Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: My first buid: Rorty shotgun
    With a great set of plans provided by Rorty you have a roadmap to success. So many of us are working from lesser quality plans, no plans or if lucky, some good plans for at least suspension bits.

Your journey should be rather enjoyable.

2. Collapse Details
    Hey all! Thanks for all the input. *I have all the tools you mentioned dune. * Im new to the buggy building world, but ive done quite alot of metal work. Signs, racks,and a veriety of other things, So i pretty much knew what i needed to get started. My corded drill was at my house the first day i started notching. The cordless drill that started smoking was exactly 2 days old. * *It should still work fine though. I bought a set of 3 differnt size step bits. Got to love those things.
    Thanks Kuiksand for that link. Thats gonna help a ton.
    As far as the neighbors coming with the six packs, every time i fire up my grill that happens. I happen to be one hell of a good chef on that thing. *So when we all meet up some day Ill be the one *doing the bbqing!

3. Collapse Details
    Been really busy with work but got *some more done on the frame. The middlle and biggest section of the frame is bent *notched and tacked together. I get the a arm mounts and transom crush tubes on tuesday. *Today im going to make the trailing arm mounts and im going to bend and fit the bottom layer tubes that the a arm mounts sit on and connect to the front bumper. Im having some trouble with the rear section of the bottom layer . Two small bends back to back. Attached is a pic of the bends. * I cant seem to get my bender to make those 2 bends back to back. *The tube holder with the bolt is too short *and wont wrap around the first bend to make the second bend. Any ideas or am i overlooking something?
    Sorry i keep forgetting my camera but these were taken with my cell phone.

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    You'll probably have to figure out how to get to the second bend from the opposite end of the tube.

I'm thinking that you can approach your problem from both ends of the tube and the software will show you where to put your marks and start the second bend.

Good luck, some of those compound bends are a beast.

5. Collapse Details
    hmmm, im not to sure a jd2 will get that bend done, it might tho, how much area is between the 2 of them? You may have to add another hole for the clamp pin, closer to the die...

6. Collapse Details
    What if i made it in 2 sections like this?

7. Collapse Details
    If you can't manage the double bend, just mitre the rear engine tube onto the sides (just like the very back tube) and run the front of the side engine tubes into the rear engine cross tube, omitting the second bend.

8. Collapse Details
    Ok thanks Rorty thats what ill do.

9. Collapse Details
    What engine are you using? If it's not too wide (V-twin), you could still use double bends, but move them further apart. You may find the first option simpler to work out.

10. Collapse Details
    Got the rear section done and attatched. I layed them on top of each other to see how every thing was lining up. Looks really good.
    Tomorrow i get the mounts i need to finish assembleing the bottom layer. So hopefully I can start attaching the 2 layers. *
    Is waterjet cutting *just as good as laser cutting?
    Heres *a couple pics

Im putting a Hayabusa in the car Rorty.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast