Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Desert Panther based (loosely) 2 seater
    I spent the next day of work on the buggy mounting the rear brake calipers. I knew where they were going to go but I always struggle with how to center the caliper on the rotor for welding on mounting brackets.
    When I did the front brake calipers I bled the brakes and had someone stand on the pedal when I welded the brake mounts to the spindles and that worked ok, but wasnt perfect.
    This time, I tried something else. I measured the opening between the pads, then the thickness of the rotor, and made a couple spacers to fill the rest of the gap. I used them to wedge the caliper on the rotor so I could weld on the mounts and keep it all centered.
    I'm not convinced either method is best.

I also welded on a few tabs and nuts to start cleaning things up and tie down cables and brake lines so they dont rattle or get into other moving parts. It's somewhat surreal to be thinking about little things like that already (even though there is still a lot to do).

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

2. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member darwinpayne2000's Avatar
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    You're making good progress. If there's a "right" way for mounting brake calipers, I don't think I've found it either.

3. Collapse Details
    I have spent the last 3 days fully (95%) welding everything on the buggy trying to get it ready to move under it's own power. I decided to rotate the buggy to each side and weld with minimal disassembly so I only have to remove everything once for painting.
    There has been a lot of little things that have come up along the way like the welding causing rear brake caliper mounts to warp and I had to bend back into place with a bottle jack so the rotor doesn't rub on the caliper.
    I added some guides for my shift linkage to minimize the unsupported length and to prevent bending.
    I painted a few of the parts in the drivetrain to prevent having to disassemble them later to paint.
    I also added 2 more bolts to secure my steering rack and a second mounting point to prevent it from moving once we start driving.

4. Collapse Details
    Today I got enough time to tackle the cv joint and axle shaft installation on the buggy. I wasn't sure of the best way to pack grease in the 930 cv joints, so I tried to squeeze the grease into the joint similar to a caulking gun as I've always had issues with grease guns.

I packed the cv cups with grease as well but I have my doubts that a zip tie will hold these boots on as they sure dont with any cv I've installed on every other car I've worked on. I got both of the shafts installed but had to use a spacer on the inner cv to give enough clearance for proper CV plunge without contact.

The clearance between the cv boot flange and the brake caliper mount on one side is a bit close and I may have to grind a little more clearance in it for peace of mind against chassis flex.

5. Collapse Details
    Run it without spring/shock through it travel and measure what you have.

You can tune these things easily.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah I'll have to give it a try. It would be good to know how much travel I have possible. My shocks are way limiting the total though.
    I did just pick up a new to me bike so I can go riding with my son again. Hopefully it doesnt absorb as much of my time as the buggy so i can finish it. It's a 98 Suzuki RM250. It had a lot of aftermarket goodies on it already so I'm hoping it's going to be a decent ride and keep up with my XR600 and this buggy.

7. Collapse Details
    I got it put back together today after replacing the seat cover, fluids, rebuilding the rear master cylinder, new air filter, and cleaning dirt and bugs (yes that's right) out of the carb. Previous owner only had it for a few months but didnt know anything about bikes and said it was too much to handle. Was a lot of fun. I didnt pull the head and cylinder yet. Plan to do it when It gets a bit colder, but compression was good (~155 psi).
    Looks a lot better but need to clean up the plastics a little and maybe get some graphics.

8. Collapse Details
    Wooo-hooo! That was quite a test ride today Desert Panther based (loosely) 2 seater
    I was able to quickly build a mount for the voltage regulator, bleed the brake lines, and mount some small pieces of particle board to the floor with u-bolts so we didnt flintstone it.
    I took my better half out first while the kids just looked on with envy. Nobody helped (substantially) me build it, so I got to choose my passengers as I saw fit.
    The radiator and fan are quite insufficient for even just ripping around my property so I'm told better cooling for the buggy is first on the list of to-dos.
    Still a lot to get done on it before its finished but it's quite rewarding to drift it around the property for the first time after so long working on it.

I did notice my #50 chain stretches and after each overheating/cooling session today I had to tighten the chain a little. I know a 530 is the same size chain, but I'll have to check and see if its stronger and maybe buy one. The set screws for the keys on my sprockets kept coming loose even with loctite, but it was harbor freight brand so I may have to switch to the real deal.
    It seems everyone here reccomends a civic radiator for buggys even running a busa motor, but is it really big enough? My motor is just a GSXR750 but I'm tempted to get a jeep Cherokee radiator because its bigger and I'm familiar with them. Any thoughts?
    Was a pretty good day out with the toys, but my bum shoulder is now aching and I may have to go get it looked at...

9. Collapse Details
    That's awesome!!!!

I always say bigger is better with cooling. Bigger is better than overheating.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder btw.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

10. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member darwinpayne2000's Avatar
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    Regarding your motorcycle:

It's a two-stroke with 150+ psi. That spells fun . . . and danger!

Yeah, it's a blast when you get your buggy running for the first time!!! Congratulations.

From a minibuggy perspective, there isn't a set screw on planet earth that will keep the sprocket from moving around. Ask me how I know that. You can add locking collars on each side of the sprocket to keep it centered. I use the collars that are more like a clamp (two bolts), instead of the collars that use a set screw. When I'm serious about it, I always use tubing and spacers around the jackshaft to pin the sprocket between the bearings and keep it exactly where I want it. Two longer pieces of tubing on each end, then some spacers next to the sprocket so you can fine-tune the alignment with the rear sprocket.

I used #50 chains on my buggy and switched over to #530 o-ring chains. Mucho dinero for the chains, (I'm running dual chains) but it comes down to tensile strength. The #50 industrial chains only have a modest amount of tensile strength. As you discovered, they tend to stretch out fairly quickly. I haven't had that issue with the beefier o-ring chains. An o-ring chain will also run cooler and, therefore, stretch less.

Having said that, however, I started with the #50 chains because I wanted to make sure I had the placement/length of the drive train correct before I shortened an expensive o-ring chain (and said "Oops!").

My brother-in-law has a two-seater buggy with a motorcycle engine and a Honda Civic radiator and it's not cutting it. The buggy runs hot and threatens to boil over if he pushes it hard on warm days. He's looking at a high-capacity Honda radiator ($$$) because he doesn't want to squeeze in a bigger radiator. If you're still in the buggy building phase, you might want to measure that Jeep radiator for fitment in your buggy or consider a higher capacity Honda unit.

P.S. I like your property!!!!

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast