Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Design Phases 3D model of frame
    OK everyone, I'm going to take a new approach to designing this thing. I'm going to leave it up to you, or solicit your input and design what you want. Specifically, I'll let you give the specifications. Maybe you want me to use a specific engine, or wheel, or hubs, or shocks.

So what do you guys think? Start throwing things at me. Maybe we start with the wheels? Hubs off a RZR, Old pickup, custom made?

2. Collapse Details
    Iv'e got some custom made hubs from Heim Machine. They are a 4 on 156 bolt pattern. (RZR) The reason I went that route is the availability of wheels. The SXS aftermarket support is huge. As for the rear, you can use the RZR stuff, but the 930 cv's and axles are way stronger. My rear bearing is that from a Dodge Intrepid, f-150 cv joint for a non plunging set up. You are limited to bump, so the taller the tire you can run the more up travel you can get. I am maxing out the CV angle at 40* with 5" of chassis clearance at full bump on 30" paddles. That is getting me 20" of usable travel and I am 80" wide. 77" if I take off the wheel adapters, even less if I run a narrower rear wheel and dirt tires.

I totally get gathering all of the information before you build. Saves a lot of headache in the long run.

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

3. Collapse Details
    Deranged,
    I was thinking the same thing, going with RZR wheels, disc brakes and calipers. My degree is in Design Drafting and I'm proficient in AutoCAD, and my masters is in Industrial Engineering. So far the hardest part has been finding components in 3D or CAD.

Do you know the wheel offset of the RZR wheels? What diameter do RZR rims run? What size tires would I plan on? I know, I know, it all depends on what I'm going to use my buggy for. But remember, this is ya'lls build now. Whatever y'all want I'll do that.

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    I have cad files of the XP1000 calipers and brakes.
    also have 15x8 Method beadlock for the RZR.
    shooth me an e-mail and I’ll send what I got.

5. Collapse Details
    PM sent. I can't wait!

6. Collapse Details
    I’ll get those to you.
    just saw this.

7. Collapse Details
    Update, I took the 15" wheels complete with the calipers, discs, bearings, and knuckles that K-fab so graciously provided and incorporated them into my Model. I decided to go with 32" tires so I drew those up last night. I was originally planing on 35" tires at something like 8" wide but I want to stay closer to the SXS proportions. I was worried that the thing would look puny with the smaller tires but it actually doesn't look all that bad.

I spent hours looking for a human in AutoCAD that I could position around to get a better feel for my proportions. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything so if anyone has a good cad file of a person they can spare PM me. To make do for now, I measured myself, height, witch, hip location, knee height, shoulder width etc and made a little stick figure of myself. I'm 6'4" so when I end up putting myself in my latest model I find out that I don't have much room for head clearance. That really sucks because I want this thing to as mean as I much as I want it to function. Let the compromises begin. What if I lye down more in the buggy? Or something else? Advise anyone???

I'll post screen shots later on.

Thanks again for the files K-Fab!
    HARD WORK PAY$

8. Collapse Details
    pics as promised. As you can see, I have a head clearance issue. I would LOVE to keep the height of the cage the way it is but I know being as tall as I am I'm going to have to make modifications. Cheaper here now than in the shop later. I asked the question before and I'll ask it again, do you think I could lay down any and possibly save some head room? What kind of posture do you normally want in a buggy? And before you go and hit that reply button, Yes I know it's all about preference. But what has worked for the rest of ya'll? I know the Can Ams are more reclined than the RZRs.

Also, what about a seat? I think that's going to be next for me to really commit to this frame design. Anyone got a good CAD model of a good seat? I want to stay under the $500 for a set price range.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HARD WORK PAY$

9. Collapse Details
    Hey, you should have an emailbox full of axle info.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 67StingrayJ View Post
    pics as promised. As you can see, I have a head clearance issue. I would LOVE to keep the height of the cage the way it is but I know being as tall as I am I'm going to have to make modifications. Cheaper here now than in the shop later. I asked the question before and I'll ask it again, do you think I could lay down any and possibly save some head room? What kind of posture do you normally want in a buggy? And before you go and hit that reply button, Yes I know it's all about preference. But what has worked for the rest of ya'll? I know the Can Ams are more reclined than the RZRs.

Also, what about a seat? I think that's going to be next for me to really commit to this frame design. Anyone got a good CAD model of a good seat? I want to stay under the $500 for a set price range.
    Good upright posture is less tiresome over a hard ride. Better out of car visibility.
    Give your self a ton of head room.
    If you're going to ride the dunes, seeing out of the car is a big unforeseen problem with low cages.
    In fact short cages at st Anthony just flat suck the fun out of a ride for me.

Think of it the way a spot lightbar and a flood lightbar behave with a short cage you're out of Car visibility is squished down to the spot beam when you have a tall cage you can see out of the car and everything around you. I know they're not as pretty to look at but tall cages are far better in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast