Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: R1 Single Seat Mini Build!
    The photo dump of the shifter must be followed by a quick description.

A shaft on bronze bushings runs behind the motor with 2 tabs welded to it. On the magneto side of the motor, the tab hooks up to the original R1 shifter linkage. The clutch side has another tab welded on the shift shaft which the push pull cable is bolted to (from a Polaris RZR).

Here is how I calculated the linkage size for the shift shaft and the push pull cable mounting location on the shifter handle.

The shift handle is made of 7/8Ē tube (same size as a handle bar) to allow the clutch and handle grip to fit properly. The push pull cable connect the shift lever to the shifter shaft that is behind the engine. I built tabs to weld to the frame that the push pull cable is mounted too as pictured.

It may not be all clear so ask if something doesnít make sense or if I should change anything ! R1 Single Seat Mini Build! thanks for looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Collapse Details
    R1 Single Seat Mini Build!
    I am working on fitting up the Axles and assuring I cut the retaining rings grooves in the right spot.

I built Spacers for my intrepid Hubs to help hold them together and make sure the nut on the end does not bottom out on the cv stub before it thightens against the hub. Therefore, there is a Spacer on the back and a spacer on the front.

I assembled the rear end spool (twice, I forgot to put the mounting plates on the hubs before bolting together the spool). Fitted up the Axles and ran through the movement of the suspension. It seems to me there is nearly zero plunge in the Axles - hence I have set my CV pivot points inline with the upper and lower A-arm pivot points properly. I am unable to see the axle sliding on the splines when I cycle the suspension. Maybe a measuring device would pick up something but Iím more than happy with the plunge numbers (something small)!

I will cut snapping groves in my Axles tomorrow and hopefully get the Axles fitted up for an extremely slow test ride in the near future!!

3. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Good looking work. So no binding through travel? Excellent!

4. Collapse Details
    R1 Single Seat Mini Build!
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    Good looking work. So no binding through travel? Excellent!
    Thank you! No binding at all, there seems to be lots of clearance around the joints and axles through travel. I got one side all buttoned up and it turned out awesome. Should be (I say should!) a bullet proof axle and spool set up, but time will tell.

Here is a photo of the Axle mounted on the left side. Iíll post a full update this week R1 Single Seat Mini Build!

5. Collapse Details
    Nice! That looks good.

6. Collapse Details
    Only thing taking them out is time and use. Thus I hope one far off day they do need some repair.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    Only thing taking them out is time and use. Thus I hope one far off day they do need some repair.
    You got it! I hope to ride it enough it does need repairR1 Single Seat Mini Build! thatís right!

8. Collapse Details
    Well K-fab...I spoke too soon. We have interference!! No binding, but the CV boot will rub on the top of the bottom control arm.

At full droop on both sides. I plan to redesign the rear uprights this winter to accommodate the brake calipers and rotors have to use, so maybe Iíll design a set of sweeped lower control arms. Sheet metal boxed arms maybe...? Too heavy or not needed?

As far as progress I got a few things done. Axles mounted and rear ending buttoned up. I also doubled up the rear chain tension turn buckles. The buggy is way harder to roll around now with the extra rolling resistance from the drive train and solid rear axle.

I used black electrical tape wrapped around the Axles to take up the space between the axle and cv boots. Clamped tight.

Fire wall mock-up with cardboard.

Cut out of Aluminum.

Bent and fits like a glove.

Any ideas or tips for mounting aluminum panels so they donít vibrate too much?

Thanks for looking!

9. Collapse Details
    As far as the boots hitting the web on the lower arm......if your left and right arm are symmetrical then just swap them from side to side......that puts the webbing at the bottom of the arm which should leave plenty of room for the CV boot.......and if they are not symmetrical then just cut the web off the top of the arm and weld a new web on the bottom!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Linden318
    Well K-fab...I spoke too soon. We have interference!! No binding, but the CV boot will rub on the top of the bottom control arm.
    DOH!!

Is that at full bump or full suspension movement? If it's not happening with the shock on, you'll be good. Otherwise, I'll agree with OBD - put the webbing below. That webbing isn't extremely necessary as you're already supporting the arm at the pivot points. You can get away with cutting it completely out.

Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast