Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Re-engine Buggy with a (modified) Predator 670
    what Dunes are these?

2. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    This is Little Sahara Recreation Area in Utah. The whole area is 60,000 acres, with about half of that area covered with sand dunes. Plenty of dunes and trails to explore.

3. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    I was back at the sand dunes last week and, so far, the buggy and the engine have been holding up well and the performance has been outstanding!!

At this point, I'm going to follow JimmyG's advice and spend some time riding the beast instead of constantly tinkering with it. However, I'll never really be done with it. This coming winter, during my downtime, I'm looking at:

Upgraded lighting coils

The stator coils put out an anemic 7 amps. This is a combination of having half as many magnets as a Honda GX engine and having half the windings on the coils. I can pick up some Honda coils for about $30 and that would give me an output closer to 14 amps. Plenty of power if you're just running some LED lights. The add-on alternator kit is expensive and offers more amps than I would ever use.

Dual Carburetors

This is one of those "why break it when it's running so good" projects, but I'm curious how the engine would respond to a dual-carb setup. According to Performance 670, the dual carbs offer better throttle response. "Who doesn't want better throttle response?", I ask. So, why not take a perfectly running engine and screw it up for the sake of a slightly better throttle response.

Some of the other changes will be cosmetic. The paint job is showing its age. Rust is showing up in more places. Just surface rust, but I would still like to freshen up the look of the buggy. I've always wanted to paint it John Deere green and yellow. Just because.

So, tune back in this winter, when I have more time and money and less common sense and let's see what happens.

4. Collapse Details
    Love it!
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

5. Collapse Details
    Sounds great! I’m jealous of the dunes being close. They’re nearly 5 hours away here. We drove through a portion of Utah a few months ago on the way to Arizona, pretty country. I’d consider the syncing of multiple carbs to not be worth it vs going with a larger bore pumper carb or a CV carb; that is, if they are finicky at all. You could have the best of both worlds with say, a bigger bore pumper CV; more flow and faster response?

My step father in law who recently passed away left his son a pristine John Deere row crop tractor. Fabulous green and yellow combo.
    Dune 500
    YXZ1000R
    Desert kart "Panther" build

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20