Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: minitruggy jr1 trophy kart
    Snuck home early and put ten more braces in. six more to go. sipping a little wine and making the vroom vroom sounds celebrating valentines day with the wife

2. Collapse Details
    Lots of tube in these things. Chassis is all tacked together ready to be welded. The rear bumper hoop I shortened up to keep the overall length to 8'.

I ordered all the rod ends I need for suspension, not going to use uni-balls . 5/8"x 1/2" high angle ends for the front arms and 3/4"x 5/8" on the rears they seem to hold up fine on the other kart

3. Collapse Details
    Nice job Tazman!

I always wondered if anyone built those plans.

Looks pretty close to the real thing.

Are the plans detailed enough to do all the suspension parts?

Looks like you have a very capable shop there too.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks Bull
    Yes the dimensions of the Arms,spindles,tie rods,and pendulum . The old style sway bar connecting the rear trailing arms is not .
    the lower a arm tabs and rear trailing arm tabs are. That's it on details .
    I have it about done welding, using the Lincoln 140C mig with .025 wire stargold bimix gas , it's working but I'm not to impressed with it, voltage at max and it's still a little cold at the starts , I would think it should blow holes in the .095" material

5. Collapse Details
    Bummer
    I was debating about installing FNR gear box so went to MFG supply web to get the measurements on the comet one , according to them manufacture discontinued them, checked BMI and amazon not available anymore. I guess the debate is over!

6. Collapse Details
    Great progress! I might have missed it but what engine are you planning on running? If you look into the Honda/clone CN250 scooter engines (what most if not all of the Chinese Gokarts use) there are many FNR options available. I am using a CN250 engine on my son's buggy when I get around to building it. The engine is currently sitting in my attic awaiting a rebuild. The easiest/cheapest way to buy one of these engines is to buy a non-running Chinese buggy, pull the motor and electrical, and sell the chassis. I paid $450 for a whole go kart and sold the rolling chassis for $375. It needs a new top end which runs around $125. $200 got me the entire drivetrain!

If you are using a lawnmower engine, a Chinese buggy FNR would work. They hold up pretty well to 800+ pound GoKarts and are extremely cheap.

A 140C isn't really up to the task of welding .095. I'd try to find a 175 or 180. I have a Miller 211 as my garage welder and it does pretty well.

7. Collapse Details
    Fly
    I was thinking of using the predator 212cc 6.5 HP . This one is getting setup for about 5 to 10 year old kids so I figure they would be a lot safer at 20-25 MPH range rather than 40-45. I have one of those Chinese FNR boxes but I would need to raise the engine another 2" to get the output shaft to center line with pivot point which moves the seat a little farther forward. Just don't know yet till I fit everything to a small 6 year old

8. Collapse Details
    tazman---you might be able to score one of those fnrs thru here www.surpluscenter.com

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks Xbird took a look but nope, even checked ebay and no comets just the Chinese ones . Test fit today with one of the gran kids that's 6 years old so it looks like it's all going to work, raise the seat about an inch with adjustable slides . The engine I can raise about an inch and tilt forward about 10% to get the output shaft of the gear box to line up, The nice thing about the Chinese box is it's 1.3:1 ratio in forward so I can run 6:1 on the chain and be plenty low enough for the small engine with 18' turf tires. Tried to start on the arms but when I fired up the old lathe to make the rod end bushings I got one done and the belt broke

10. Collapse Details
    i too dug thru after i posted with no luck, for several years they did have the type you're looking for. (

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast