Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Desert Panther based (loosely) 2 seater
    It's been a while because I spent 2 weeks in Oz for work and even saw a koala, a couple wallabies, and plenty of Roos.

I have been welding up a fuel tank out of some aluminum diamond plate. I also bought a fuel pump to try to get the crate motor running but still need to get a regulator.

I also tried to get a 4.44 BMW differential from ebay and they sent me the wrong one so I have had to order another but luckily don't have to return the first but still got a full refund as they made the mistake. So I have to wait for another to arrive now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. Collapse Details
    Spent some time adding in some diagonal braces to the chassis to help stiffen it up.

Also got an engine hoist to finally move the motor into place and start mounting it in the buggy and figuring out how to do the driveline and differential.

3. Collapse Details
    Picked up a 3rd row bench seat from a Ford Expedition at the recyclers for $100 to use in the buggy. It is just the right width and should work really good. May give me the option to sit 3 wide if kids ride with me.

Last edited by XJZ33; 12-27-2019 at 01:39 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Spent some time putting in a few more cross braces in the frame. I modified the frame under the seat by cutting the top of the tube off and made a channel for the seat mount to sit in. I plan on installing multiple positions for the seat to clip in so my kids can drive it too eventually.

5. Collapse Details
    Mounted the master cylinder I'm going to use (from my jeep cherokee) as well as made a brake and clutch pedal. I used some bronze bushings to keep the pivot smooth for the pedals.

And one more of my boy starting to see the vision
    Last edited by XJZ33; 01-05-2020 at 03:05 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Got the seat mounts all welded in so now I can sit in front of the pedals and not have the seat tip on me.

I also spent some time making and tacking in the motor mounts on the frame so I could get that in place and start working on the rest of the driveline/differential mounted to the frame.

I got the fine pitch fully threaded rod and nuts and cut them to size. I was able to remove the lug bolts from the trailer hubs I got on from surpluscenter.com and used the fully threaded studs to mount the wheels and front brake rotors using multiple nuts to space the rotors away from the wheel mount surface. I also started working on the front brake caliper mounts I'll weld to the knuckles. I'm using xr400 front brake calipers for the front of the buggy.
    Last edited by XJZ33; 01-17-2020 at 02:08 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Been on travel for work and busy with home projects recently so not much time for the buggy unfortunately. Took some time yesterday to work on it though. I was able to mount the steering wheel and make a steering shaft to connect it to the rack and now I have a functional method to steer this thing. Yay!
    I tried using 1/2" impact u-joints from Harbor freight and will probably replace them with real steering joints as there is way too much steering play without actually moving the rack.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

8. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    Yeah, I remember trying the 1/2" swivel joints a few years ago. A cheap and simple solution, right? Well, not exactly. I was surprised at the amount of play in the joints, also.

9. Collapse Details
    Got some time in the shop and was able to turn out some adapter plates for my BMW diff and stub axles (was originally going to use type 1 cv's but plans have changed to the 930's) I was also able to get most of the way done on my rotor mounts for the front wheels as my original rotor idea didn't work out as they were too thin and bent easily. I found some rotors for a yzf 450 for $15 each and am going to use them on all 4 corners.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

10. Collapse Details
    Clever. They look awesome. Saves gas torching them out and spending ages cleaning them up like I did. Doh.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast