Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Desert Panther based (loosely) 2 seater
    I will try to rack my brain and reread your post and see what I can do to help. got a meeting right now

2. Collapse Details
    remember, I was not able to get the gauge cluster functioning but I did have it plugged in. I would use a relay to power up the fuel pump and that would be fired from the wire harness. I don't know how much help I can be, it was 2 or 3 years ago since I pulled the engine, I thought I had the wires marked.
    I believe there was a 12 vdc you need from the battery, I had a simple ignition switch for power to the system and then power to the starter, and of course power for the fuel pump. I don't recall having any tip over switch, there may be a clutch switch that needs to be closed to start, it on the busa but I don't remember if I had that on the 750 engine. there was a push button momentary starter switch, I can't say why they did not use the ignition switch for the starter. so in short I don't think there were too many wires needed to run. you can download a manual for that engine on line or you can contact me, I think I still have it that I could send to you.

3. Collapse Details
    I couldn't follow all of your tags/notes on the wiring when I first brought the motor home. I purchased a repair manual on Ebay for the motor and have starred at the wiring diagram for a few days. Once I started actively working on the wiring, I now understand most of the notes/tags you left on the wires and have set it up similarly. I did not see any push button switch for the starter included so I have wired the keyed switch to start the motor.
    I have no grief with anything you provided me. You bought the buggy with this wire harness already installed and I've just got to figure out how to get it to work.
    I checked and have no spark currently (or injector pulse) when I crank it over. I would have felt better if I did see spark.
    My fall back position on this is to buy another wire harness on Ebay and start over, but i dont think I'll have to.

I took a day away from wiring and I finished connecting my new throttle cables (push and pull) to the gas pedal, and got some more tubes in the cage along with and hour of fully welding some tube joints. My wife got a pic of me to complain to her friends about all the vacation time I'm burning out in the shop Desert Panther based (loosely) 2 seater

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

4. Collapse Details
    So I took the factory wire diagram and tried to delete all the wires that are no longer in my harness as is stands right now. The fuze block and whatever was next to it (looked like some kind of relay) in the diagram are missing as well. I can get the starter to crank in this configuration but I've got no spark or injector pulse.
    As a side note, my battery may not have enough power to crank and spark as I've read that can be an issue. I also have no fuel in the tank so the fuel pump isn't pumping anything currently (although it does work) so maybe the injectors won't pulse without fuel pressure behind them.
    The following items were already in the wiring when I bought the motor and Kuma had it running with them.
    -The jumpers between Y/R & O/W & keyed power
    -All the resistors (reaistance values and positions in the harness) except for the 100 ohm resistor for anti-theft broke. I replaced it with another 100 ohm resistor but it was only 1/4w instead of the 1/2w as it's what I had.
    -The jumper between R & R/Bl
    Do any of you think the resistor wattage, insufficient battery power, or lack of fuel pressure be the main reason I'm not getting spark or injector pulse?

Edited to add a few closer images of the major changes so hopefully it can be seen.

Attachment 37135
    Last edited by XJZ33; 11-02-2020 at 10:35 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    So I dove into the wiring again tonight and found my problem. Originally I had pulled apart everything so I could make sure the resistors were soldered correctly and so I could measure them too. Well the anti-theft 100 ohm resistor was broke so I soldered in a new resistor and called it good. This is what I soldered in. Do you see the problem?

When I realized what I did I pulled out the original one I installed and soldered in the correct 100 ohm resistor and voila Desert Panther based (loosely) 2 seater I got spark and injector pulse with the noid light!Desert Panther based (loosely) 2 seater

Now I just need to put some fuel in the tank and coolant in the radiator and try starting it up tomorrow.

6. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Excellent sleuth work!
    Congrats.
    Damn decimal points....
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

7. Collapse Details
    You poor fella. Missed it by 99 ohms.

Bet you won't ever make that mistake again.

Back in my early wiring days I wired up a whole new engine wiring loom for a new ECU in an engine conversion I had done. Spent hours trying to work out why none of the relays would trigger. Almost rage quit the thing and called in a auto elec. One night when I should have been sleeping I was reading the ECU manual for the 11ty millionth time i read one small fact that I had not taken note of. The ECU is an earth not a positive power source. Funny how two negatives don't make a positive.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

8. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    The ECU is an earth not a positive power source. Funny how two negatives don't make a positive.
    I know that move!!!
    What the???
    That (relay) was supposed to go click.
    Muck about and get "click" (actually it was double click).
    Now other things that did go click don't go click. WTF???
    Careful study for, as you state the 11ty millionth time, and OH LOOK AT THAT! Switch wires and all is good.
    Chasing electrons can be a mind bender.
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

9. Collapse Details
    Got sidetracked with building my shift linkage rather that just starting up the motor like I want to. Appears to work fairly well. The green linkage is 2 cables I got from surplus center for a couple bucks each, the blue linkage is a couple rod ends and a steel rod, the orange linkage is the stock shift linkage, and I'm using the old screwdriver as the shift lever (I thought it looked cool). The sprocket cover has been modified (yellow) to allow me to hook up a driveshaft to a BMW differential.

10. Collapse Details
    Looks great.

Only if you feel it is needed a small triangle wedge welded in at the base of your screwdriver may save a drive home stuck in your last gear change. It just looks like a failure point with a few hundred excited gear changes. Otherwise I love it. Very clever.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast