Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: GK34 Predator Swap
    Got ready to cut all the mounts and tack them together then stalled...thought I was going to adjust chain tension using washers under the jackshaft. Now I'm debating trying to find a way to making the motor slide back and fort...

2. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    I have some bad news for you. Your driven clutch is installed backwards.

Yes, I know, you see people installing them with the spring facing outwards all the time, but they're aping the Model 30 clutch. The Model 30 is an asymmetric belt and is designed to have the spring face outwards so they can sell a Torq-a-verter kit to replace the engine clutch used on cheaper go karts.

If you look at the clutches and think about how they will operate, you'll see the problem. As you rev up the engine, the driver clutch will move inwards and push the belt towards the engine. On the other hand, the driven clutch will open on the spring-side and move the belt outwards, toward the spring. You'll end up with the belt twisted in the sheaves and it will lead to premature belt wear.

3. Collapse Details
    Interesting...the paperwork that came with it shows it mounted exactly the way I have it on there and every picture I can find with one mounted shows it the same way, though. If I got to flip it around it's not a huge issue if I can also flip the drive clutch around. I've seen that done a few times but I've never seen the inside of one of them, not sure if it works the same.

4. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Blog Entries
    I have no experience with that clutch, but if what Darwin says is true, you can’t flip both of them or you will be in the same situation. You would have to flip one or the other, not both.

5. Collapse Details
    Okay, maybe I'm wrong. It looks like a Model 40 clutch to me. Maybe they changed the design. It will be easy to verify, however. Watch the clutches and how the belt moves once you get it up-and-running.

6. Collapse Details
    I can see it being an issue...I'm going to try and get it running today (not necessarily driving, but at least running) and I'll see how they work out. I have a lot of room for adjustment if I need to flip one or the other around so it should be okay. If the whole thing flops I found out someone makes tapered shaft adapters pretty cheap, and I got a buddy with a boatload of old parts sleds sitting around...I can maybe try one of those clutch setups.

7. Collapse Details
    https://www.facebook.com/ToysforWatt...82306643590929

Got my motor mounts welded up...little bit of Kubrick (take it off and do it again over and over) and a little bit of Hitchcock (eh close enough). It's got some wobble to it but the mount is pretty narrow and the motor is tall and top heavy. There's a bunch of threaded mounting points around the PTO...I'm going to make another heavy mount that'll bolt up there and brace against the frame of the buggy over the slots I had previously used for chain adjustment with the CBR engine. That should handle all the side to side stability and it'll give me a mounting point for an alternator.

8. Collapse Details
    One more buggy update...I wanted to get it rolling today but failed, oh well, very close! Still going to have to make a bracket to support the muffler. It's not exactly what I had in mind but it'll work for now...materials to get what I wanted weren't readily available locally, a revised version will happen in the future.

9. Collapse Details
    It's taking you about 1/10 of the time it took me to get the motor installed in my buggy. Keep chugging along!!

10. Collapse Details
    I tend to spend a lot of time thinking about what I'm going to do and gathering materials...makes the process a lot easier once you hit the go button. Plus I'm very familiar with cutting something off and redoing it because I jumped in too fast and missed some crucial detail. It also helps a LOT that I don't care what the end result looks like just so long as it works

The buggy moved under its own power yesterday. The clutch definitely gets all caddywhompus under speed and the springs are absolutely not very well rated for the buggy. It'll require a lot of tuning the clutch to get it sorted out. Smokes the belt pretty good getting going in anything higher than 3rd gear, 2nd gear gets me 25mph or so, first gear climbs over stuff without a lot of trouble. Definitely not fast but it putts around. The engine runs CRAZY lean...I've just ordered a 40mm CV carburetor to help get some tuning done on that front. I know the norm is usually a 34mm (ish) flat slide but I don't think flat slide characteristics are going to be the best for what I do. I'll post a video later today.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast