Thread: enough power???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    enough power???
    Been in the offroad community a long time, but new to the mini buggy world. I have been looking at a ridge runner for sale in California, and was looking for info on how it performs against the razor s. We are at the sand alot, but also do some playing in the desert. Friends all have rhinos and razors, and I'm looking for something different but that will keep up.
    Thanx, Dave

2. Collapse Details
    Re: enough power???
    Quote Originally Posted by nvr2ruf View Post
    Been in the offroad community a long time, but new to the mini buggy world. I have been looking at a ridge runner for sale in California, and was looking for info on how it performs against the razor s. We are at the sand alot, but also do some playing in the desert. Friends all have rhinos and razors, and I'm looking for something different but that will keep up.
    Thanx, Dave

Speed/acceleration wise I'm betting it is about even with the rzr. The ridge runner used a polaris 800 engine I believe, with slight modifications. I think the weight is pretty close between the two.

The only place I can see the ridge runner out performing is in corners and jumps. It has more suspension, and seats the passengers lower than the rhino and rzr.

If you just want something to keep up with the rhino/rzr the ridge runner should have no problem keeping with the pace.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

3. Collapse Details
    Mesa, AZ - Home of the elusive "SnowBird"
    Somewhere, I read a review on that. It might have been this board? In any event, the guy compared the two was out of Vegas and it was a desert setting - as I recall the ridge runner smoked the rhino. Mostly a top end thing it seemed. Personally, I like the ridge runner concept and if I was in the market for a sxs would surely look hard at them. I tried searching but all i found was this https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/sale/...ner-4sale.html

there is an email addy in the post of a guy who owned one and might be able to give first hand knowledge?

Also, Revolt makes a sxs that you might find appealing? https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/minib...de-x-side.html
    I like things that move. Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers.

4. Collapse Details
    I own a RidgeRunner and I can tell you the power is the same. But the RZR is 4x4 and the RR is 2 WD so the RZR climbs better. The RR also has turning issues as the front end pushes in the corners.

Also I'm not sure but RR may be out of business as their website is down.

My advice would be to get an RZR. Upkeep would be a lot better. Sorry to sound a bit negative.

5. Collapse Details
    I tend to agree with UncleDick. The RR would be at a disadvantage in 4wd conditions compared to a RZR or Rhino. The RR looks better IMO but does not have the same abilities as a UTV.

Add to that manuafacturer support and the choice is easy. Now if you want something that looks like a sandrail and has 4wd like a RZR, then build one with 4WD quad components from a wreck. Crashedtoys.com - Repo and Salvage motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats, campers and more

6. Collapse Details
    nvr2ruf,

For your needs, duning and open desert the RR will be enough and capable.
    13 1/2" A-arm independent travel with up to 18" ground clearance and a spooled rear.

The closest comparable vehicles to the RR will be the RedLine Riot and the RZR-S.

The Riot is more powerful with the Weber engine and has more travel.
    The RZR-S has 4WD, low range, and less travel.

As for 4WD UTV's versus the 2WD RR, it depends what you want to do. I have been to Moab rock crawling six times with my RR, with one time being during the UTV Rally last May.

The RR can go places a 4WD UTV can't and a 4WD UTV can go very few places a RR can't.

UncleDick,

The last post you made at the RR Forum was April 08, if you want to know what is going on with RR Inc, the information is there, along with our plans for this years rides at the UTV Rally at Moab and the UTV Jamboree at the Paiute Trail.

Gene,

As far as manufacturer support, the drive train is all Polaris so support is there. As far as chassis components, any competent fabricator could fab up new A-arms, tie rods, etc. if needed.
    There are plenty of Honda Pilots and Odyssey's still being used today.

7. Collapse Details
    Welcome to MBN 05RR!

Good points. If I had or wanted to buy an RR and assuming the company is no longer in business, I would make suspension jigs in anticipation of needing a replacement someday. My guess is that an RR owner has already done this and networking could get a guy hooked up.

I've seen pictures of RR's on some rough trails including Moab and one of our members sold them. However, if nvr2ruf is interested in building then a 4wd RR concept would be interesting. And, as you point out, if it is Polaris equipped support is available plus he'd have the skills to repair problems.

8. Collapse Details
    Wanted to make one more point.

I do like my RR but I'm not afraid of taking it apart and fixing it on my own. It has a few bugs but all in all it is a fun ride and with the high clearance I can haul azz over rocks etc. I bought it in '05 and there was no RZR then but now with the RZR-S out thats where I would go and save a few bucks.

If your afraid of fixing things buy something with manuf coverage and parts.

9. Collapse Details
    First of all, thanx for all your responses..... I bought the Ridge Runner and took it to the sand last weekend..... As far as performance, I couldn't be happier, but as far as reliability,#@$%$#@........ Friday - drove it for approx 20 min, shredded a drive belt....Sat - drove it for approx 2 hours before shredding #2.... Sun - shredded #3 about 10 miles from camp. Luckily, one of the Razors had an extra belt which fit and got me back. On the way back the left rear axle came out the the diff. We were able to clean it up and force it back in. The splines didn't appear worn on either the axle not the diff, but the retainer clip didn't seem large enough to do it's job.

Questions for my brother RR owners;
    What is the max RPM's that you run? He had done some mods to the exhaust, and the clutch, and added a power command module. My friends with Razors say they run max 5200 RPM's, but I was able to easily acccelerate to 6500 RPM's and not be topped out.

What drive belts do you run? The one on the RR and the two spares he had were Carlisle, and they didn't last long. I know the correct Polaris part number for the Sportsman 800 quad is #3211106, but the Razor belt that I borrowed seemed to perform fantastic, and it's Polaris part number is #3211113. The local Polaris dealer told me to try the belt from the Razor S model which is #3211130, but it sells for $102.

Is the RR the same wheel bolt pattern as the Razor /Ranger?

Thanx, Dave

10. Collapse Details
    nvr2ruf,

Sent you a PM

Forgot this in the PM:

The rear hub is from the donor Polaris Sportsman, the front hub is from the Polaris Raptor. The bolt pattern is the same front to rear. I can mount my spare front rim/ tire on the back.
    Last edited by 05RR; 02-24-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast