Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    MrBracket's next attempt at a mini buggy.
    Hey Guys! It's been forever since I've been active on here… I have a bit of ADHD so I get side tracked quite easily.. Life, business, wife, kids, other projects, oh look a squirrel…

As of writing this, Tubby (the beefcake blackbird..) is still together in running condition (but rusting away, I mean it has a wonderful Oregon Patina…) but that will hopefully change real soon!! I'm gonna tear poor fat Tubby apart and build something new!!! My little guys are finally getting old enough to hold a helmet on their heads so it's time to get serious about a sand toy for us.

I happened to see a project on craigslist that someone had already started and it got me thinking I could quickly get the family out on the sand.

WARNING, when you see an unfinished project someone else started just walk away… (there, you've had your warning)

Anyways, I found this project Yamaha Rhino on craigslist. Someone had started the process of stuffing a street bike engine into it. It had mid travel A-arms by Lone Star Racing, Nice Walker Evans shocks, nice pedal set with clutch already installed, and best of all, a Tom Pro Chain Drive Spool with Disc Brake and 930 CV's already installed. The guy seemed pretty knowledgeable about Rhinos and he had gusseted the frame in all the weak places etc… etc… He said it just pretty much needed an engine…. Well “pretty much” was a bit of a stretch.. It always is… Nothing against the guy selling it, he was straight up, he gave up on this and bought a Polaris RZR 1000… I'm just a hopeless dreamer…

Being the impatient ADHD moron that I am, I got all excited, drove a couple hours north in a big 'ol hurry and bought the damn thing. The whole drive there and back I'm dreaming of stuffing my Blackbird motor into this thing and being out on the sand in a couple weeks (did I mention that I'm a moron?)

Long story short, there isn't much about this project Rhino that I actually like… Mid travel (+3” on a Rhino) is no where near enough travel. I don't want a spool, I like having a differential and using turning brakes. I want reverse…. Damn I'm a whiny brat….

So, I'm going to take some of the Rhino, some of Tubby, and a whole lot of virgin material and build what I really want. Which is a: 4 seat side by side with long travel suspension that is comfortable and fast. We only go to the sand, so 2wd is fine. I want it to look like a SxS as much as possible so I'll use as much of the plastics from the Rhino that I can. I also want the convenience of the doors from the Rhino, so much easier than climbing over a cage to get in and out, especially with kiddos…

Let's begin!!
    Just another Dreamer....

My website: http://www.moto-mule.com/

2. Collapse Details
    Re: MrBracket's next attempt at a mini buggy.
    I like! Keep posting pictures!

3. Collapse Details
    Sweet!! I loved my rhinos. Anyways.... looking forward to the build.

4. Collapse Details
    That Rhino (from the pics) looks pretty cool, and doesn't look too far from being finished. Also looks like lots of parts for a new project. :-) Looking forward to watching the project progress!

5. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    Coos Bay, 10 miles from the OREGON DUNES!
    Come down for a ride in minimax, I'll have you sold on a rear motor in one ride
    I could see it going under a fake bed / cover. Travel to maintain narrow width you need to ditch plunging axles, well engineered non-plunge will give 5+ more in of travel. Might be best to trade the 16.50 extremes for some 1300 or 1300plus STUs.
    Maybe even some of the taller Sxs paddles. I don't see why it can't be engineered around the rhino frame.
    I'm here to help feed your addiction
    JGSFAB- CNC'n everything I can. What to see more?
    www.facebook.com/jgsfab or jgsfab on instagram.
    And don't forget jgsturbocom on youtube

6. Collapse Details
    I will indeed have the motor way out back, already sold on that idea for a sand Buggy. I'm thinking of hiding the motor with an big ice chest that has bottom cut out of it Pop open the cooler thinking you'll grab a cold one, nope just a Blackbird motor!!! He he

7. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    I wonder if there are any decent Rhino models floating around... I'd like to see if it can be packaged . No stock out board brakes on the back?

8. Collapse Details
    Nice to see you back at it! I really think you should keep Tubby in one piece, or at least sell it.

9. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    It's really a shot in the balls to sell custom stuff. Everybody wants what the other guy has other wise it has be cheap / 200% better or both. Took a bath on my first car it wasn't fun getting 10 cents on the dollar.

10. Collapse Details
    I learned a lot building Tubby, but it's not a good buggy. It'll beat your kidneys out if you drive it much LOL. It turns out that I value good suspension over fitting on super tight trails... Not what I thought when I started building Tubby.
    The new buggy will have independent rear suspension and be as wide as I can fit in my trailer!!
    Just another Dreamer....

My website: http://www.moto-mule.com/

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast