Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Lil Ripper the EBK
    Update

So been looking at parts, and came up with this:

Front Rim - DWT Racing Wheels A5 10x5 4B+1N Offset, 4/4 Bolt Pattern
    Rear Rim - DWT Racing Wheels A5 8x8 3+5 Offset, 4/4 Bolt pattern

Tires - DWT Racing MX V3 Tires, Front - 20x6-10, Rear 18x10-8

I know the offset means how far the center of the rim is, but what number is what side? and what does the B or N mean on the front rims?

Brakes, for now, I'll use just one on the jack shaft, later when I upgrade to Dirt bike engine, I'll add front brakes

Engine Wise, most likely going with the Honda GX630, With a Comet 780 CVT

Been reading a couple threads, and seeing most use 1" DOM tubing for the builds, so maybe 1" instead of 1.25"? would keep some weight down, might need some more bracing though.

Gearing, anyone know what ratio or # of teeth on the sprockets on these? Been seeing something like 10-14t front to like 30-40t on the wheel, is this close? I know I'll have to experiment with gearing, but want to get close with it first. I know gearing goes CVT Sprocket > Large jack shaft sprocket > Small jack shaft sprocket > Large wheel sprocket. Total of 6 Sprockets

Depending on gearing, is 45-55 Mph reasonable / achievable for 20 Hp, 650Lb Kart, with reasonable response and Getup-and-Go power? I know the one running Dirtbike engines hit around 80-90+ Mph, about the same at the Trophy Karts

Been Looking at front suspension designs, and the Upright / Spindle looks like a 1.5"-2" square tubing just cut out at the ends, or are they fully custom?

Advice on what size heims to use? was thinking 1/2-1/2 or 5/8-1/2, are those alright? High misalignment spacers

I know k-fab said to keep rims the same, but these tires/rims are common ATV sizes

Any and all advice is welcome

Thx
    Last edited by PanDa_; 11-11-2019 at 05:51 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    I am using all 3/8 heims on my build, but my weight goal is 500 lbs. As for frame tubing I am using 1.25" .065 for all primary frame members and 1" .049 for all secondary frame members, which should be plenty strong enough (with the correct geometry).

3. Collapse Details
    There is a trophy kart roller on desert rangers for sale.Just fyi.https://www.dezertrangers.com/thread...an-out.239082/
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

4. Collapse Details
    Been thinking, and reading Jody's builds on the FXT630,
    Might go with the EX40 at first, Might just skip and go with a Honda GX630, Comet 40 Series Torque Converter
    So does Jody's buggies, the FXT630, use 18'' rear tires? read through the thread, and couldn't find specs on the tires.
    Weight seems like a decent goal, bit less tubes than the FXT's, same size tubing probably, 1.25'' x 0.083-0.090'' DOM
    Honda with 7:1 Gearing hitting 55Mph, so the Subaru should hit about 35-40? Plenty for this small buggy...for now . Just a play buggy, so good speeds for Trails / Woods, there's this nice off road BLM land place about an hr drive from home, lots of off road jeep / truck trails, dirt bike / ATV trails, so will most likely take it out there

Thx Bull, I saw that, but if I got a TK, It would be a bigger one, more towards the Mod 450, but I want to build my own, but thanks for posting

5. Collapse Details
    So I've been drawing Ideas for the uprights, what do the offset's mean? And the numbers?

Front Offset - 4B+1N
    Rear Offset - 3+5

Thx

6. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Offset 3+5 means that you have an 8” wide rim with the backspacing (where the wheel bolts to the hub) of the center 3” from the outer edge, 5 from the inner.

Not seen the nomenclature of the first. Often you’ll see ET followed by digits (19x10.5 ET30) which would be a 19” diameter, 10.5” wide, 30mm offset from the outside of the rim (basically the 3 in 3+5). More street wheel oriented.

Don’t forget bolt patterns too. 4x156 would be four lugs on a 156mm diameter pattern as an example.
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

7. Collapse Details
    Thx K-fab. Yep, I know about bolt pattern, was just confused on what number is which side on offset. I'm seeing a lot / most trophy karts use uni ball's on the front suspension, whats the pro's and con's of uni ball's vs Heims? And what size uni balls would I use, something like this, 1/2 bore with the Cup and snap ring, and get Missalignment spacers? https://steinjager.com/shop/index.ph...oduct_id=24067 And if I go uni ball's, should I go 1/2 or 5/8 inch bore?

Thx
    Last edited by K-fab; 11-12-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: a (space bar) lot. Pet peeve of mine....

8. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Uniballs need a cup welded on the end of the pivot point. They press into the cup. Heims just thread into the end of your arm. Either works just fine. Uniball setup is probably a bit stronger, as you've welded the cup to the end of the suspension instead of just relying on the threads of the heim. In a lighter vehicle, either will work.

With a Trophy Kart sized ride, 1/2" balls or heims will be more than sufficient. The only reason to move up to a 5/8 uniball would be that you can get more angle from misalignment spacers by using a smaller bolt - I believe you can get some 5/8 that use 1/2" bolts and give you about 22-25 degrees of angle. (pulling numbers out of somewhere... too much crap floating around in my brain)

If you turn the uniballs "vertically" so the bolt goes through horizontally, you can get all sorts of crazy travel (see JGS's build) but you're limited to the highest angle misalignment spacers you can find for steering (what I've done on the Mini-Raptor too).
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

9. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I read JSG's thread, that thing is amazing. What I'm looking for though is around 12-14" of Travel, and good steering angle, I thought Uni ball's because it allows for good angle, but idk about travel, they seem about the same price, so might get a set of both, and do some trial and error, or If someone wants to do some steering / suspension geometry for me in AutoCad? What is the highest missalignment angle you can get for a 1/2 - 5/8 inch Heim / Uni?

Most likely, there will be really hard cornering, like hitting some sharp-ish turns at full throttle, around 45-50 I would imagine, so needs to be strong

Thx

10. Collapse Details
    So the past few days I've been modeling the rear suspension and drivetrain, how do these Trailing arms look? the blue is 2''ID pipe for the bearings, the square tubing is 1.5"x.120", with a 1/8" gusset, Grey is chains/sprockets, Black is the tire. Anything to change, or is there a different design that is stronger?

EBKTrailingArmDrivetrain1.PNG EBKTrailingArmDrivetrain2.PNG
    Top / Furthest Blue tube is 12" wide, Rear Blue tube is 9.25", 1" axle runs through bearings inside, and hub goes on outside end, drive sprocket goes on inside end. The angled tube is at 15* I believe, going towards the chassis 6" first. Is this good, or could it be made stronger, or a Different design?

Thx

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast