Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: My first buid: Rorty shotgun
    SAN,
    I built my whole car without getting a lathe or Mill. I think Dune did the same. He had a lot more water jet cut and it seemed to be pretty in-expensive. If you know how to lathe or mill it might be worth it to buy them but if you dont just have Rorty send you the files to have them cut by a shop. that way they will be dead on.

2. Collapse Details
    Ok cool, I pmed *Yoshi *about the center carrier, And i will have everything laser cut. *

thanks

3. Collapse Details
    Ok bender is finally here! *Assembled it, need to get it level now.
    Tomorrow i will be picking up the tubing and will finally get this buggy started!!!
    Ill start posting pics as i go.

4. Collapse Details
    Ok finally got started. I picked up my DOM tubing yesterday. Today i got the bender level and learned how to use it in about 30 minutes.
    So then i attempted the first multi bend tube on the Shotgun. Was close but not cutting it. Ok now so learning from my first mistakes I started all over and was done bending both the tubes i needed in no time. But Damn!!! Its not easy bending 1 1/2 x .095 DOM I bet ill be a lil sore in the morning.
    So i got done cutting and bending the bottom section and started some notching. *After 2 notches my Dewalt coerdless started smoking so i called it a night.
    Heres a couple pics.

5. Collapse Details
    Well done! I'd like to say it's all down hill from here, but I'd be lying! * At least you've made a start and got to grips with your bender.

Did you take those pics through a window?

6. Collapse Details
    Looks great. *Good Job!!!! * A couple of suggestions though. *For one put a bigger lever on your bender. *When we bend 1.75" .120 chromo we use a lever that is like 7 feet long. *Second. *Get a 1/2 chuck Dewalt Corded drill. *I think they are around $250. *I've built 4 vehicles and various house projects so far with it without a hicup. *The only downside to it is that it does not have variable speed so if you crank on hole saws at full tilt they will burn up pretty quick unless you use a good cutting fluid (which is another suggestion). *What I usually do is pulse the drill. *It cuts better and the saw doesn't get so hot. *Good job and keep up the progress. *We need to get a SoCal minibuggy club going...
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

7. Collapse Details
    Ok notching was a bit of a challenge when i ran into a tube that was connecting to bend in the frame. Took about a half hour to figure out what i had to do to make it work. Now i got it down. Grinding galore! *Almost done with the whole bottom section. Then i forgot my camera at home. I hate when that happens.
    I do have to say that i find what Ive done so far isnt really that difficult. *
    The waiting game for parts is not going to be fun though.

8. Collapse Details
    Hey looking good so far. As for tools... Cordless tools are going to be useless for grinders and drills. For your nothcher get a good quality 1/2 chuck *corded drill *dewalt, rigid, ect. * *Notching tube, and clips is endless so get a system your comfortable with. For anything I can't notch with my tube notcher I use a variety of methods. For very long tapered notches I use thin cutoff disks to get it close then cope it out with grinding disks (the ones that have a bunch of layers of heavy grit sandpaper. Thes are great for gringing off tack welds or mis-welds and dont gouge as bad as hard grinders I suggest you go and buy at least 30 thin cut-off disks (4.5") and at least 10 assorted grinding disks as I mentioned. Once you get a system down you will be supprised at how productive you can become. Another tip. Dewalt 4.5"grinders are great and sell for about 59.00. I use 3 with a different disk on each one. really helps for production. 4.5" grinders are great for cutting out parts, trimming shaping tube. cutting out tack welds cleaning off spatter, grinding out crappy welds, so on and so on . It has to be the most versitle tools in the shop. Also get a good quality step drill bit. You will find they are great for drilling into steel. much faster than standard bits. they also champher the holes nicely.

Good luck and have fun!

Tripp

9. Collapse Details
    Ditto everything Dune said, but I would add this: Get yourself an aerosol can (or spray bottle) of anti-spatter and give everything a good spray before you begin welding (including your vice and welding table). It stops the spatter from sticking to your work etc. and obviates the need for grinding it all off afterwards.

If you can't find it locally (or are too tight to buy it), just steal your wife's spray-on cooking oil. It will do the exact same job, though your neighbours might come around with a six pack once you start welding. * *It will also stop the chassis from rusting if you live in a damp climate.

10. Collapse Details
    On the sharp coping angles that I couldn't do in my mill, I would go here
    http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi
    Print out the template, tape it over the tube, and mark it with a sharpie. and then just use a 3" (I think) air cutoff tool to cut them out. *It works great, very little cleanup needed. *Usually mainly only down in the very point of the cut.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast