Thread: body panels

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    body panels
    Not a project in progress but k-fabs posts about carbon fiber and such got me to thinking. When I did the body panels for my 180 bph dragster I wanted panels that were strong and flexible and kevlar fiber was out of my budget back then.So what I did was to laminate 10 layers of 4 oz.fiberglass cloth. This made panels that are .100" thick. The process is very easy. 4oz.cloth is extremely pliable *and so is easy to follow contours.There are several places to buy the needed tools to do so correctly.The tools needed are an assortment of "bondo" plastic squeegees-2,4,6" wide.A 1" and 3" grooved 3/4" diameter roller for spreading the mixed resin and thoroughly saturating the cloth. A SHARP pair of NEW scissors.A snap off blade razor knife.mold release wax. FOr very flexible parts and very strong panels step #1-apply liberally a coat of mold wax to your plug form.Allow to dry.If you can get it spray 2 coats of PVA(polyvinyl alcohol) on the mold release wax.#2 brush a coat of resin on the form.#3 lay a dry layer of cloth to the resin.#4 pour a small quantity of resin on the dry cloth and spread into the cloth being sure to totally saturate the cloth. do the entire area . #6 Squegee all the resin you can from the cloth. #6 repeat for 9 more layers.#7 when the completed part begins to firm up it can be trimmed to near final size with the razor knife.Use a 2 hour set time formula when beginning so as not to be rushed and if you want minimal distortion in a large part like a hood or something.Use the scissors to cut the dry cloth.Clean up with tools and such with acetone. this will give a part that will take extremely hard impacts since it is rigid yet able to bend in about a 10" radius. Much cheaper than carbon fiber and yet very strong. I ran into the back of another dragster in the staging lanes and didn't even crack the nose.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: body panels
    Quote Originally Posted by masterfabr\";p=\"38108
    Not a project in progress but k-fabs posts about carbon fiber and such got me to thinking. When I did the body panels for my 180 bph dragster I wanted panels that were strong and flexible and kevlar fiber was out of my budget back then.So what I did was to laminate 10 layers of 4 oz.fiberglass cloth. This made panels that are .100" thick. The process is very easy. 4oz.cloth is extremely pliable *and so is easy to follow contours.There are several places to buy the needed tools to do so correctly.The tools needed are an assortment of "bondo" plastic squeegees-2,4,6" wide.A 1" and 3" grooved 3/4" diameter roller for spreading the mixed resin and thoroughly saturating the cloth. A SHARP pair of NEW scissors.A snap off blade razor knife.mold release wax. FOr very flexible parts and very strong panels step #1-apply liberally a coat of mold wax to your plug form.Allow to dry.If you can get it spray 2 coats of PVA(polyvinyl alcohol) on the mold release wax.#2 brush a coat of resin on the form.#3 lay a dry layer of cloth to the resin.#4 pour a small quantity of resin on the dry cloth and spread into the cloth being sure to totally saturate the cloth. do the entire area . #6 Squegee all the resin you can from the cloth. #6 repeat for 9 more layers.#7 when the completed part begins to firm up it can be trimmed to near final size with the razor knife.Use a 2 hour set time formula when beginning so as not to be rushed and if you want minimal distortion in a large part like a hood or something.Use the scissors to cut the dry cloth.Clean up with tools and such with acetone. this will give a part that will take extremely hard impacts since it is rigid yet able to bend in about a 10" radius. Much cheaper than carbon fiber and yet very strong. I ran into the back of another dragster in the staging lanes and didn't even crack the nose.
    There's an echo in here-ere-re-

3. Collapse Details
    Huh?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by masterfabr\";p=\"38114
    Huh?
    You posted two identical threads. Probably best to delete one of them.

5. Collapse Details
    Wow, I only show 1.?????

6. Collapse Details
    Maybe the server had a brain fart or a mod deleted the other one.

7. Collapse Details
    Probably why I can't download those .dxf files!

8. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    I saw that it was a double post and removed the other one already. *Nobody had replied to either thread yet, one had been read four times, the other three. *I believe I removed the one that had been read 4 times.

9. Collapse Details
    Good info. *I agree. *I have done similar lay ups with great results. *The glassing is pretty easy, the tedious part is getting the plug made nice and all smooth etc ... the part of the process that Kfab is doing now.

10. Collapse Details
    making a smooth plug is actually easy if you will use Duratec primer over the foam after sanding it to shape.Use Duratec in place of the foiltep in k-fabs thread..Duratec is sort of like a gel coat but is relatively easy to sand and polish for a great finish on the finished part pulled from the mold.If you haven't used it before you will be very happy with it if you will do so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast