Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Yerf ninja build
    Started a project a couple weeks ago, and got a lot of good info from madminion on this forum. He did what was in my head, but his metalworking skills are way outta my league. By comparison I'm more like Jethro Bodine.

Been thinking about this project for years. I actually wanted to make a street-going Atom-like car with a front drive donor, but figured I should start smaller. Especially given my lack of a particular set of skills. Anyway, plan now is to put a Ninja 600 motor into a Yerf Dog Spiderbox frame with a new suspension. Wish me luck! Open to any help or criticism. thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Yerf ninja build
    Kart frame small.jpg here's the frame I got for $60. It came with both seats, but all the suspension and roll bar parts are missing. Wish it had the roll bar - I'll have to make that. Was planning to completely redo suspension anyway.
    Last edited by McDog; 08-14-2016 at 08:43 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Here's my engine donor. Its a 96 Ninja 600R. Should have 80-90HP. Its not the 120HP ZX600. Regardless, should be plenty stout. I've only changed the oil and plugs since I picked it up, and it seems to run ok under load. Just doesnt want to idle, and has a low RPM miss. Oil looked ok. I'll pull the oil pan when I remove the engine from the frame.

Actually I bought 2 bikes for $850 from a guy on craigslist - one working and one not. Trying to part them out to help fund the build, and clear out my little shop. I cleaned up the carbs on the 2nd bike and need to swap them over. Hopefully it will run a bit smoother.

Engine donor small.jpg

4. Collapse Details
    The idiot that owned the Yerf Dog frame had cut off the front end, so I spent a couple hours yesterday removing the 6 stubs he left. I also tacked together this little stand to hold the frame 18in off the ground, which is where I want the ground clearance to be.

MartinM - the Mad Minion, posted that he used Yamaha Banshee spindles, so I picked up a pair on ebay. They use 4x156mm bolts so I'm hoping that Polaris wheels will fit. I've seen a lot of Polaris wheels on craigslist for $200-400 or so.

I welded up this little stand to mock up the location and orientation of the spindle to help design my front end. I'm thinking I want the wheels about 60in wide total outside. I think that should give be enough with 18in ground clearance. I do NOT want it to roll over. I dont have any wheels yet, so I cut a 25in strip of OSB to check the clearance to the frame. Looks like plenty of room with 60in width, so my A-arm subframe can be short - like 12in or less.

25in wheel mockup on spindle small.jpg

5. Collapse Details
    Btw, I learned a lot about steering geometry on this site and few others recently. Probably just enough to be dangerous. But I'm hoping using the Banshee spindles is a good shortcut to getting everything right. The KPI looks good from my spindle stand, but the Ackermann appears to be 10 or 12 feet back. Seems odd since a quad is so short, so hoping that with about 7ft of wheelbase it should be ok. Maybe it doesnt matter as much in dirt. If somebody knows what the Ackermann on a Banshee is let me know - maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

I'm planning to make the A-arm subframe very narrow in order to maximize A-arm length and therefore travel. I'm looking at a 8in rack on desertkarts.com for $100. It says travel is 2.25in CENTER to STOP. If this is correct it should turn the wheels about 40 deg, which would give me about a 16ft turning circle if I've calculated it all correctly. These numbers are fantastic. Not sure I believe it...

radius 3.5
    rack stroke 2.25
    a/c ratio 0.6428571
    ASIN in radians 0.6982225
    Turn Angle in deg 40.0
    Turn radius @ 7ft (R=w/Sin(a)) 16.3

6. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    Keep posting pics as you go along! We're always interested in new builds or rebuilds.

7. Collapse Details
    thanks! Will do!

8. Collapse Details
    Just ordered a bunch of metal. 1 in x083. This will be my front sub-frame and A-arms. Hopefully. One day.

- ordered 5/8in weld-in bungs for heim joints on ends of A-arms.
    - ordered 8 nice little bushing kits from KarTek for $7.50 ea. These are 1in steel sleeves with poly bushings inside - just weld your A-arms to them.
    - ordered QA1 5/8 chromemoly high-misalignment heim joints. I'll drill out the banshee spindles to .5in for these. This should be enough to get me going....

afb-ba100_270x202.jpg131826902979_1.jpghal-pcyml10-12t_ml.jpg

9. Collapse Details
    A quick update. Just started to build the front end. I cut 1 pcs of 1in stock 14in long and notched both ends to weld. One end of each goes to the front middle of the frame rail, 1.5in apart. I will hand the lower a-arms on these. I cut 4pcs of 3/16 x 2in 6in long and tacked them together in order to align holes for the aforementioned rods. These plates will slide on to become the a-arm mounting brackets., and add some rigidity. I bought a China Freight hole saw kit and it has 7/8 and 1-1/8 but no 1in, so gotta run to Lowes now. Here’s the stack of mounting tabs in [ATTACH]35224[/ATTACH]their un-drilled state.
    Plates.jpg

10. Collapse Details
    I have a question I'm hoping somebody can help with. For the rear axles I have 2in ID Alum tube, and I have a 1in axle to put in it. I bought some 1in x 2in sealed bearings but the axle is too big. So I'm returning them. Anybody know where to get sealed ball bearings that will fit a 1in axle for a reasonable price, like <$10 ea?

Bearing dia.jpg
    shaft dia.jpg

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast