Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: GK34 Predator Swap
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
    K-Fab I'm having a hard time finding my spark after breaking stuff down. I'm sure I've unplugged something and not plugged it back in. I have almost ZERO experience with sleds. Do they have safeties like motorcycles? I mean, I know they don't have clutch switches and side stand switches and such but is there something else that might keep it from sparking?
    Old two smoke? Not that I know of. The only safety thing I knew of was a wrist tether.

The sleds were caveman simple. Pretty much an ignition circuit and a lighting/charge circuit.
    Do you have a wire diagram? Copy and drop into this thread and we can go thru it.

Should be a mark on flywheel to indicate TDC for one cylinder and then ignition is timed from that. A lot of the smokers fire both plugs at the same time, 180 out of phase, twice/rev. (Old Kawasaki Jet Skis as an example). I don’t remember if the triple fired all three plugs at the same time bu I have sneaky suspicion they did too.

You have (guessing) either forgotten a ground, have missed a plug or maybe plugged something in backwards or pinched a lead. At least that’s the route I’d be chasing. Engine and ignition box are grounded to each other and the frame/battery, correct?

Electrical shit can be the worst.
    Sand is for fast cars
    Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

2. Collapse Details
    The tether is what I'm stuck on I think...I got a kill switch on the throttle, a dirtbike style kill button on the left handlebar, but it seems like there should be a tether somewhere and I'm missing it. I haven't managed to find a wiring diagram for the thing yet...or I have but they're all black outlines with no wire colors listed...so I'm not sure what color the tether would be, where it would be in the harness, and how to bypass it.

3. Collapse Details
    Wiring is so

I still think you should put your time into the v-twin. Few more tweaks and it's there. Its low rpm tourque. Low noise. Does not need fuel mix. Runs.

Up to you, but from the plan as it first started that was what you wanted. Still rabbit holes are rabbit holes. They are not going to explore themselves.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

4. Collapse Details
    If I use the 580 or sell the 580 I gotta get it on video running or else it's a non-running engine...and non-running engines can only be sold as paperweights . If I can demonstrate it running then I can probably get enough to fund building the Predator up a little more. The Predator still has a number of obstacles to overcome...namely a proper charging circuit and finding another 15lbs of torque...but it does run nice...

5. Collapse Details
    well, stator's bad on the 580...bummer. I'm at a point where I sell it off or invest money into it to get something I probably not too keen on. Not too hard a choice, but would have been better if I'd have been able to get it running. I had it hit before I started tearing things down and I must have done something to it in the process to toast the coils. Ever read an ad that says "it runs I just don't have any way of proving this to anyone"? lol

I guess I picked it up for the clutch so I'm off to trying to figure out how to make the clutch work at 1/3 the rpm.

6. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    With the CVT clutches, it's all a matter of weights and springs. If you want lower engagement, then put in heavier weights and a softer spring. I'm familiar with the Polaris clutches. A Polaris 250, which has about 24 hp, uses 48 gram weights and a blue-green spring. It engages the clutch almost as soon as you touch the throttle.

The driven clutch has a red spring.

7. Collapse Details
    OK So after spending a week trying to decide which way I’m going to go here, still just a little bit wishy-washy on it. Right now I’m leaning towards using the clutches with the predator motor. I really wanted to make the predator motor work so I am emotionally invested in this, plus I don’t want to have to invest more money in the 580 just to get it to work. On top of that I think I can sell what I’ve got of the 580 stuff and come up with enough money to buy the other sled this guy has...which is a 150hp 900cc mountain cat. I don’t know what I’ll do with it, but I’m sure whatever it is will be neat.

doing my research here the biggest hurdle I’ve got to overcome with using these clutches with the predator motor is RPM. The clutches don’t start engaging with the 580 motor until after the 670 predator is capped out. How I’m thinking of addressing this is running the clutches off the jack shaft and then driving to Jak shaft with a 1 to 2 ratio chain. it would be easy and cheap and it would get the clutch is into the desired RPM range. My concern there is with the secondary moving too fast for the transmission. I don’t think it’ll be a big deal but maybe. My concern there is having a chain and sprocket set up that’s moving 10,000 RPM on the small side. The benefit to that would be it would give me an easy way to drive an alternator and it would let me use all stock clutch components. It would also allow me to run a fixed spacing between the jack shaft and the transmission input shaft.

i’m considering doing it that way because finding springs and weights that would bring the engine down at my desired RPM range has been really difficult. I’ve talk to multiple ATV and sled shops that specialize in making performance modifications to these things and they all have no idea what an appropriate spring and weight combination would be.

Alternatively I could just sell the lot by 780 but Makassar and there is finding an appropriate driven clutch and even then I’m afraid of having a system that cost a whole lot more money and it’s still not quite right.

8. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Blog Entries
    Put the sled motor in.

9. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Blog Entries
    You know now that you mention it, there used to be add on torque convertors for mini bikes that were set up like you described.

10. Collapse Details
    If I could find a reasonable stator I might lean more toward going that route but all I can find are used stators that look like they've been set on fire and new ones for more than it'll cost to machine the spacers I need to adapt the clutches :/

It's probably going to be another couple weeks before I can put any serious work into this, if a stator falls in my lap I'll might change tack again.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast