Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Desert Karts Panther
    I'll be posting photos as I go along, although I am no particular hurry to finish (around summer of 2007?).

Some photos are of my tools and such, more for my friends and family to see what I spend all of my money on, but also so that other builders can get ideas as to what is being used.

I'll be building a Desert Karts Panther, following, for the most part, the plans available from Greg. *I'm in New York, so my terrain includes everything but sand.

Since a lot of new posters ask "how much does it cost to build your own rail", I'll update this spot with prices of parts (including shipping, if any) and where I bought it from:

DesertKarts Panther plans $48 DesertKarts
    5-point harness $80 Summit Racing
    Seat, sliders and cover $110 Summit Racing
    Rack & pinion, steering wheel, quick disconnect, splined shafts, bearing and u-joints $246 Dan's Performance Parts
    Hydraulic pedal assembly and pedal to morse cable adapter $161 Dan's Performace Parts
    2003 Honda VTR1000F Superhawk engine complete with lock set, wiring, gauges, electronics, radiators and exhaust $1,138 Ebay
    Original Honda engine tail light, front and rear brake calipars and rear brake master cylinder $83 Ebay
    Honda 400EX spindles, hubs, calipers and rotors $268 Through minibuggy.net
    120' 1 1/4" x .095 DOM tubing $428 Albany Steel Inc.
    Table for frame build $50 Home Depot
    Engine stands for rotating frame $60 Harbor Freight
    Various Grade 8 hardware $64 Tractor Supply Company
    Miscellaneous metal $50 Albany Steel Inc.
    Miscellaneous tabs and gussets $109 A. & A. Manufacturing, Inc.
    Clutch and brake switch, fuel level sensor, rear tail light bulb housing and miscellaneous grommets $92 BikeBandit.com
    Engine related (tubes/wires/oil lines, etc.) $107
    Parts to redo the wiring harness myself $75
    Aluminum wheel adapters $55

Total as of 11/26/06: $3,214

*note that this does not include tools that I bought for this build (like the tubing bender), which I otherwise would probably not own

All of your comments and questions would be greatly appreciated.

Kasey

2. Collapse Details
    It may not be EFI, but it produces a peak 110hp at only 8500 rpm's.

3. Collapse Details
    Hey man, most important thing to start off with is a good table. The one you have isn't gonna work. You need something alot more braced and I would hoighly suggest getting it up higher off the floor. All the ups nd downs fiting parts is gonna get old really quick, trust me.....

I built mine outta 2x2 1/4 inch angle with (6) 5 inch caster wheels. I then layed 2 sheets of 1 inch MDF on top so I can draw on it and replace it as it gets worn. Once you start building the rail, the weight is gonna put stress in specific points which will bow if not break through your current top....
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

4. Collapse Details
    yoshi has an extremly nice table, but i made my table with one layer mdf, 3/4", and 2x4 with 2x4 cross bracing every 12", i did not use casters, i put shims under legs to get it level, the caster idea is great but works better if you can adjust them in height as they move to diffrent locations in the garage.... i never had a problem with my table not holding up, but i also mounted engine and heavy stuff after i had the frame off the table...i think you can add a little more 2x4,s and have a good enuff table to work on....

5. Collapse Details
    "Hey man, most important thing to start off with is a good table. The one you have isn't gonna work."

Man your quick to shoot someone down, lol! My table actually works great. I built it that low on purpose (easy for me to reach the top and get in and out of). My floor was poured very close to level and I shim the bottom of the table when I'm working on it (checking the table level as well).

Being such a low profile allows me to pick it up and move it against a wall when not in use too.

My frame is actually already tacked (minus structural bracing), I just haven't posted the pictures yet. I also have a 2 ton overhead hoist to raise/lower the engine, so it helps support some direct weight off of the frame for mock-up.

Once I'm ready to mount the heavy stuff, I'll do like bugpac did.

Kasey

6. Collapse Details
    Doesn't look safe to Me, needs some triangulamation like this!

7. Collapse Details
    lol, he is not always correct.... 8)

lol bdk, that was funny..

8. Collapse Details
    Guess I need to change my project title to a Yoshi bash-fest already

9. Collapse Details
    no, he is good sport, but the bdk, that was still funny, maybe he should put a blue tarp over it as well...

10. Collapse Details
    I feel better
    My frame was looking a little weak until it had some additional braces added to it.

Nice to see bdkw1 lend a hand to Yoshi! Fortunately that table wasn't crushed by nearby planetary gravitational force.

Gene

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast