Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Turbo in Revolt XL
    Quote Originally Posted by odypilots View Post
    Tom, had your 600 Rotax had any work done to it? I was at a sand drag strip with my pure stock 600 Rotax, and I couldn't hang with the built up quads. Plus, the gearing of the Pilot trans should have an advantage in acceleration over the gearing of the Drakart trans.
    No, the motor was completely stock minus what ever Alain would do to them. I think he just changed out the stock carbs and added the custom pipe. I put the TRA III clutch and Aaen rollor secondary clutch kit with steeper helix. Other than that.....

I disagree with the trans comment. I think it's too low of gearing and lights the rear end up too fast. I believe that Alain had it right with the high geared tranny. So many claimed it was too tall of gearing yet it smoked everything off the line and on top end. Hard to argue with that. When we raced both of my carbs where gummed up and the main jets was blocked. When I gave it about 1/2 throttle the engine would bog. I know you were also having engine problems (don't remember what it was.) but I was still able to smoke you off the line. My Drak also smoked Dennis's 670 pilot like no bodies business but I don't really remember his set-up that well. I technically was only beaten one time at St. Joes. I went riding that day and ate one of my rear aluminum rims while running the holeshots, lug nuts came loose and really tore it up. I had my sand tires and wasn't using them so I swapped the rims out. About mid day I see a bunch of guys dragging in the fluffy stuff so I line up to. We go and this DS650 Baja was kicking some butt. He'd get me off the line and then about the time that I'd catch him he would shut it down. We went about 5 times and then he stopped. He had a 20 or 30 hp nitrous set-up on his ride and those snow/sand tires. I said lets run another 100 feet or so so I can throw some sand in your face! He told me he only races 300 feet and that's all he runs. For my cars honor I should have went and changed tires and put the paddles on the rim but I was too lazy and wanted to ride. Later that day a bunch went over and was dragging in the wet stuff. I was actually able to get the front wheels off the ground and smoked everyone there. Every quad, motorcycle and VW buggy. That guy on the DS650 came and watched and would never run me. After awhile he just went back and loaded up. I called that a win in my book.

Now that riding season is here I'm really regretting selling that thing. The guy who bought it from down under told me he has been bench racing since I put it on the truck. After some 3 months it shows up, he gasses it up and smoked a 1000cc rage buggy and a 900cc something. Even though I no longer have it I'll live vicariously through him and still kick some serious butt!

Tom

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeed View Post
    That sux. I never had a quad or motorcycle get more than half a car length on me at the start unless it was in the fluffy sand. I'd pass all of them by 100 to 150 feet with the Drak. I miss that...always being first. Since you have a analog tach your clutching should be pretty easy to set up. Does Queen or Wasteland, forgot who did the upgrade, give you a dyno sheet to clutch to or is it seat of pants tuning?

Tom
    Tom,
    Just to set the record straight for Chads sake, (Wasteland Performance), He IS supplying the clutch set up for me and will be tuning it through the laptop like I said. I did not want to wait the 2 weeks for him so I bought the adjustable weight set myself. I am impatiant, it IS time to ride. He will be letting me know what he comes up with and I will be doing some testing for him. If I need springs or Helix he will supply them. He is selling the kits for the Revolt and mine is the first so R&D time. As performance improves I will post vids so you can see the progression of Quad smokin as time goes by. It will fun for me to throw some of that roost back and maybe a little extra for good measure. Chad has been a graet shop to deal with and just don't want anyone to think any different. So I am going by the seat of my pants by my choice.

3. Collapse Details
    I understand. Didn't mean to imply anything else. I think it awesome that someone is finally adding some power to the Revolt. They used to show a turbo on the Revolt option sheet way back when....then it was gone.

Your going to have a wicked car when your done with it......What next?

Tom

4. Collapse Details
    Sandracer,

With the much heavier weights that the turbo will be slinging in the primary, I would also suggest the heaviest secondary spring you can get or a flatter helix. When I put the turbo on my Pilot I too was messing with the primary weights and left the secondary alone. At first it was not that much faster with the turbo than without, then I cranked up the secondary spring (Arctic Cat secondary) and then I could not keep the front end down on boost. With the helix and spring combo the turbo was able to over power them and the extra power was just spun off in secondary belt slip.
    I no longer have a turbo but I still use a portable temp sensor to check secondary clutch temp to see if it is slipping. Do hard take offs and have someone take a quick temp to see if it spikes.
    What secondary clutch does the Revolt have? Team maybe?

Wayne

5. Collapse Details
    Tom,

I did not think you were implying anything, just wanted to make sure no one else got the wrong idea. I am not sure whats next other than some paddles and getting the clutch tuned. I have to get some window nets and a fire exstinguisher. Paddles are on their way. I will be racing short coarse later this year or all of next year. Getting this thing set up and modified has cost me more than I thought. What, no comment on the Banshees? Wayne, thanks for the info. I really do not know what else I will need to do but I will keep the secondary in mind. Chad will help me sort it out if I ned any advise, which I am sure I will.

6. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    That's cool, Tom. I haven't had a problem with burning the tires off on my starts, and I always beat the other Drak with a 600 I raced with, so that's why I asked. Must be clutching. See ya.
    I race, therefore I am

7. Collapse Details
    i will say this ... i got to ride with and witness sandracers turbo revolt first hand.. super nice piece i must say.. we were at st joes the end of june withthe folks from buggy news ... and it was fast the ground literally vibrated when he launched it at our sand drags.. my ol pig with a swap is good but i tell ya that redline is nice.. he and the riot that was there are the drive for my build... so nice a macine wonderful details and a big price tag..

i really want my build to rival these machines and i will be able to say i did it myself.. my 400 polaris powered joyner 250 isnt junk by anymeans .. just want something a lil nicer...

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jwik View Post
    i will say this ... i got to ride with and witness sandracers turbo revolt first hand.. super nice piece i must say.. we were at st joes the end of june withthe folks from buggy news ... and it was fast the ground literally vibrated when he launched it at our sand drags.. my ol pig with a swap is good but i tell ya that redline is nice.. he and the riot that was there are the drive for my build... so nice a macine wonderful details and a big price tag..

i really want my build to rival these machines and i will be able to say i did it myself.. my 400 polaris powered joyner 250 isnt junk by anymeans .. just want something a lil nicer...
    jwik,

Thanks for the nice words. I am glad you liked it. I had a blast meeting a lot of the folks from Buggynews. There was a lot of you there. Great turn out and event. Keep working on that build I would like to see it next year at St. Joe.

9. Collapse Details
    I too got to witness this incredible machine at the buggynews event. Really hard to find the words to describe it so Awesome will have to do. A super nice guy as well and hope to get to ride with him and Karl in Sept. close to my own backyard at little Sahara. Hopefully my polaris powered Joyner can halfway keep up with them out there.
    Joylaris 400cc for now
    Looking forward to a custom build in the near future.

10. Collapse Details
    EJ you got enough to hurt a riot. But this revolts, you aint got a prayer. Damn thing squates like a cat when it launches. It's to bad they aint making these anymore. Bout as big a ride as many of us east coasters coud have

Bad ass ride bro. Tell you bro in law thanks. Now the wife is after a rzr

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast