Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Desert Panther based (loosely) 2 seater
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Mid/late 90s RM250 - the bipolar, passive-aggressive female dirt bike.
    NEVER will I throw a leg over a Suzuki dirt bike again. Titanium hardware and a night in the hospital was the result.
    Sand is for fast cars
    Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    Mid/late 90s RM250 - the bipolar, passive-aggressive female dirt bike.
    So tell me how you really feel about the bike?Desert Panther based (loosely) 2 seater I'm more of a Honda guy (currently own #6), but this is my 2nd Suzuki I've owned (not counting the gsxr motor in my buggy).
    NEVER will I throw a leg over a Suzuki dirt bike again. Titanium hardware and a night in the hospital was the result.
    Funny you say that as I was out riding it last Saturday with my boy and as I was turning (sand berm) the front end washed out and my chest hit the ground hard enough to knock the wind out of me. I may have broken a rib or two but definitely bruised them (the pain tells me). I should have put on my chest protector but didnt as I was just tooling around on a little desert track near home.
    I'm not giving up on the bike, but the suspension does need some tuning for me to get more comfortable on it. I really dig the huge conventional front forks though. Price was right for it and I cant afford a CR500 right now, which is what I really wanted.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by XJZ33; 11-09-2021 at 01:21 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm starting to realize you guys are all half mad. I'm scared enough in a roll cage let alone freeballing it on a bike with a cheese cake for underwear.

You even maim yourselves and do it again! I can't even collect firewood without a 13 week time out in plaster and you monkeys bounce along like meaty superballs and jump back on the bike days later. I don't get it all.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

4. Collapse Details
    I have broken my collarbone twice and dislocated my hip all from crashing while riding motorcycles. I dont think I'm even close to all the excitement KFab has had on bikes or even other guys I work with and their horror stories of bike crashes. I will clarify this though as I have never freeballed it on a bike but the cheesecake thing, I do it all the time Desert Panther based (loosely) 2 seaterDesert Panther based (loosely) 2 seater
    I will admit I still enjoy a good bike ride here and there.

When I took the buggy out for its maiden ride, I broke the clutch cable so I needed to come up with a solution. So I put in a Nissan clutch master cylinder and bought a cheap Chinese slave cylinder on Amazon for the fix. I got it installed and bled today. The slave cylinder had no bleeder nipple so I had to crack the banjo bolt, but it seemed to work. I haven't taken it out yet as I'm starting on a radiator relocation as well.

5. Collapse Details
    That looks mint. No more cable bind or breakage for you.

6. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    I'm starting to realize you guys are all half mad. I'm scared enough in a roll cage let alone freeballing it on a bike with a cheese cake for underwear.

You even maim yourselves and do it again! I can't even collect firewood without a 13 week time out in plaster and you monkeys bounce along like meaty superballs and jump back on the bike days later. I don't get it all.
    Will physically be 57 in about 5 weeks but still have stupid mid/late 20s mentality.
    My body definitely lets me know I'm sneaking up on 60 - but I ride with a couple guys in their late 60s/early 70s and they're inspiration.

One day I'll grow up and realize that this shit can hurt, maybe a tad dangerous on occasion and such - hopefully that day will be after the last dirt nap.

Quote Originally Posted by XJZ33 View Post
    I have broken my collarbone twice and dislocated my hip all from crashing while riding motorcycles. I dont think I'm even close to all the excitement KFab has had on bikes or even other guys I work with and their horror stories of bike crashes. I will clarify this though as I have never freeballed it on a bike but the cheesecake thing, I do it all the time Desert Panther based (loosely) 2 seaterDesert Panther based (loosely) 2 seater
    I will admit I still enjoy a good bike ride here and there.
    Holy shit - I cannot imagine what a dislocated hip is like. Shoulder's bad enough (ties with shattered heal for #1 OH SHIT THIS HURTS!) but a hip? Oh ouch, ouch, ouch.

I don't wanna have anymore adventures that involve hearing "SNAP". Although I don't recall the last time - just suddenly found myself standing there looking at the bike. That day will remain fuzzy, I'm sure.

That last crash is definitely still sitting with me - knocked my dirt mojo loose. Hell, I think it may have knocked my speed mojo loose. I was a mess on the track this past Saturday in the car. Just could not get a good feeling/flow going. I was fine riding with students but when I was behind the wheel I just wasn't there like I should be. Actually called it a day before the last session on Saturday and headed home.

There are days where I feel pretty darned good and then there are days where I'm way tentative and cautious. Stuff that I used to just sort of look at and throttle over now has me looking at it and thinking "hmmm...."

Yeah, I need to get the MR done... The last little run with a bit of course suspension tuning was a reminder of just what this thing should be like when done.

-----------------

That clutch setup ought to work.

I don't know why people complain about the feeling of a hydraulic setup (especially on pedal actuation).
    I've found, over the years, that they hydro systems on bikes are extremely reliable, have great feeling and adjust to the abuse run thru the system, although I'm not a clutch rider/abuser.
    Sand is for fast cars
    Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

7. Collapse Details
    Holy shit - I cannot imagine what a dislocated hip is like. Shoulder's bad enough (ties with shattered heal for #1 OH SHIT THIS HURTS!) but a hip? Oh ouch, ouch, ouch.
    Yeah I didnt even know I had broken my collarbone until I was being helped up off the ground and into a truck by a guy lifting under my armpit and the pain in my shoulder caught up to my hip pain temporarily. Definitely not fun.

I was able to re-position my radiator in the buggy and get a much better fan on it but it still seems to be overheating. So I will likely need to pull the trigger on a bigger radiator.

When I got my 930 cv's and boots installed it didnt come with any zip ties for the axle end if the boot (only the cv end). I put a zip tie on it anyways, but I'm wondering now if I shouldn't have as when it heats up the boots pressurize and balloon up and I dont want the boot popping off the cv flange side and getting dirt in. Do any of you reccomend not having a zip tie on the axle end of the CV boot?

8. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member darwinpayne2000's Avatar
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    All of the CV axles I've dealt with have had clamps or zip ties on both ends, but I haven't worked with a ton of CV axles. Leave the zip ties off for now and see how it works out. If the boot stays tight and doesn't allow dirt to get in, then you're golden.

9. Collapse Details
    I thought the chain was slapping my drive shaft on my gearbox with the larger tooth count sprockets I have, but that wasnt the case. Apparently the short chain was overheating and skipping teeth as it stretched. It was partially due to the poor chain lube I had, and that I had no automatic tensioner. So I bought some better chain lube and built a chain tensioner to help keep things tight and working smoothly. This is what I came up with. I am concerned with the longevity of the chain roller though...
    I would guess the angle of the arm could be increased some and that would probably decrease the load on it from the individual chain links and therefore allow it to last longer. (V2.0 upgrade if needed)

10. Collapse Details
    Sadly I think that chain is going to be an ongoing pain in your ass.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast