical marijuana dispensary
    Last edited by bajaBrothers; 02-23-2011 at 10:18 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Re: Rorty R16 Shotgun Plans
    i just purchased my R16 shotgun plans

4. Collapse Details
    Re: Rorty R16 Shotgun Plans
    I use the tie down disc brake, I machine them down, remove some material, hell they didn't need to be that fat and may drill some hole, they should loose around 5 Lbs when it's done and they are DOT, they also have some non vented probably less weight.

You can also drill the spindle, I did that as well.

Good luck keep us posted.
    "Anything is possible, it's just matter of Time, Money "
    "Always think out of the box"