Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    R1 Single Seat Mini Build!
    Hey Guys! I am from Northern Alberta, Canada and I am starting to get underway on my new build. I picked up the donor bike this winter, it is a 2006 Yamaha R1, Fuel injected, with 12,000 original KM. This week I also picked up a set of 4 Can Am Maverick bead lock wheels, with 27" ITP 900xct tires. I also bought a set of Fox Podium Shocks that were fitted on a Rzr 900. I hope these shocks work for my build, but I may have to get them resprung and revalved once the buggy is assembled and tested.

This buggy is going to be used in sand dunes locally or around our farm and hitting some jumps. I am looking to get about 12-16" of wheel travel, with about a 66" track width. Not sure if I could go more or less travel with that width. I am going to be designing all the suspension components myself. I am going to use 1.25 x .120wall and 1.25 x .083 wall tubing for my build. I will use DOM for the main hoop and roll cage, and all the suspension components. Although, I will most likely use ERW tubing for the rest of the chassis because I have some kicking around the shop.

I have been finishing up my planning and working on some computer design (not my forte). I have been punching numbers for suspension/steering/frame geometry. I will post a photo of one of my attempts at designing the front end suspension for the buggy (just camber curve and wheel scrub). I will begin to factor in roll center, bump steer, caster, rack positioning, ackerman, and possibly a few degrees of rake. This will be done once I get a better grasp on designing suspension and steering (and working on the computer). If you have any pointers to give about suspension design, please let me know. Once I am happy with my numbers, I am going to start building the hubs, spindle/uprights, and work my way in from there.

I am very excited to get going on this build. If anyone has any suggestions or tips to help me out that would be great. I will post some photos below. Thanks Guys!!!

R1 Bike/Engine

Bike the day I picked it up. Some good scratches and dings but the engine runs awesome!!

Here is a rough sketch on paint of what I am looking at for a frame. (if you see any dead tubes, or anywhere that needs to be braced, let me know.)

This is my first attempt at designing the suspensions. I am just looking at camber curve and wheel scrub here, getting and idea for the length of a arms and chassis mounting locations. I set full bump so the chassis is 4' off the ground, not accounting for tire compression or any flex. Scrub radius is set at 5/8" inside the contact patch of the tire.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: R1 Single Seat Mini Build!
    Sounds like it is going to be a beast. I look forward to watching this build. My only concern would be the erw tubing. But i have seen some crawler frames take a beating with erw, so i guess it should be strong enough.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Sounds like it is going to be a beast. I look forward to watching this build. My only concern would be the erw tubing. But i have seen some crawler frames take a beating with erw, so i guess it should be strong enough.
    A beast is the plan! Thank you, and I will think about the tubing situation and reassess. I think if I properly brace the frame I could get away with the ERW. The main hoop and anything overhead will be DOM for sure.

4. Collapse Details
    Would anyone have any ideas or input for front end geometry? I'm not sure where to take my design from here. What numbers on my front suspension look good, and what could be changed? Thanks a lot for any help!

5. Collapse Details
    I have been working on suspension geometry still and I decided to make some cardboard cut outs to reenact all the parts. Upper arm is 19.5" long from inner to outer pivot point, lower is 25". Upright upper and lower pivot points are 7" apart. I am running -7 camber at bump, -2.5 at ride height and -7 at full droop. There is about 1/2" of wheel scrub from droop to ride height and 3/8" from ride height to full bump. When a line is drawn from the wheel at full bump, across to the bottom of the wheel at ride height on the opposing side, I am sitting right around 90 degrees. I am pretty satisfied with these numbers, so I think I am going to start fabbin' up some spindles and uprights to start.

I also ordered a set of heim joints, weld in bungs, and high misalignment spacers, for the end of the a arms and tie rods, so they should arrive in about a week or two...

6. Collapse Details
    Some top end CAD work there!

7. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    sounds like you are starting off right taking the time in cad and cardboard
    design from the wheels in and suspension first, then the roll cage.
    at a quick glance and skim read,, your suspension numbers look good

ERW is just fine and in a proper design more than strong enough for a buggy.
    I use it in most of mine and have flipped ,barrel rolled and hit 2 trees at speed over the years and it has proven itself more than strong enough

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy View Post
    Some top end CAD work there!
    LOL, I have done some more 'advanced' say CAD work since my first post. C(carboard)AD works well also!

Thanks Proto! I have been working on planning this buggy for awhile now, and I think I am quite satisfied with my suspension numbers as well. So I will start working on uprights this week.

Although, one thing holding me back is the spacing between upper and lower pivot points on the upright/spindle. Will 7" be enough spacing or should I up that to about 8"? Thanks guys!

9. Collapse Details
    lol Yah if you saw the pictures of Proto and how high and far he was jumping at Silver Lake Sand Dunes you will undersand he does not baby his creations. Wish I would have been there one of those days.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

10. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar

Thanks Nutz, here is one from 8 years ago

Linden, I design and build my uprights 7" so they can still fit inside 10" wheels
    if going with 12" wheels you can go 8"

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast