Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Honda FL 440 Build
    I cut out the old jackshaft mounts and went with 1/8" boxed steel mounts. As pointed out above, the old mounts were too thin and not braced correctly. The tube also crumpled in where the engine had bent up the mounts, so I welded 1/8" flat plate along the tube where the jackshaft mounts meet the frame.

I added in a removable brace on the clutch side so that I can pull my primary clutch without pulling the motor.

The extra mounts and braces seemed to hold up, as I got about 30 minutes of (slow) riding in yesterday while the weather was still nice. Now on to the world of carb, clutch and shock tuning!

2. Collapse Details
    Think that should do it.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

3. Collapse Details
    Quick video from the first night of riding:

A couple issues that need to be addressed:
    -alignment in the front, it was way too unstable at higher speeds
    -more nitrogen in the shocks, I'm not too happy with the ride height and how often I bottomed out the shocks
    -possible anti roll bar in front... I had to let up in some turns for fear of tipping. An ARB in the front might help cornering, or at least been an anti- tip over device

Anyone have an example of an anti roll bar they put on their ride? I don't really know where to start as far as spring rates go for the ARB (diameter/thickness of tube).
    Last edited by K-fab; 11-11-2020 at 01:53 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Some external video will help show what the suspension needs. You don't mention why you're unhappy with ride height, but the tippyness (look at me making up words. You're welcome, Websters!) would only increase with more pressure. That engine runs WAY better then I thought it would with that pipe!
    I race, therefore I am

5. Collapse Details
    Well the engine ran well until it didn't. Broke a ring on Friday, the 13th (should have seen that coming) in both cylinders. Looks like the cylinders walls had some pitting where the ring might have caught.

Before that, I had been driving the buggy a lot more aggressively and throwing it around some corners harder. I ended up changing where my tie rod attaches to the spindle in order to make the tie rod parallel to the lower arm. This eliminated a lot of the toe in I was seeing at full bump.

Speaking of full bump, one of the reasons I was unhappy with the ride height was due to my suspension bottoming out frequently in the rough stuff. Right now as it rides, I have my shocks 2/3 of the way through the stroke. Ideally I would like to ride 50/50 bump/droop so that I am not bottoming out the shocks hard on the rough, whoop-like stuff. I know this will lead to even more roll through the corners but hopefully I can combat that with an ARB.

It looks like I will have plenty of time to investigate anti roll devices while my engine waits for a new top end.

Going forward, my engine will be getting two new .010" over pistons and rings, cylinder bore and hone. Luckily the bottom end did not suffer any damage, and the crank spun within .0015" on the dial indicator. I'm also planning on switching to a gravity fed mikuni VM 34 carb due to the finicky nature of the tillotson and also biting the bullet and finishing the expansion chambers.

6. Collapse Details
    That is not a good start.

7. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    I wonder if the exhaust system you had led to the melt down? There's no back flow/back pulse to cool the piston. May have helped the poof-ka-boom.

Funny you mention Friday the 13th. I was gonna go test the Mini-Raptor on Friday and canned it - ended up working on it and getting a few niggly things attended to.

I AM going out today. I know I keep saying this but...

Yesterday whilst out on a nice desert cruise in the XP with the wife we came across the perfect area to test in (convenient, minimal walking if I break down) that I'd forgotten about. Fast, open area with whoops.
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

8. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    Yeah, both cylinders going kaput is suspicious, but it's good to see that you got it out on the road and got in some riding. Some of these projects never leave the garage.

Question. Are you pre-mixing the gas or is it set up with an oil pump?

9. Collapse Details
    Upper piston heat and ring end gap is my thoughts. Rings expand as they heat up which is normal. However if the ring end gap is used up the ring has no where to go and buckles like train tracks on a hot day. Sadly this comes at the cost of your ring lands which fail being softer/weaker than the steel ring. These bits of ring land bind on the cylinder wall and make the big scuff marks you can see. End result being low comp and oil control.

Ps I was not inside your motor at the time it failed so I could be wrong but both cylinders going and the ring lands is a smoking gun on the grassy knoll in my opinion.

10. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    Upper piston heat and ring end gap is my thoughts. Rings expand as they heat up which is normal. However if the ring end gap is used up the ring has no where to go and buckles like train tracks on a hot day. Sadly this comes at the cost of your ring lands which fail being softer/weaker than the steel ring. These bits of ring land bind on the cylinder wall and make the big scuff marks you can see. End result being low comp and oil control.

Ps I was not inside your motor at the time it failed so I could be wrong but both cylinders going and the ring lands is a smoking gun on the grassy knoll in my opinion.

Trick is figuring out what caused the heat. Lack of oil in the premix? Lack of fuel? Lack of airflow from the fan? Does it have a vacuum driven fuel pump? Or if it's gravity fed, does it have the right float valve for gravity feed? Someone else mentioned the exhaust possibly being the problem?

The strange thing to me was where each piston failed. Normally you would see it fail right at the exhaust port.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast