1. Collapse Details
    Track Width Modification
    So,

after hearing back from the Texas race organizers I am thinking about the ideaof running a buggy in the UTV class.They said if it is close to the BITD UTV rules they will let it run in the class. The Shotgun and the R82s are both wider than the average production UTV so can you make the A arms and the trailing arms shorter to make the suspension fit for their class rules without sacrificing too much travel and stability? Maybe it's not even worth it, maybe it would be better to just race a different class? I am just thinking out loud here, you guys are the experts....

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Track Width Modification
    Really depends on what other race locations and classes there are for you to choose from, and what it's going to cost you to meet the specs. I've read your other thread son this and hte advice of other members, and it's pretty much spot on

I'm lucky in that i race an informal "club" deal where ATV and UTV are not subject to inspection and UTV, which has only been going about 4 years now, is the catch-all class. We run on private land and are all members of the club and the clubs pays for everything involved. No outside groups holding their hand over us with a rule book. There are build specs and rules for the jeeps and VWs, but not the Bike/ATV/UTV. Our club extended into running races as part of its series at Rausch Creek Park and those that race in those races must meet Rausch's specs which are based more on score and other bigger sanctioning body specs ..as a result there's a lot of guys that skip that race because they don't meet spec and really don't have a shot at finishing near the top in the series.

I knew you're looking at what I'd call "the big leagues" compared to what I'm doing. As was suggested before, to get your feet wet, we're it me, I'd find the racing that does the terrain you like to run on and is the closest to being club-based vs getting involved with one of the large sanctioning bodies right off the bat unless you're willing to really start burning the bennies. Easiest way to fid that type of action is to search for online non-mx style ATV races, hare scrambles and poker runs---you'll find that they usually also run UTVs in those and most are like my deal, no inspection and they'll most likely let you run what you brung in UTV.
    Last edited by Xbird; 06-22-2015 at 02:58 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Here in Texas there isn't a lot of desert racing, there is some but for some reason it just isn't real big. We have a lot of desert out west and there are a couple of groups holding races but it's not close to the scene in SoCal, Nevada and Arizona. Like I said, I was just thinking out loud and checking what the options were. My idea is to build the Shotgun and just have fun with it but wanted to "feel around" a bit.

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    If I was able to be a desert racer in SoCal, Northern Mexico, AZ, NV while living in Hell, er, Ohio, you can do it living in the Gulf Coast of Texas - your drive out here is only about 16-18 hrs instead of 28-30.

GO FOR IT!!! And when you head this direction, I'll be happy to be a Pit Whore for you. I imagine we can get some other members of MBN to show up and play too. I have pre-runners, so we have that covered.

Funny.... now that I'm out here I don't have the racing bug anymore, but I do have the pit crew/pre-runner play aspect in me. Take advantage of that.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    If I was able to be a desert racer in SoCal, Northern Mexico, AZ, NV while living in Hell, er, Ohio, you can do it living in the Gulf Coast of Texas - your drive out here is only about 16-18 hrs instead of 28-30.

GO FOR IT!!! And when you head this direction, I'll be happy to be a Pit Whore for you. I imagine we can get some other members of MBN to show up and play too. I have pre-runners, so we have that covered.

Funny.... now that I'm out here I don't have the racing bug anymore, but I do have the pit crew/pre-runner play aspect in me. Take advantage of that.
    Wow, thanks. I guess I need to get started with a car. I'm still in the planning stages but I have wanted to do this since I was a kid.

What part of Ohio? My wife's family are all there.

6. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Spent 25 years in the Cincinnati area.

Grew up in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas - McAllen & South Padre.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    MBN to show up and play too. I have pre-runners, so we have that covered.

I hear you, the racing stuff can be a headache but yet fun filled adrenaline. But its funny how you can still get a great rush along with the Comraderie with pitting. Been so long since I've been out to the desert races, ever since they closed down MDR Assocition, Im due to get back out in the dirt!