Thread: Poor Mans UTV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Poor Mans UTV
    WOW! That was a cool photo scroll! Nice vehicle!
    I race, therefore I am

2. Collapse Details
    Nice work. Reminds me a of my Carter Brothers Build I sold a year ago. The thing ended up being more money to build it into what I wanted it to be rather than what it was, so I sold it. Looks like you stuck with it though. It looks good. Love the RPM GB. That's exactly where my project ended for me. To big a pill to $wallow.

Is the Hood Scoop functional or just for looks? I noticed you had a heater in there.
    HARD WORK PAY$

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by aschn View Post
    Really cool work! Were the A arms breaking separate incidents or just one? I couldn't tell by the order of the pictures I saw. What do you think it weighs all said and done? They look like some fun trail rigs for sure.
    Thanks! The front left a arms got hit 3 times in the last two years. also the rear trailing arms have been made twice. i think the weight is in the 800 range with no one in it. They are a blast pretty quick too will upload videos soon!

Quote Originally Posted by XJZ33 View Post
    Wow, that's pretty cool. I love all the work, boxing in cab, the climate controls, rebuilding the suspension etc.

Did i see it right and you made your own stub axles by turning down some vw tranny conversion cups and welded them to a splined shaft? That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I was wondering about the weldability of the steel cups before dropping coin on them.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    Thanks its a blast especially being able to ride in 20 degree weather and be nice and warm in the cab. Yup i got some flanges off of EMPI if i remember correctly and welded the chinese splined portion on. I trued them up on a lathe and welded with #308 stainless tig rod, so far for the last 1.5 years they have held up great and i beat the living crap out of this buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by JagerDanger View Post
    I was wondering how long that cheap gearbox was going to hold up, before it grenades and it gets swapped out. Looks like you splurged on a RPM box right after that. So how deep $$$ are you into this?
    Its funny you say that i went through two gearboxes before i contacted Dan for an RPM box. My cousin has the same cheap chinese box in his buggy powered by a gsxr750 and he has zero issues. money wise as of now obvi not counting my labor im just shy of $8500 thats with the fox shocks, 930 cv's, and rpm box. It was defiantly worth it though! I have left multiple rzr 900's in the dust and having a 6spd is much more fun than a cvt IMO.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by odypilots View Post
    WOW! That was a cool photo scroll! Nice vehicle!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 67StingrayJ View Post
    Nice work. Reminds me a of my Carter Brothers Build I sold a year ago. The thing ended up being more money to build it into what I wanted it to be rather than what it was, so I sold it. Looks like you stuck with it though. It looks good. Love the RPM GB. That's exactly where my project ended for me. To big a pill to $wallow.

Is the Hood Scoop functional or just for looks? I noticed you had a heater in there.
    For me its my 3rd build and i sort of knew exactly what i wanted, after some tlc its almost perfect now i just want more power! The RPM was the most expensive part of the whole build but I have to say that it is worth every penny! The scoop WAS functional my idea was that it would be an intake for the heater core but it turned out to cool it too much and send unnecessary mud everywhere so i blocked it of now its just for looks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2