Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    My first buid: Rorty shotgun
    I just recieved my Rorty Shotgun plans yesterday. They were at my house when i got back from Glamis.
    Thanks Rorty! Very detailed plans. *Can i blow the chassis plans up to full scale? Also can i use a 4 1/2 CLR die for the chassis instead of the 6 1/2? *How much will this car weigh?

I started my frame table last week. Its almost done. Its 5 x 8 made from 2 x 2 x .125 steel sq tube. Its going to have castors and *leveling legs. Im going with a mdf top, It will eventually have a steel plate top.
    Ill be taking pics of everything and posting them on here.

All im waiting for now is the tubing bender. Then its on. My girlfriend is not going to like all the time ill be spending building my new toy. Oh friggin well, she'll have to live with it. Im on mini buggy mission now and no one is gonna stop me dammit!

peace out!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: My first buid: Rorty shotgun
    You can blow the drawings up to what ever size your budget will allow; large format prints cost a fortune! Ask your local print shop for a quote.

You can use a 4.5" CLR die set instead of the 6.5" CLR as specified, but you'll have to re-do all the tube drawings to work out the bend points etc. 6.5" radius is the norm for this size of tube.

Depending on your engine choice and other options (seat, cast/forged wheels vs. spun wheels, lights etc. etc.) you should be looking at between 1080lbs and 1250 lbs.

3. Collapse Details
    Here are a couple pics of my table.

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Triangulate between the uprights and also between a few of the windows.

5. Collapse Details
    I tried feet similar to that, and to be honest it didn't work all that well. *Every time I bumped up against the table it would move a little bit. *It worked, but if I had it to do over again, I would either make it with bigger feet and no casters, or just on casters, and no feet. *

The other thing I would do if I was to build a table over again, is to make it narrower. *(Whe cares if it overhangs the sides a bit more.... the cross tubes aren't going to sag..... and I would make the legs telesope, so I could make it into a regular bench easily when done with the car. *

Hope it doesn't sound like I am ragging on your table... I built mine very similar, and that is what made me think of the things I would have done different.

Looking forward to your build... love the room you have in your shop.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by KWiKSand\";p=\"30983
    I tried feet similar to that, and to be honest it didn't work all that well. *Every time I bumped up against the table it would move a little bit. *It worked, but if I had it to do over again, I would either make it with bigger feet and no casters, or just on casters, and no feet. *

The other thing I would do if I was to build a table over again, is to make it narrower. *(Whe cares if it overhangs the sides a bit more.... the cross tubes aren't going to sag..... and I would make the legs telesope, so I could make it into a regular bench easily when done with the car. *

Hope it doesn't sound like I am ragging on your table... I built mine very similar, and that is what made me think of the things I would have done different.

Looking forward to your build... love the room you have in your shop.
    If we only had a shop like kfabs, and the toys inside, IE: new cnc machines..... Were are them pics kfab, the dials and the new machines....

7. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Still have to get the electricity run to them - hopefully Wednesday and then the setup tech guy's supposed to be here Friday.

8. Collapse Details
    Rorty, *in your cassete drive for the R 16, which of those parts can i buy and which ones do i have to have made? iI know i need the side plates laser cut. Should i invest in A 3-1 milll drill lathe, *and do it my self for the other parts?
    Also i need DXF files to have parts laser cut? Are those files on the disk?

Okay my bender gets shipped out tomorrow
    The table top *has 2 layers, *bottom layer is 1 3/16" particle board, *finished off with a 3/4" mdf top layer.
    I started laying out *the outlines for the bottom layer of the frame. Looking good so far.
    Dammit *lets rock and roll.
    Is it weird that all i think about is this build? *Okay i didnt think so! *

9. Collapse Details
    Ok my bender gets gere Tuesday!!! * Yay!!

Couple questions now. First where can i get a center carrier with the sprocket and brake? Desert Karts? Does anyone else sell them? Or what would i need to make one myself? Mill? Lathe?
    HF has a 3in 1 on sale for $599 *Then i would need tooling and that cant be cheap.
    Or do i go to a machine shop and have the parts made?
    I have to keep in mind that this is a hobby and will not be using The machine all that much.
    Ive never had anything machined befor and dont know what a machine shop would charge.

Anyone have any input on this?

10. Collapse Details
    Yoshi has a nice carrier designed.Call him.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast