Thread: Panther rebuild

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Panther rebuild
    It just so happened that a 3.5 gallon tank fit nicely up there.

I have a bunch of stainless 1-1/8” tubing with straights and bends I have cut up and leftover from an FZ09 exhaust I got for free a few months ago that I’m planning on making a header and running an aftermarket Supertrapp glasspack and disc spark arrestor. Going to try to make it short as possible. Motor will be basically stock, besides header, governor removal, and jetting.

Computers, who knows?

Picked up a couple of free parts from some projects a while back and found a fuel valve in my stash of extra parts that I’ll use. Can’t beat free.
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R
    Desert kart "Panther" build

2. Collapse Details
    Fingers crossed all the hard parts are behind you and it's a downhill run to its first test drive.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

3. Collapse Details
    Sure hope so! Overcast today, so I’m planning on taking advantage of the cooler weather after work.
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R

4. Collapse Details
    Extended the wiring harness about 18” and mounted the ignition unit. Filled with oil, cranked some to get it flowing, put in some fuel, and vroom, it runs. Factory jetting is way lean as expected so I pulled air cleaner and drilled Welch plugs and turned idle jet screws to 3.25 out from the stock 2.5, and now it starts without choke at least. Needing brake hoses now, project for another day…
    Anyway, my wife and sister in law were cooking and baking today and it smells quite good in the house.
    I let the drivetrain spin up slowly and increased throttle to max and no binding or anything anywhere so I think it’ll be good for a test drive fairly soon. Brakes, shocks, jetting, exhaust, and finish all the welding and she’ll be done.
    PIC: Ignition/key unit mounted by right side of seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Calibuggy View Post
    Brakes, shocks, jetting, exhaust, and finish all the welding and she’ll be done.
    PIC: Ignition/key unit mounted by right side of seat.
    Brakes are for stopping not going. A few bits of wood will be fine as shocks for a slow putt around. The motor runs so bugger jetting. The exhaust will keep you ear warm and tack welds will be fine.

Send it already.

Edit Sister in law can run the stove while wife holds the camera. Winning!

6. Collapse Details
    I like your style Jim! I did think about putting in some square tube for now in place of tuning the shocks… I ended up cutting a hole on the backside of the muffler with a hole say and tacking a short glasspack on since it was ridiculously loud. Brake line sourcing failed today as I didn’t make it to the hose shop. I did however find I had hard line and some fittings on hand.
    Also… I ran out of welding wire!
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R

7. Collapse Details
    Put a wheel on and did a short burst-run up to speed on a jack stand. I’m not sure what rpm the motor attained (have to get a mini tach), and even though I lost track by eye of the tire turning, it looked like it was turning fairly slow. The pulley sheaves look to be functioning properly. It looks like overdrive will be minimal, but should still happen. I’ll GPS clock it once I have the brakes and shocks done and be able to tell.
    New master cylinder mounted, brake lines tightened, and rubber lines attached to calipers today. I also put a few more tack welds on critical areas so it doesn’t fall apart for initial test drive.
    Pic is of brake lines even though it doesn’t look any different than the last pic.
    I’ll be hooking the throttle directly up to the carb later as the response utilizing the governor is disappointing. Plans to drill the main jets a size larger or two also. As much as I want to drive it already, have to bleed the brakes first. Had a bad experience with a barbed wire fence and no brakes on an ATC 250R years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R

8. Collapse Details
    So close. Talk about excitement plus!

9. Collapse Details
    Went to the auto parts store after church and picked up a bottle of brake fluid. My wife helped me bleed the brakes and she even cleaned up my shop a bunch while I welded a few more tacks into place just in case and took it out for a spin. It drives! Ackerman is backward, but can be partially fixed later. It glides over small bumps. Top speed 35 on gps at unknown governor max rpm (with “max throttle limiting screw” removed). The front rises considerably while accelerating; which I like, and the brakes work fine. Fires up without choke once warm (stock jets, but slow speed needles turned out to 3.25 from 2.5); throttle response is reasonable. It’s nearly 100 out today and it felt like belt slip so I parked it. Belt is hot to the touch and just hotter than I can leave my hand on; which seems too hot. Happy cruise rpm at 21-25 mph. Shocks are too soft front and rear but another thing for another time. Can belts get glazed and slip without burning? No smoke.
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R

10. Collapse Details
    First 2 test drives went well. Since then, I’ve tightened the belt considerably but haven’t run it yet. I think it was way too loose since it lacks low-end power and didn’t max out all that high either (35mph).
    Suspension and steering tuning are next on the books.

The suspension I can mess with and fix myself, but as for the steering, since I had to make the rear track so wide, I’m hoping I can mix and match a few things to get the rear end to kick out some.
    Main handling problems:
    1. Ackerman is backward, and outside tire drags/pushes.
    2. Front tires are low on tread; which contributes to low front grip.
    3. Rear tires are new and aggressive, making them hard to break loose.
    4. Rear track-width equals the front, giving minimal leverage to break loose, but ultra high stability.
    5. Considerable rear weight bias (I may move battery more forward to help this).
    I have Heims at the rear inner arms that I can adjust, but I don’t really want to wear tires out with toe in or out. Anybody have an educated guess on if altering the Ackerman Angle will keep the front end from pushing so badly?
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast