Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Re-engine Chinese 110 with Predator 212
    Millenium Member darwinpayne2000's Avatar
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    I'm finally back to working on the exhaust.

I have the prototype tack-welded together. I designed it with a joint in the exhaust, so I could change the rear exhaust if I choose, plus give it some flexibility. I still need to add a rear bracket to hang the exhaust from the frame. The bracket will need to be slotted, so I can move the engine forward to tighten the chain on the primary jackshaft. Not a lot of progress over the past few days, but it's progress.

IMG_2504.jpg IMG_2505.jpg

2. Collapse Details
    Slip joint and all. Just showing off now.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

3. Collapse Details
    how are you going to change the oil without it lapping all over that steel plate?
    HARD WORK PAY$

4. Collapse Details
    Am I the only one, or was the minibuggy site down for a few days?

Draining the oil.

Speaking of plates, there's also a steel plate on the bottom of the frame, underneath the engine mounting plate so changing the oil would be a nasty mess, except . . .

I have a vacuum pump that I use to suck out the oil through the filler hole. This is a common issue on these industrial engines because they don't have a drain plug on the bottom. Draining out the front or back always causes a mess. The oil tends to shoot out, then settle into a slow dribble that leaks on everything. I saw this hand-operated vacuum unit that was made for this task, so I bought it. Neater than sliced bread, I tell you.

5. Collapse Details
    Site has been very traffic slow but working for me.

Got a pic of Vac pump? It's sounds very mess free.

6. Collapse Details
    Here's a picture of the pump.

Close the clip on the hose, then use the plunger (1 or 2 pumps) to create a vacuum in the tank. Stick the hose down into the filler opening on the engine, then unclamp the hose. The vacuum in the tank will suck in the oil. If you have the tank sitting lower than the engine, a minor vacuum is enough to get the siphon effect started.

No muss, no fuss.
    IMG_2511.jpg

7. Collapse Details
    It's alive!! It's alive!!

The last component to mount was the carburetor. Being last, it has to make-do with the available space, which is . . . no space. It sticks out like a sore thumb on the back-right of the engine.

The stock carburetor is nothing to brag about, so I'm using a 24mm flat-slide. It was supposed to be a Mikuni TM flat-slide, but in my haste to get the cheapest deal, I didn't read the (sparse) details describing the carburetor. When it arrived, it turned out to be a clone of the Keihin OKO carburetor. Well, okay, I've worked with Keihin carbs before and I have a set of idle jets that fit the carb, but the main jet is much smaller than what I'm used to using. I did some research and discovered that the 24mm Mikuni and the Keihin OKO both use a small round jet that is nearly identical. The Mikuni is just 1mm longer. Confusing for everyone, including for the Chinese, because they shipped it with 3 Mikuni-style jets, not the proper Keihin jets. However, it doesn't really matter. Both jets work the same. One millimeter longer or shorter is in the round-off.

I fashioned up my intake manifold, hooked up the carburetor and the throttle cable and prepared to do battle with trying to start the beast. Surpisingly, all it took was two tugs on the pull start and it fired up. Wow.

Neither the idle jet nor the main jet was exactly correct. That would have been too easy. I focused on the idle jet first, working my way up until I was seeing black smoke out the exhaust when I goosed it. I backed off from a #45 to a #35 and it started to purr. Similar approach with the main jet, except I started rich (#150) and worked my way down to a #120. Now, we're firing on all (1) cylinders!!

Pictures of the carburetor, aka sore thumb, below.

IMG_2509.jpg IMG_2508.jpg

8. Collapse Details
    Bugger the plastic. Test ride, test ride!!!

9. Collapse Details
    I threw the seat on the buggy and drove it around the neighborhood while dialing in the carburetor. On the plus side . . .

The engine has more torque than the old 110cc engine. That is somewhat to be expected since it's a bigger piston. It pulls up the hills without a second thought. The jackshaft setup also seems to be working well. Everything is staying in alignment. My custom exhaust exceeded my expectations. It's quieter than I thought it would be, but you still get a nice, deep rumble when you give it the gas. On the negative side . . .

I'm not seeing the snappy throttle response that I was expecting from the flat-slide carburetor. Acceleration is just so-so, especially when you compare it to my 90cc two-stroke ATV. That ATV has a big-bore kit and it now comes on with a bang when you hit the throttle. I had my fingers crossed that a flat-slide carburetor and the free-flowing exhaust would be enough, but alas, it's on to the next step in the evolution of this ATV.

The Next Step is the Mod2 camshaft, stiffer valve springs and a spark advance woodruff key for the flywheel. This trifecta should be sufficient to boost the engine 3, maybe 4 horsepower and get the throttle response where I want it. I have the camshaft and springs already. The woodruff key is on it's way.

10. Collapse Details
    Sounds good!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast