Thread: Panther rebuild

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Panther rebuild
    Your using Pythagoras now!

images.jpeg-17.jpg
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

2. Collapse Details
    Have to throw in a little theoretical scientific-ness sometimes right? Hoping to get a test run in later today. Maybe I should do a timed 60í stretch every mod I make? HmmÖ

Also, a local motorsport dealer does nitrogen gas charging; so Iím hoping to get the rear shocks pumped up an inch or more to get it higher off the groundÖ still need to make that sprocket skid plateÖ

Pic of the muffler/spark arrestor with the baffle plates on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R
    Desert kart "Panther" build

3. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member darwinpayne2000's Avatar
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    The different-sized jets were due to the exhaust pipe. One cylinder had a much longer distance through the muffler to exhaust, so the intake/exhaust flow characteristics were different. You were wise to drill out the jets to the same size because your header eliminates that issue.

The fuel pump has been criticized as being anemic and cutting out, but I think the real issue is the low oil cutoff switch. I put a big, beefy fuel pump on my engine and it still had cutout issues. I disconnected the cutoff switch and my problems went away. The other reason that I think the stock fuel pump will be okay is the substitute fuel pump sold by Performance670 is nothing special. It's used mainly with single cylinder engines.

Regarding the belt. I'm running an LMX1034 belt, which is 1 inch smaller in diameter than your belt. Maybe that would be a good option?
    Last edited by darwinpayne2000; 08-11-2022 at 02:49 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    That’s how I understood the jetting also. Good to know on the fuel pump and that the cutout switch is easily rectifiable. I may add another throttle spring to get another 100-200 rpm to touch 40mph, but that’s about all I want, for now.
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R

5. Collapse Details
    Put carb back together and response seems the same. Turned slow speed screws out another 1/8 each for kicks. Painted the header. Test drive revealed it has more power all through the range. It leaves short black tire marks on pavement now if you hammer it from a standstill. Also, I heard a ding ding ding! and I lost my sprocket key but the sprocket set screws held until I stopped and put my spare in. I put lock collars on either side of the drive sprocket to prevent that from happening again. On another note, I tried coming around a corner hot and the motor shut down. Oil sensor. Guess whatís coming unplugged next. Iím impressed with the torque of this motor with just a few basic mods. It still only does 39-40mph, but it gets there quicker now. Iím even still using the stock air filter and air box. If you mash the go pedal from a stop the front even gets a little light. Not bad. It sounds good with the baffles, not obnoxious, but still says, ďIím here, get out of the way!Ē when youíre on the throttle. Also, itís thirsty. Thanks for all your help everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R

6. Collapse Details
    Epic!
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

7. Collapse Details
    Yeah, now that motor is running in the "fun" zone.

One of the reasons why I switched from my B&S Vanguard engine to the Predator 670 was for more torque. Just out-of-the box, I could feel the difference.

That reminds me, I need to get my buggy out this weekend!!!

Another note: You're probably right at the intersection of the "bang" and "buck" lines on the graph. Cranking out incrementally more horsepower at this point starts getting way more expensive. However, if you want to get the rpm's up, swap out the stock springs for the heavier valve springs from Performance 670. Only 40 bucks. You use the rope trick to keep the valves from falling down into the engine, then you swear alot at the *@#$ keepers as you try to get them to go back in.

Ask me how I know that.
    Last edited by darwinpayne2000; 08-12-2022 at 11:18 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    I may just order a thicker (and slightly shorter) belt to get max potential out of it too. If I end up keeping it long term I would consider doing the valve springs and a better air filter. I love a good bargain though, so I will probably leave it as is for now with minor adjustments. I still have the high altitude jets available to drill one size larger still. Assuming the oil level is full before every ride, have you had any bearing problems by removing the oil sensor, Darwin?
    I should have some time to finish a few welds on it, maybe even add a light switch where the choke cable was and mount a light. Yeah get yours out!
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R

9. Collapse Details
    The low oil sensor is a good idea for the original purpose, where the engine sits stationary and is mostly ignored until the engine won't start and the negligent owner realizes that he hasn't performed an oil change or added any oil to the engine in several years. Ouch!!

My B&S Vanguard engine had an external pressure switch inline with the oil pump. It is a better design because the switch was monitoring for low oil pressure and not just responding to oil sloshing around in the bottom of the engine. I ran it with the switch for years and never had a cutout. I finally took it off because the #@$%& switch started leaking oil. At that point, I considered the switch a point of failure and never replaced it.

So, I'm fairly confident that the pressurized oil system is working fine and the switch is just being . . . dumb.

10. Collapse Details
    Great info, thanks! I’m really thankful you did the R and D for all of this.
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast