Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Yamaha Bi-Zinger; Imagining what Yamaha could have built
    Hey MBN!

I havenít posted in quite some time, but Iíve been following along regularly. My wife and I bought our first house in December and were expecting our first kid, baby boy is due in 2 days. Itís been a busy 8 months getting the house honey-must-do list done, while also getting my shop into workable mode, while also working on some projects, while also trying to get some time on the jet skis this summer.

Weíre happy with the point where the house is at now, but will always have more to do. Iím happy with where the shop is at now, but again never done. Iím pretty full up on toys right now, trying to flip some to get some space back and free up cash for the next.

BUT, the reason youíre here - Iíve started another build! Sorry, no, it isnít buggy related . This time Iím building a mini-bike that will be something like what Yamaha could have built from the parts bin in the 80s...
    Polaris RAGER 570/1000 S Hybrid
    • Engine - 2016 RZR 1k XP
    • Transmission - RZR 1k XP
    • Chassis - 2012 RZR 570
    • Suspension -
      • Front: RZR 800S A-arms/Ranger 900 XP hubs
      • Rear: Ranger 900 XP A-arm/hubs

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/utv-a...ld-hybrid.html

"The grass isn't always greener, but the sun's always shining on the other side of the clouds."

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Yamaha Bi-Zinger; Imagining what Yamaha could have built
    A little history, in the 80s Yamaha launched a family of small cc (50/60cc), 2 stroke, shaft drive kids models + a scooter all using the same basic drivetrain. It used a 50 or 60cc horizontal engine, wet centrifugal clutch engine. The output shaft out back drove either a single rear wheel or a straight axle. These models were known as -

The Y-Zinger: dirt bike (now known as the PW50)

The Tri-Zinger: 3 wheeler

The 4-Zinger: 4 wheeler

And the QT50/Yamahopper: scooter

When I was a kid, I was fortunate enough to have one of each of the dirt versions (never really had the cool gear). Dad got them for cheap or as a pile of parts in a cardboard box and rebuilt from there. Well, 25ish years later, they still had all 3. The Tri- came apart many moons ago and sat unseen behind a pile of junk for many years. When I was home this spring helping Dad clean the shed a bit I decided to take it back home to get running again; ya know, for Jr....

Here it is right after I got it home:

With some elbow grease, a little figuriní, and some parts orders from Yamaha (thanks Yamaha for still servicing a lot of parts for stupid old stuff like this!), it is now back to running hot laps around the back yard . Iíll try to share some video at some point.

In the process of rebuilding it I was day dreaming about what could have been built out of the parts bins at Yamaha based on this small cc shaft drive 2 stroke family.. I figured it would be cool to build a super fat tired Y-Zinger/PW/BW60. It would use the frame from the Tri-, but with the rear shaft drive unit from the Y-, with some custom bits. I laid some parts in place when I had my Tri- apart and it all seemed like it was possible-ish.

• Chassis - 2012 RZR 570
    • Suspension -

"The grass isn't always greener, but the sun's always shining on the other side of the clouds."

3. Collapse Details
    At this point I knew enough that I wasn’t going to butcher my original Tri- for this project so I had to find a donor. These things are definitely not common anymore so it took some patience, but eventually a parts Tri- showed up on FB like 70 miles from here so I made a deal and went to pick it up.

It-was-trashed. This thing was beat. Some of the parts were missing, but even the ones that were there are in very rough shape. Forks bent, rear axle junk, all cables are junk, body junk, and it’s got the wrong engine.. It’s ok, I’ll get what I paid for it back in selling a few of the parts but I’ll more than likely need to come up with a donor bike when the fab is done and it comes time to try to make this thing run.

What has been done so far:
    - Pick up Tri-, disassemble at guys house to fit in trunk of car
    - Unload at home, disassemble more down to bare frame/fork
    - Pressure wash everything first pass to remove grime so it is clean enough to work with
    - Set parts in pile, stare at pile
    - Stare more
    - Look up parts on fiche and eBay for ideas
    - Stare more
    - Cut off subframe lower supports to make room for the shaft drive unit and wide rear tire to fit
    - Stare more

This brings us to current state. I’ll have to do some custom work on the rear shaft unit to adapt to the big wheel, make an integrated brake drum, plus a way to support the axle on the other side of the wheel.

Don’t expect this to be a quick build. It’ll be off the rails before we even get started once JR is born... I plan to poke at it on the side and hopefully do some designing over lunches at work. Don’t hesitate to chime in, I know it’s not buggy related but there isn’t any forum I’d rather share the build with than MBN!
    • Chassis - 2012 RZR 570
    • Suspension -

4. Collapse Details
    Neat, mini sand missile!

5. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    I’ve seen an ATV wheeled CR500 and a 250R with a bike rear end out at the dunes. They both looked like fun.

6. Collapse Details
    Good to see you MH!

Congrats on the kid, the house....and the SHOP!

I remember the zingers when I was a kid.....but I wanted the Honda Mr50!
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    Iíve seen an ATV wheeled CR500 and a 250R with a bike rear end out at the dunes. They both looked like fun.
    This thing will certainly not be on the same level as those rockets, but I hope it will be fun!
    • Chassis - 2012 RZR 570
    • Suspension -

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    Good to see you MH!

Congrats on the kid, the house....and the SHOP!

I remember the zingers when I was a kid.....but I wanted the Honda Mr50!
    Thanks Bull! No news yet on the kid, more waiting!

I never knew anyone that had an MR50, but we did have a Z50, TRX70, CT70, MB5, and SL70. All at different times, my dad always enjoyed tinkering and flipping toys. Only have the Z and the TRX anymore..
    • Chassis - 2012 RZR 570
    • Suspension -

9. Collapse Details
    Yamaha Bi-Zinger; Imagining what Yamaha could have built
    As I was daydreaming about the Bi-Zinger at work today I had a revelation!

The Y- and QT both have rear suspension, the Tri- and 4- do not. The engine and rear shaft unit all pivot together (like a buggy w/ engine mounted on the swingarm). Difference being - Iím pretty sure the upper engine mount is actually the front Ďswingarmí pivot.

Next time Iím out in the shop Iíll take a look at tying the unit together and pivoting the whole shebang, then weíd have rear suspension which would be pretty neat!

As another source of inspiration I asked my dad to bring the Y- down from their place when they come to meet JR (next week probably). There are some other parts/setups that I want to reference and maybe see if they make more sense to use (oil injection bottle, exhaust system, air box, wheel centers, etc).

Iíve got access to some MTB rear shocks that might work out?
    Last edited by mech_head6; 07-28-2018 at 09:11 PM.
    • Chassis - 2012 RZR 570
    • Suspension -

10. Collapse Details
    Some of my best memories, renting a tri zinger or a 4 at Salisbury beach. They had a little motocross track and just let you loose..lol That would never fly today.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast