Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Girardfab LT2, GSXR750, turbo brainchild project log w/ pics
    This is the thread for my new project.

I am using a Gerardfab LT2 frame (the new one) and will be doing some custom stuff on my own. Ive been following all the cool minirails out there, and I plan on using ideas from Yoshi, and some other great builders. Im sure Ill explain more later, but here are some initial pics.

Here are a few shots of the bike motor. We are using a 2003 GSXR 750 motor. The reason we are using it, is because I got a really really good deal on the whole bike, totalled from an insurance auction. It was totalled, and I was exited about knowing that I already had everything needed to get it running.

The turbo will be coming soon. I am still researching the whole setup, and plan to build it myself. The reason I am doing it, is because with the cost of materials, I dont plan on spending over $1000 for the whole turbo setup. Then the cost of the power commander added on that. A healthy turbo setup should make about 200hp or so, and will be all the power I ever need. Maybe one day Ill get into the engine and start cranking it up, but for now im sure the stock 141hp and about 1000 lbs vehichle weight will be all I need.

The frame is sitting at Alan's house, waiting to be shipped. Its all torn down and ready to be re-assembled by me. I plan on some sort of custom fron end work, to get a more narrow a arm setup, and also shock mounts that are higher and more efficient for long travel. Once I get the frame measurements, Ill start those exact plans.

Also, just to let you guys know.... I am using a subaru r160 rearend, with bike sprockets, and mounting the engine longetudinally in the car. Ill post more info and pics for that later as well.

Here are the frame pics Alan took for me...

These are not my a arms

Here are my spindle/brake/hub setups. I am using stock KFX700 units, because they seem to be very sturdy. If anyone has any questions about camber/rake/scrub, or anything else like that, feel free to ask. Ill post more info later about that, and wheels/tires ect.

2. Collapse Details
    By the way, the frame is built with 1.25" .120 wall DOM steel. Alan is also sending us about 30' of extra piping (120DOM) to fab up our extra add ons. A arms will be built with 120DPM and we are using all heims. For the rear setup, I am still debating, but I might be using subaru axles. Ive got a set sitting here, and they might be nice to use. I know of someone who is using a set, and is getting about 10 inches of travel with them. I want 20, so there are chances Ill have to go to some sort of plan B with that one, but Ill cross that bridge when I get to it. More pics will come every week.

I plan to have this rail running by July. My father is going to Iraq to help people kill Iraqis by flying them around in a blackhawk helicopter, and he leaves in August. He spent his whole life building dune buggies, and before he leaves I want more than anything to take him out for a weekend on my new sandrail. I will do everything in my power to get it running before then.

3. Collapse Details
    I think i may start bending frames, it is really simple and i got my bender figured out, hardly waiste anything. i wouldnt even tack them before i took apart, i dont understand why he does, i would just use the tubing clamps i have, then take apart, save on the buyer grinding the broken tacks back off.

anyways looks like you got a lot of work to do.

4. Collapse Details
    Bug,
    The reason he tacks them is so when the buyer gets them he just lines up the tack marks to ease in assembly. Helps keep it all level and lined up. I think its a great idea and when you weld it back you can blend in the tack marks with your weld.

5. Collapse Details
    ya i know, there is nothing wrong with how he does it, just would be less expensive and time consuming not to, i think if i did it i would clamp and etch lines to line up, though i probbaly would only sell tacked so they could be built in a jig and stay that way, as most people would probbaly reassemble on the floor. but just my .02 worth. if i were to do it i would do a car very similar to his, not like the one i am building, i would have to get 1000 for the one i am building because there is so many notches, tubing etc.

6. Collapse Details
    Good luck can't wait to see your progress. I almost went with the girard plans in fact they are still in route inthe mail. I am going to build the rorty r82s instead. Cant wait to see your mods on the car though. Tell your father we all wish him a safe return.

7. Collapse Details
    how was the cruise? you said you had two ladys going with you, that was probbaly very fun!

8. Collapse Details
    Haha, the cruise was awesome, and both ladies were the best. I scewed the story alittle bit, I didnt take my wife and my girlfriend. I call my girlfriend my wife, because we have been together for 3 years, but we aren't married. The other one is our mutual friend, whom we spend lots of time with. The cruise brought us together in great ways. Its nice to have friends who would do anything for you. Anyways, Im just now learning how to type on the keyboard again, since being gone for a week.

9. Collapse Details
    Oh, and the girls were seriously the 2 most beautiful girls on the whole boat. Ill post pics when our friend brings my camera over.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by headinclouds
    The cruise brought us together in great ways. Its nice to have friends who would do anything for you.

PIMP

If i read right, thats my american dream!!!! 8) 8) 8)

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast