Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    1/5 scale prototype of buggy!!
    Hello everybody!!

This my very first post, and my first project. I'm a young guy (at least I like to think so) from Norway. My plan is to build a buggy/ formula offroad ( Icelandic 'vertical' offroad racing. It is getting bigger her in Norway as well) While I am waiting for my Pro tools tube bender to arrive from us I have made an 1/5 scale prototype of my buggy. Has anybody else done this? I Have solved a lot of design issues in this process. I am going to build by the roles and regulations of Formula offroad, but I am going to do most things way different from the rest.

Hope you can understand my writing!!

Cheers Tom

2. Collapse Details
    Re: 1/5 scale prototype of buggy!!
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Hello Tom and welcome to the site.

1/5th scale model - very interesting and creative! I've thought about it, but never proceeded to try it.

Do you have any pictures of the model? It would be great to see what you've come up with.

What material(s) did you use and how have you put it together? I always thought that using brass tubing and a soldering iron would be a good way to accomplish this.

Your English is great - very easy to understand.

Please share more information if you would. If there are things that you would prefer to keep quiet about because of the new ideas you may be using, that's understandable too.

3. Collapse Details
    not a 1/5th. scale, but I always build my stuff full mockup outta wooden dowels first..

I can't seem to find the pics for the single seater and the 4 seater, but here is an early shot of the first 2 seater.....
    Last edited by yoshi; 12-14-2008 at 10:53 AM.
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

4. Collapse Details
    For this 1/5 I have used 10mm steel tube, and mig welded it. I have also made a full scale wooden prototype, but I liked this small one better. And when I get the time I will radio controll it! That'll be fun!!
    I'll have to post some photos later, because my camera is suffering from dead batteries!!

Cheers

5. Collapse Details
    Wow that sounds fun and the radio control sounds way cool
    I look forward to the pics.

6. Collapse Details
    hI Tomlen, so will your buggy be a big V8 engine at the front, 4 wheel drive, axles not independent, like the icelandic off road buggys? what do you intend to do different?

7. Collapse Details
    Hello Lee!

There is minimum weight limit on 600kg in formula. The lightest car to date is about 1200 kg ( Haraldur, v6 engine ) I intend to use a big cc bike engine, maybe with nos or turbo, or both! Initially I wanted to use a chain betwen front and rear wheels, but now I am leaning towards belt drive. I'll use double A arms in all four corners. By doing this I'll get a light car ( possibly around 600 kg!) Who will go much easier in the sand then the 1500 to 2000 kg monsters.

8. Collapse Details
    This sounds very interesting, what sort of belts are you thinking of using? I assume they will be enclosed?
    Do you use diffs or lsd or no diffs?

9. Collapse Details
    I have friend who is an expert on belts, pullies and the lot. I'll find out more soon, and then I'll post more. It will be enclosed, don't want anything to upset the belt.
    I wont use diffs, just splined axels with disc brakes and pullies and the special made drive shafts directly on the splined axel. And by having the disc brakes 'onboard' I'll save unsprung weight. The hubs will be light and simple.

10. Collapse Details
    Hello!

Her is a photo of the 1/5 scale prototype. I'll take some better ones when lighter outside, pitch dark here in wintertime! The safetyregulations are very strict, and the tubing is, I'll try to get this right!! cold drawn seamless tube with 350nm stretch strength. 48,3 mm diameter and 3,2mm thick in the main loop, and 48,3mm diameter and 2,6mm in the rest. Did that make sens?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast