Thread: Panther rebuild

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Panther rebuild
    I'd say it's more your tires.

Great first tests. Few changes needed but it drove!
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

2. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member darwinpayne2000's Avatar
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    When you get your Ackerman working right, let me know how you did it so I can fix mine.

The way it's supposed to work is that you draw a line from your spindle to the middle of the rear axle and the angle on the steering arm should be parallel with the line. Well, I've tried that and it's still not right. It's close enough that I can live with it (most days), but I would really like it to work as that Ackerman guy intended.

As regards to your CVT belt. If you're using the standard belt, the center-to-center distance between the two clutches should be 10.5 inches. The clutch offset is 5/8 inch. If you belt is getting hot, then I would think that the offset is the culprit. When you rev up the engine and the clutches engage, the belt should not twist sideways.

There are a couple of ways to check the clutch alignment. The best method is to lay a straight-edge against the driven clutch, extending towards the driver clutch. Measure from the inside of the straight-edge to the outside of the driver clutch. The difference should be 5/8 inch.

3. Collapse Details
    I do need new front tires as these I picked up for $20 used, and they were a pain to put on.

Im probably just going to cut the old arms off and fab new ones at a greater angle than existing so that imaginary line intersects at the rear axle.

It doesn’t appear the belt is twisting or flexed sideways at all, but I can’t see all of it from the driver’s seat. Have to run it up on stands again against the wall.
    Edit: Comet 780 drive and 100D driven with a used “Dayco” brand 1-3/16” belt that I already had.
    Last edited by Calibuggy; 08-08-2022 at 07:50 PM.
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R
    Desert kart "Panther" build

4. Collapse Details
    We’re up to 39mph and a much better takeoff. Won’t burn tires on pavement, but it should leave a mini-roost on dirt. Good enough for now until exhaust and jetting. Also, my belt is 1.125” not a 1-3/16” like I thought; which may have something to do with it.

edit: pulleys are about 5/8”-3/4” offset.
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R

5. Collapse Details
    39mph is fast enough to get around. Few tweaks and there is more to be had to.

Well done!
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

6. Collapse Details
    Header so far. I formed the collector by hand, literally as I donít have an anvil here at the moment. 9405E436-5AF3-48D6-8605-C84B73D1ADDC.jpeg
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R

7. Collapse Details
    Question
    Done (minus paint). Sounds OK with the baffles on, and very nice with them off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R

8. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member darwinpayne2000's Avatar
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    The Dayco part number on your belt, HP3004, is a 1-3/16 belt. Since it's a little worn, it probably measures as a 1-1/8 belt. The center-to-center distance also looks about right. Your belt is 1 inch longer than mine, but that's almost in the round-off. If you want to double check, pull the belt towards the driver clutch and pinch it down on the shaft. There should be a minimum of 1/4 inch gap between the inside of the belt and the front of the shaft. If the gap is too small, the clutches tend to ride on the belt, creating friction. If the gap is too large, it will allow the engine to rev up and jerk the belt when engaging.

In looking at the pictures, everything looks right. The belt doesn't look too tight or too loose as it sits in the clutches. It basically looks the same as mine. The 5/8 to 3/4 inch offset is also "within spec".

So, you may have a smoking belt, but I'm not finding a smoking gun.

edit: I looked up information on the Comet 100D driven clutch. It works with both a 1-3/16 and a 1-1/4 inch belt. When using the narrower belt, it will ride at least 1/2 inch down into the clutch. So, I would check the gap between the belt and the driver clutch.
    Last edited by darwinpayne2000; 08-10-2022 at 02:34 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks Darwin! I hammered on it yesterday, and it seems cooler now with the belt being tightened. The next belt I get will probably be around half an inch shorter, as I am out of motor adjustment. Going to paint the header and open up the jets a little bit.

Edit: The belt is so close to 1.125” I just assumed that’s what it was supposed to be.
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R

10. Collapse Details
    Drilled the stock main jets from .0395Ē (.040Ē for ease of numbers) to .042Ē; just over a 7 percent increase from stock. The 108 main jet measured .040 and the other side (105) was even smaller, so at least now theyíre equal and enlarged for the new pipe. So combined with the low speed jets being opened up and the mains being drilled; Iíll be getting just shy of 10 percent more fuel throughout the rev range. Hopefully thatís enough to keep it happy and cool enough. I donít want to go too big for 2 reasons: A: Itís not easily reversible, and B: I donít want to overwhelm the stock fuel pump (apparently anemic). It this proves not enough fuel increase, Iíll end up getting a bigger pump and going larger. Fingers crossed. I know thereís more acceleration power on the table, just have to squeeze it a little.
    I also removed a steel plate covering (maybe) 10 percent of the intake square area (assuming it was for intake noise control).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast