Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Willy's Flat fender Buggy Build
    All right guys. Since a few of you said you would be interested in my build, I’m posting it. This is a old Jeep Willy's Flat Fender. It's about a 51 M38 Jeep body, which is almost the same as a CJ3A, on a 74 CJ5 Frame. The engine is a Toyota 4.0L V8 all aluminum 1UZFE. It’s going to begin its life a 2 wheel drive with independent suspension all around. I might go to a 4WD sometime later on. I will try to keep on the pics and descriptions as I go along. And as usual some of the technical help you guys offer is always appreciated. The small pic attached is a concept of what I'm shooting for. (EDIT): Photobucket took a crap, so most of the pictures I posted are now fuzzy. I have since created a new account with Imgur.com and seems like they are better.
    concept CJ2A rail-Model1.jpg
    Last edited by sosasser; 09-17-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    All you got to do is remember 2 thing, Mentum and Mo-Mentum.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Willy's Flat fender Buggy Build
    I'm a little rusty on sharing pictures. Here's some stuff to start looking at.

This is the whole sub frame out of a 97 BMW 528i with 4.10:1 gear ratio. I made a deal with the guys at Pick N Pull because their pricing was not very specific. I think I paid about $350 for the whole thing. The CV joints are similar to a Porsche 944 on the inboard side and have good angle and plunge. The outboard side is a non plunging cv. I'm hoping that I can get 12" of travel out of it.
    Last edited by sosasser; 12-30-2018 at 12:39 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Ah, these are just fun to think about. For the twin turbo idea, I think the exhaust have to be turned around and point forward. So its kind of fun to think maybe they will end up about where the head lights go in the grill.

In this picture, the air conditioning pump is in the way so I cant fit the manifold on.

I'll have to think about this more. Not sure if these manifolds are ideal to be turned this way. That stuff is pretty far down the road anyway.

4. Collapse Details
    This would be the main reason why I'm opting to go with indipendent rear suspension. With that long ass automatic transmission there's not enough room for a drive shaft.

Looking a whole lot better with the BMW rear diff. It's out of a 97 528i and is a 4.10 gear ratio. I think the stock gearing for the Lexus cars that had these engines was around 3.6:1

5. Collapse Details
    I've been collecting some parts right along. I got a good deal on the sand tires. They are 30" Pro Armor tires and I fell in love with the Method 401 Wheels. The tires I got a couple months ago from 4WheelParts when they had a great sale going on. I got front and rear set for $495 and the sales tax was also paid. The Method wheels I've had my eye on for a while and again 4WheelParts had a black friday sale and I got the set of 4 for $666.52.
    Last edited by sosasser; 12-30-2018 at 12:49 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Cool build. Think this is going to be a lot like the dirt n gravel drag rail jeeps that run over here in the northeast.

7. Collapse Details
    Have you got front fenders for it?

Turbos are bitchen!

That rear end is going to hate life with turbos and paddles.

8. Collapse Details
    Yes, I got the frame, body, fenders, hood, and grill all for $340 plus a ride in my other single seater minibuggy. And the guy showed up out at Sand Mountain and collected on the debt. I was nervous until he rolled 3 quads out of his trailer, all with street bike engines.

Not sure how much HP a BMW 5 series rear end can handle. I thought I saw something somewhere that said around 500. I don't think I'm going to get to that number.

9. Collapse Details
    Score! Those fenders are priced like gold around here. I have been trying to find a reasonably priced set for the Samurai. The repro's for like 300 a piece are the cheapest I have found locally.

10. Collapse Details
    Made a little progress this weekend. Waiting for some brackets to be done by the local water jet company so I can permanently mount the rear end. Meanwhile I was messing around with the cv axle and discovered that both the inner and outer cv's are plunging cv's, and the axle will move in and out about 2". That being the case, I am thinking about building a trailing arm suspension. What are your thought?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast