Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Re-engine Buggy with a (modified) Predator 670
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    Just a quick update. July in Utah is watersports weather, but I'm not into watersports and neither is my buggy, so . . . lots of downtime.

We did go camping up near Skyline Drive in Utah. It is a trail/road that is aptly named. Most of the road is between 8000-9000 feet in elevation and there are plenty of drop-offs that give you a spectacular view of the valleys (and the eebie jeebies when you look over the precipice along the road). I brought the buggy along to compare it to our trip last September when we camped over the Labor Day weekend. I have a new carburetor, new cam and new exhaust, so it should be a little more fun to ride compared to last time.

Most of the trails are between 7,000-8,000 feet so I bumped the main jet up to a #360 to see how it would perform. No need to go much bigger since the air is relatively thin and it would have a tendency to run rich anyways. I ran up and down the trails for about an hour, then pulled the plug to get a reading. It looked on the lean side, but just barely.

The final ride was following a trail up to Skyline Drive. When I made this trip last time, with the stock carburetor, it got a little burbly as I got up higher. I had to keep revving it to keep the engine from bogging down. With the carburetor on the lean side, it seemed to run better and had a lot more torque and more punch running up the trail. I barely had to step on the gas to make it climb. It really felt like it wanted to climb on its own.

To finish up this project, I've asked the tooth fairy to bring me $160 to get the Wideband O2 sensor and gauge so I can accurately dial in the carburetor, but I haven't seen the money yet. I checked under my pillow again this morning. Nothing. In the meantime, I'm saving up my allowance and my aluminum can money. $30 down and only $130 to go.

I guess there's no hurry. It's 100 degrees outside these days (that's 37.7778 degrees Celsius for you Australians ) and I would like it to be in the 70-80 degree range when I'm working on the carburetor. All joking aside, I should have the cash by the end of the month and I can get the bung welded in and be ready to tear up the sand again when temperatures return to something close to reasonable.
    Last edited by darwinpayne2000; 08-03-2020 at 10:42 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    More happy to hear your been having some seat time in it. Sounds like you had fun. As for the O2 sensor all good things come to those who want it so bad they make it happen.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

3. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Good to hear things are better!

So have TALON and I started an imperial/metric temperature reporting?
    When he was here and we traveled across I-10 (sucks!) we came to realize that distance and speed are easy enough to convert but temp darned near requires just memorizing. We actually each had a snap shot of a conversation chart on our phones.
    Oh, metric pressure (kilopascals) make no sense to anyone. PSI is the choice.

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah, a liter is about a quart, a meter is about a yard and a kilogram is a little over 2 pounds. If you're going 100 kph, then you know that's basically 60 miles per hour, which is easy to understand. But Fahrenheit vs Celsius? All I know is that 20 C is comfortable and 35 C is hot. Fahrenheit is, in my opinion, a better system. 0 F is bitter cold and 100 F is sweltering hot. Anything below or above that range is way too uncomfortable. It's an easy scale to understand. Also, saying that "it was over 100!!" is more impressive than saying "it was over 35!!".

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I ordered the o2 sensor/gauge combo from Amazon. I went with the "Best Seller" model since I'm a novice at this. Users love the gauge but hate the customer service. What else is new. Customer service has mostly gone to . . . India these days.

5. Collapse Details
    You hit the nail on the head. Fahrenheit is a scale based around humans, so it makes sense that it goes from 0-100. Celsius is based on water, which is very convenient for a lot of calculations but not so much for how hot it feels to us.

6. Collapse Details
    I guess it's what you learn/grow up with.

Celsius makes sense. Water freezes at 0, boils at 100. That metric stuff, all based on "10" really is easy to work with.
    Fahrenheit - the dude made a thermometer that had a scale on it. Froze it, it ended up being at 32. Boiled it, ended up at 212. No real scientific basis behind it.
    It's definitely a more precise (non-decimal) measurement for what we feel around us, though.

Off note.... We're going to break the all time record of number of days above 110F (43.3C) in a year today here Phoenix. I believe it's 31 (not all in a row, thank goodness!)

7. Collapse Details
    It may be 110 degrees in Arizona, but it feels like Christmas here in Utah! The O2 Sensor/Gauge package arrived yesterday afternoon.

As I stated above, I ordered the "Amazon Best Seller" model. According to the user reviews, people love the gauge and it works great out-of-the-box or it arrives DOA and customer service runs you around in circles to get it replaced. I'm hoping for the former.

The pictures tell the story. The gauge itself is smaller and lighter than I expected. It comes with two cables. One cable runs from the O2 sensor to the gauge. The second cable plugs into the back of the gauge and . . . into everything else. I was a little concerned because it had 7 bare wires to connect to a bunch of stuff that I don't have, but the majority of the wires are for the optional AEMnet device for logging output data. We're not going that route, so the only wires I need to connect are Red (positive) and Black (negative). I can ignore the rest. Whew!!

I'm excited to get it running, but it will be next week before I can get the bung welded in and get the gauge set up. I'm traveling most of this week. I'll keep you posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Collapse Details
    AEM makes some decent stuff. I think you'll be happy with it.

What? No data logging? No tracking of what it's done? No info overload??? (:

9. Collapse Details
    Well done bud. Can't wait to see it in action.

Ps don't weld the bung to close to the end of the pipe as it can create false readings. So a few inches after both pipes merge but as far in as able.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

10. Collapse Details
    Nothing too exciting yet. I got the wideband O2 sensor and gauge mounted in my buggy. I fired up the engine and tested it at idle.

After the engine warmed up, the AFR gauge was reading around 10-12. According to one of the websites I was reading, the recommended value is 14 at idle, so it's still running rich. I turned the air screw out, but I'm already close to two turns. It didn't change much, but it did settle down around 12. As soon as I get a chance, I'm swapping out the idle jet for a smaller one.

It will be this weekend before I can load up the buggy and take it out on some trails. I want to get a good reading at various speeds and get the carburetor dialed-in. "Out of an abundance of caution" (the trendy phrase these days), I'm adding an extension to the exhaust to ensure that I'm not getting false readings on the O2 sensor. Not a lot of (stock) tailpipe to play with on this buggy. You can (kinda) see the add-on pipe in the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by darwinpayne2000; 08-25-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast