Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Redline Revolt rebuild / modify
    K-fab.....So you are from the Cincy area! Were you a "Skyline" fan ? WOW, it must be nice to get toys plated so easily. As i'm sure you know OH can be a bit of a PITA when it comes to that.

Bullnerd...Thanks for the pics. I noticed what looked like a drag link running from the back of the frame forward, toward the engine. does it go to the engine to serve as a movement 'limiter" ? I have seen similar set ups on the CVT side to limit movement.

Bdkw...You were spot on with your estimates ! I didn't shoot for as much camber as you mentioned, but it worked out to 1" lower and 1 1/2" out. Do you do work on the side for people? not a big fan of the steering on the revolt.

2. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    K-fab.....So you are from the Cincy area!
    Those are FIGHTING words. I am NOT from there - just spent exactly 25 years to the day stuck there. I was born in Puerto Rico and grew up in the very southern tip of Texas - I is a Texan!
    Were you a "Skyline" fan?
    Yup! Much better than Gold Star. And speaking of local eateries - White Castle, now that's disgusting! Buddy of mine used to bring a sack of a dozen over to my shop just to make us all gag with the smell. LOL
    WOW, it must be nice to get toys plated so easily. As i'm sure you know OH can be a bit of a PITA when it comes to that.
    Oh man how I love it. I've hopped on the KTM a couple times the past week and ridden to my riding area instead of taking the van and having to unload/load. The ride there's a bit butt tiring, though. - gee such a thing to complain about....

Bullnerd...Thanks for the pics. I noticed what looked like a drag link running from the back of the frame forward, toward the engine. does it go to the engine to serve as a movement 'limiter" ? I have seen similar set ups on the CVT side to limit movement.
    The car he's showing you is a Briggs Gen IV stadium car. It's a five link: Two come from the front, by the seat and head back to the rear carrier and then there's the pair in the back like on an RZR's setup and the fifth is a single lower link that parallels the rear lower - it keeps the carrier from toe changes. Search out my name on thread starters and Briggs and you'll see a ton of pix.

Bdkw...You were spot on with your estimates ! I didn't shoot for as much camber as you mentioned, but it worked out to 1" lower and 1 1/2" out. Do you do work on the side for people?
    This is why we call him the Wizard.
    not a big fan of the steering on the revolt.
    LOL! So you have driven it!
    It's horrid. I'd be figuring out how to put power steering in that thing. Search around (flyerrider's Ragnar build) should have all the info on a power steering unit and installation and/or there may be a sticky about it. - I'll be needing to find it when I'm ready to start wiring my setup (which was in the Ragnar).

3. Collapse Details
    I will be doing a lot more sidework in the future. Things are changing around here.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    I will be doing a lot more sidework in the future. Things are changing around here.
    Please let me know when you are ready to do the side work.
    Last edited by Frank; 05-21-2019 at 11:38 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    [QUOTE=K-fab;331324] White Castle, now that's disgusting!

RE: White Castle... Yes, I never acquired that taste either.

6. Collapse Details
    Exhaust Modification
    The original muffler position was one of the "things" about the Revolt OEM design that I had mixed feelings on (see pic with arrow). I liked the fact that it was tucked away inside the frame, somewhat protected, but NOT a fan of how close it was to the bottom of the radiator. So after two unsuccessful attempts to make the OEM muffler position work with the turbo conversion, I got some muffler pieces (90's & reducers) from the auto parts store and had some 3/16" flanges water jet cut. After figuring it out with steel, I went and had a stainless steel one made. So far it has worked out. Nothing has cracked, flow has improved and it is actually pretty quiet . Never been a fan of LOUD.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frank; 08-25-2019 at 01:29 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Intercooler was next.

When I got the buggy the intercooler was mounted on the side (see pic). There is not a lot of room in the engine compartment of these things so it's easy to see why it was put there. When upgrading the rear shocks, the location became an issue.

Being a data driven person (paralysis by analysis at times), I picked up an air temp gauge and figured out a way to document three (3) different mounting positions with minimal piping changes.

• Position #1 was side mount
    • Position #2 was mounted 1" away from and in front of the radiator
    • Position #3 I pushed the bottom forward 3" away from radiator

The results were pretty much as anticipated.

• Position #1 with fan running performed best when there was a lot of "stop and go" driving. (No alternator so kind of an issue)
    • Position #2 Heat soak from radiator made this position the least desirable for my driving conditions.
    • Position #3 was what I found worked best for me and data showed it cooled the air an additional 10* F compared to the other two positions when "rolling"

Hope this helps someone out there considering the best place and position to mount there intercooler.
    Last edited by Frank; 09-04-2019 at 12:59 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Intake Plenum & Runners swap...

When I first got the buggy it had a single 46 mm throttle body attached to an aluminum plenum (this is used on the jet ski's). "Research" aka talking to some other Redline owner / buggy enthusiast, I learned that the redline OEM uses dual 45 mm throttle bodies and larger runners. I swapped out the TB's & Runners and got a more streamline plenum made. Note...actual air increase did not double, but I did have to make adjustment to my fuel map.

9. Collapse Details
    Coilovers for the Rear end...

I finally got the Rear Coil over's with reservoirs mounted (12"travel). After talking to a couple guys who had elka's on there Revolt's it appeared I needed 14" (150#) and 12" (100#)springs. Turns out, that configuration, with 1/2" thread remaining at the top of the shock put me at a 25% sag. I did some math and ordered 10" (100#) springs and leaving the same 1/2" thread at the top of the shock I now have 45% sag. which is closer to where I want to be.

After taking some baseline readings I discovered that the shorter top spring allowed the springs to separate when at full droop. So now I've ordered Helper springs to keep pressure on the springs when at full droop.

A couple questions hoping someone might be able to answer...
    1) Is 1/2" of thread at the top of the shock body OK? or should there be more?
    2) I have the reservoirs mounted with the hose from the shock going into the top so it's easier to get to Schroeder valve. is there any GREAT benefit to having the oil enter the reservoir from the bottom versus the top?

My thought is...there is a solid disc separating the gas and oil so direction of push is a non issue. don't know if that is that is correct.

Frank

10. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    A couple questions hoping someone might be able to answer...
    1) Is 1/2" of thread at the top of the shock body OK? or should there be more?
    2) I have the reservoirs mounted with the hose from the shock going into the top so it's easier to get to Schroeder valve. is there any GREAT benefit to having the oil enter the reservoir from the bottom versus the top?
    1) No problems at all. Doesn't matter where/how much is showing as long as you don't have coil bind at full compression (you'll not) and can get the ride height you're looking for with preload.
    2) Doesn't matter one bit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast