Thread: home made build

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: home made build
    how mutch do you want for both and how do u mount that seat. thanks kyle

2. Collapse Details
    Re: home made build "Rack-shmack"
    Take a look at a Honda Pilot. They have narrow steering "Wheel" or if you are wide enough you may be able to use Quad Handle bars or snowmobile handle setups are useually a little narrower.

You can still keep foot controls for the gas and brake but handlebars are not a bad steering option when you are trying to steer fast. Ever try to keep up with steering a car on slippey ice? You have a hard time moving your hands fast enough. With handle bars going lock to lock is nothing. Even on ice you will whip a quad back and forth cause its fun. Same applies here. You get on a trail thats slick a steering wheel will have you tired out much quicker than a handlebar setup. Plus if you can put throttle contol on the handlebars its a lot easier to have smooth throttle with your hand than your foot. * *

At the bottom of the steering stem with the handlebars mock up a simple post off the stem with holes in it (or better yet make the mock up wide a adjustable slide) that allows you to find the proper distance away from the shaft for the amount of steering travel you need. Once you know how much travel and have the distance you can weld that one solid or make a purty one thats spot on.

Scince your front suspension arms are farther away that the one steering stem center pivot point you will need to make a cross bar ( the "rack" part of a rack-n-pinion) to connect to your steering links thats the same width as your a-arms pivots and figure out how high it needs to be in the chassis for minimal bump steer. Mount the cross bar on a swing set (Idler arms. Look at a few full size cars and trucks to see how the idler arms hold the steering link.) or if you want it to go straight back and forth make a set of rollers (top and bottom of the cross bar) that guide it.) Either way is pretty easy once you see how they work.

The cross bar connected to your steering links that go your wheels then connects to the steering stem post with a connector tube (you can get a good one off a snowmobile) *

All in all this can be done much cheaper than any rack and is great for most applications. IF you have the cockpit width in the frame. Wider bars are better but even the Pilot steering yoke is quite narrow. You could even custom make bars.

Just an idea from my point of view. I love the handle bars and hand controls. Steering wheels are sooooo old school...... *

If you want a steering wheel its buy a rack or there are chain and sprocket setups that mimic a rack. *You *still need to make a cross bar to connect you steering links to then you connect heavy motor bike chain (use Oring type it lasts longer) to the tube then run it along the tube and around two sprockets just above (or below) the tube (these provide guidance and referance.) Then it loops around a sprocket on the steering stem shaft. When you spin the wheel the sprocket on the shaft moves the chain and it pulls the tube back and forth for steering . TSC (Tractor Supply Company) actually sells gokarts around here with that exact setup. As long as it was made heavy enough. They also have a little tensioner built in to adjust slop in the chain as it grows. * *Bill
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 50nuts\";p=\"65837
    how mutch do you want for both and how do u mount that seat. thanks kyle
    200bux plus ups.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by masterfabr\";p=\"65832
    I got a roasted buggy for a 100 bux too!
    Seriously Master could you not have that frame reheat-treated and then just repace the compnents?
    I know it got pretty hot but a lot of heat treating gets very hot. I do not know as much about heat treating as I would like but it seems this would be a way to possibly ressurect it? *

Sorry for the lil hijack. Bill
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

5. Collapse Details
    my master, um ill think about it. i think i might just put a kirky seat in it bc there alot cheaper. but i might need that rack.

6. Collapse Details
    Truthfully I believe the heat did not in all reality hurt a thing.There was no water put on the buggy area by the FD since the fire had already burned nearly everything before they arrived. *It did get hot enough to allow a few of the members to sag under their own weight.If someone really wanted to they would have a nice start on a 4130 frame though.I've moved on to another design and have no interest in fixing it now.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 50nuts\";p=\"65844
    my master, um ill think about it. i think i might just put a kirky seat in it bc there alot cheaper. but i might need that rack.
    No problem. Remember that a decent suspension type seat will be a lot more forgiving to your back tho.

8. Collapse Details
    50nuts

Does your name come from riding pit bikes?

If it is, *you must have seen the video "50 nuts". One of the featured riders is my brother in-law. Kelly Tedder

9. Collapse Details
    ya i love that movie. sweet he is a really good rider. but ya that is where i got 50 nuts from and i just use it for my name on forums and stuf.

10. Collapse Details
    Sweet deal, I have to say it is a pleasure to watch him ride 50's or big bikes.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast