Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: R1 Single Seat Mini Build!
    That is wicked, I will take your word on the strength of ERW! Man, you launch those buggies, that is awesome Proto!!

Okay, I will have 12" wheels, but I think I will stick to 7" because I have all my pivot points set with 7" upright spacing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Collapse Details
    Started working on the uprights. I am 'machining' them out of 2x2x1/8" square tubing.
    I printed sheets off AutoCAD to line up the pivot points and the spindle location on the upright, then cut out the holes where the stub and hub assembly will weld too.
    I am going to use a standard high speed 4x4inch trailer Hub, and then I will build plates to adapt the bolt pattern to my Can Am wheels.
    Just waiting on the idler hub, bearings and stub shaft to come in. I will probably start working on the bolt pattern adapters tomorrow.

Thanks for following!

3. Collapse Details
    R1 Single Seat Mini Build!
    A small update tonight!

Started working on the plates to adapt the trailer hub pattern to the bolt pattern of the wheels I will be using.

I used 1/4" plate and rough cut them out with the torch.

Image1466563219.206185.jpg

Bolted them together once the first few holes were drilled and did some more grinding around the outside. My homemade lathe work lol

Image1466563229.101870.jpg

Image1466563238.725879.jpg

Got all the pilot holes drilled, outer holes will be bored out to 3/8 for the rims, and inner 4 bolts will be 1/2 for the Hubs to bolt to. Middle hole is a pilot hole for a 2 1/2" hole saw.

Image1466563255.126141.jpg

Got the middle holes drilled out, just need to finish cleaning up the second plate.

Image1466563264.222676.jpg

Let me know if photos are not showing up. Thanks guys!

4. Collapse Details
    Picked up my front hubs the other day. They should work perfect, I am just scheeming ideas to mount brake rotos to them...hmmm. Here they are, just a 4 bolt trailer stub axle.
    Here are the Hubs:

Also a bit of an update again, slow and steady! I welded the wheel lugs to the back of the plates.

They fit well mounted up to the trailer front hubs!

Bolt Pattern matches the wheels! perfect...

Cutting the stub shafts to the correct length to mount in the uprights.

Little jig I build to help get the proper angle of the stub shafts relative to the uprights.

Not the prettiest welds on the back of the uprights, but they'll hold!

Upright nicely shinned up with the stub shafts welded in. Just black tape around the stubs to protect them while doing other work on the uprights.

Next is to start building a arm jigs. Still waiting on DOM tubing for the suspension parts, and heim joints. Should be here beginning of next week! What do you guys recommend for a arm jigs? would a well build wood design work for a one or two time job? Or would it be better to build them out of steel? Also, when measuring the length of the a arms in the jig, how far in would you thread the heim joints into the welded bung when building the arms to the desired length?

Thnaks for following!
    Last edited by Linden1234321; 06-25-2016 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Add another photo

5. Collapse Details
    Does anyone have any advice on the A arm jigs or placement of heim joints? Thanks!

6. Collapse Details
    Got a shipment in the mail today!! Heim joints, weld in bungs and misalignment spacers. Just need to pick up some Tubing and I'll start building a arms and working my way into the chassis.

7. Collapse Details
    Your weld in bungs are on backwards.

8. Collapse Details
    Lol I know, that's just how they were shipped.

9. Collapse Details
    Got some more work done on my front hub/spindle/uprights. I have brake rotors(still need to be machined) mounted, and callipers mounted now. It's all coming together nicely. Going to pick up some DOM tubing on Monday and start building a arms.

10. Collapse Details
    I found a gear box at the salvage yard the other day. The sled clutch, shift lever and brake assemblies caught my eye so I picked it up. I am not sure what kind of vehicle it was from although It has reverse, so it would be awesome to remove the sled clutch and hook it up behind my engine. I am not sure if it will be able to handle the power or torque of the R1, but if anyone has an idea where it is from, let me know! Thanks.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast